Garmin Software ?

TxRedNeck

Short answer:

MetroGuide has maps, but no autorouting information (after ver. 4). If you have an autorouting GPS (Legend C and above, I believe) this map does not have the data to do that.

City Select replaced MetroGuide, and had autorouting data. Version 7 was the last version.

City Navigator is the latest iteration of the software. CN versions prior to the latest had very large map tiles, and were best suited for Garmin car units. The latest version has smaller map tiles that work better for hand-held units with limited memory.

What is the difference between Metro Guide, City Navigator and City Select. I have looked on the Garmin site but the descriptions sound the same. I do understand the the NT version is compressed differently.

MetroGuide doesn't have the routing information for use on the GPS (only on the computer), fine for non-routing units, like my eTrex Vista.

City Navigator is the newest as Garmin is changing information providers. Streets are somewhat improved, but some are worse. So streets and POI information accuracy are almost a toss up ovr City Select, the previous product. Garmin is trying to get everyone to move to City Navigator.

The biggest advantage of City Navigator is that the map segments (or sections) are larger. Lage map segments help because many of the new GPSr units with a GigaByte or two of memory hit the 2048 loadable map segments firmware limit before they run out of memory, so larger segments are better. The smaller segments of City Select are better for my eTrex Vista and Quest, with only 24 MB and 128 MB, respectively, as I can fine tune what areas I include with the smaller segments.

EDIT: As mentioned by Sputnik, I've heard CN version 8 (versus version 7) is getting smaller map segments again, but not quite as small as City Select. When I get my CN available, I'll compare myself. Maybe it's a compromise as Garmin want's to use CN for all purposes. And even CN version 8, with more of the smaller segments, can get the whole US in memory with the segment count limit. So it made sense to reduce the segment size and increase the number of maps. But the only problem is that I won't be able to add as many Topo maps without going over the map count.

Edited by BigLarry

Short answer:

MetroGuide has maps, but no autorouting information (after ver. 4). If you have an autorouting GPS (Legend C and above, I believe) this map does not have the data to do that.

City Select replaced MetroGuide, and had autorouting data. Version 7 was the last version.

City Navigator is the latest iteration of the software. CN versions prior to the latest had very large map tiles, and were best suited for Garmin car units. The latest version has smaller map tiles that work better for hand-held units with limited memory.

Sputnik, Congratulations! That is the clearest, most concise and accurate explanation of the differences in Mapsource "streets & roads" software that I have ever seen. With an added blurb about "Topo" showing only the basic roads and NOT having autorouting capabilities I think that Robert ought to include it in the FAQ at the top of the forum.

Many posts could be referred directly to that explanation.

I have the 60CSX w/ 1GB card. I do not want to load the whole US but just a few surrounding states.

What about TOPO maps. I understand that the 24k maps are the parks wich I dont want or need but what aout the US topo 100k is that the only one out for the 60CSX.

Now to the lakes what is the differnece between Inland Lakes and Recreational Lakes with Fishing Hot Spots

Thanks for all the help.

City Navigator is tne newest as Garmin is changing information providers. .

Say what? This is the first time I've heard this!

It's what I read on another thread, where Garmin was going from ???? to NavTek for their information base. It seemed the change occured about a year or so ago, when going from City Select to City Navigator.

The change in information data sources was used to explain why some streets and POIs improved and others degraded or went missing. Like some were complaining many campgrounds in City Select went completely missing in City Navigator.

I could be wrong. I only repeat what was on the other thread, perhaps a week ago. But I thought I saw supporting evidence in a couple places too.

I have the 60CSX w/ 1GB card. I do not want to load the whole US but just a few surrounding states.

What about TOPO maps. I understand that the 24k maps are the parks wich I dont want or need but what aout the US topo 100k is that the only one out for the 60CSX.

Now to the lakes what is the differnece between Inland Lakes and Recreational Lakes with Fishing Hot Spots

Thanks for all the help.

If you don't do a lot of traveling in the bigger metropolitan areas where you might need the absolute latest minor street information, then I think you would even be fine with the older version of Metroguide(4.01) and Topo. I have both loaded for all of Colorado. That older version (MG4) will autoroute on your PC as well as your GPSr. Topo will not autoroute.

Neither of those are "locked" software so you don't have to put up with that hassle.

Sorry but I don't know about the Lakes software.

My GPSr is a Map76CS with 115 mb ....not an "x"

Edited by Grasscatcher

This is the way I understand it:

MetroGuide: Used several years ago, handheld units did not autoroute, and did not need the ndata loaded to the unit. Version 4? was built with map data from Etak? who had different licensing requirements than the current supplier. Version 4 autorouted on the unit, version 5 and later do not. (Yes, there is a "hack" to get around this) Newer versions are from Navteq.

City Select (CS): First included with the autorouting Garmin GPS V version 4. Provided by Navtech (later Navteq) and was the first street maps to require you to unlock the maps for your unit, I understand this is a Navteq requirement.

City Navigator (CN): First included with the Street Pilot III, VERY similar to the City Select maps.

CS and CN have been updated by Navteq and Garmin about once a year, and I beleive the Metroguide software has been updated yearly with similar version numbers.

With this last revision, Garmin has discontinued CS and the new version of CN has map "chunks" the size of individual states. This will make downloading maps easier for users of newer units as they typically have larger memories.

I do not yet own Metroguide so I cannot comment on the size of the map "chunks"

As for TOPO, personally I see very little value in this product, the contours are metric that have been converted to ft. and are at odd intervals. I strongly suggest learning how to make your own here: http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm

Much better results using data you already paid for. (with taxes)

Edited by byrdog
This is the way I understand it:

. . .

With this last revision, Garmin has discontinued CS and the new version of CN has map "chunks" the size of individual states. This will make downloading maps easier for users of newer units as they typically have larger memories.

. . .

CS map tiles were about 1MB each. CN ver. 7 had very large tiles (many too big to fit on a Legend C with only 24MB of storage). The latest version of CN (version 8) has map tiles in the 3-5MB range, so users of older hand-helds without SD storage can still use them.

I usually don't speak up unless I know what I am talking about....so I'll keep this real short.

I never owned ver 7 of either product, but I am surprised at how big the map segments are in CN 8

Also, I cannot tell you the difference between CN8 and CN NT 8, I suspect NT has some kind of compression but how do the map segments get uncomperssed, by the handheld unit? I don't know?

I run CN NT 8 on my 60Cx and aside from a few glitches, it runs well.

We should put together a definitive summary of the different maps and ask DFale to include them on his site:

http://www.gpsinformation.net/

99.9% of your questions can be answered there.

I usually don't speak up unless I know what I am talking about....so I'll keep this real short.

I never owned ver 7 of either product, but I am surprised at how big the map segments are in CN 8

Also, I cannot tell you the difference between CN8 and CN NT 8, I suspect NT has some kind of compression but how do the map segments get uncomperssed, by the handheld unit? I don't know?

I run CN NT 8 on my 60Cx and aside from a few glitches, it runs well.

We should put together a definitive summary of the different maps and ask DFale to include them on his site:

http://www.gpsinformation.net/

99.9% of your questions can be answered there.

City Navigator NT has the maps compressed. You can fit the entire U.S. on a 1GB microSD card. However, you MUST have an NT capable unit. There is a listing of these units on the Garmin site. In the past these units have pretty much been the in-vehicle units. However, the new Venture Cx, Vista Cx, 60 Cx and CSx, and the 76 Cx and CSx units are also able to use the NT version.

Thanks for all the help.

If you don't do a lot of traveling in the bigger metropolitan areas where you might need the absolute latest minor street information, then I think you would even be fine with the older version of Metroguide(4.01) and Topo. I have both loaded for all of Colorado. That older version (MG4) will autoroute on your PC as well as your GPSr. Topo will not autoroute.

Neither of those are "locked" software so you don't have to put up with that hassle.

Sorry but I don't know about the Lakes software.

My GPSr is a Map76CS with 115 mb ....not an "x"

What do you mean when you say that TOPO will not autoroute? I have TOPO Canada and I use it in the City to find various places. It gives me turn by turn directions. Isn't that what autoroute is all about or am I missing something here?

No you are not missing anything and understand correctly......It was TOPO USA that I was refering to that does not auto route / give turn by turn directions. Sorry I missed your location.

Thanks for the prompt reply. it is strange that Garmin would not put this feature in TOPO USA.

No you are not missing anything and understand correctly......It was TOPO USA that I was refering to that does not auto route / give turn by turn directions. Sorry I missed your location.

Thanks for the prompt reply. it is strange that Garmin would not put this feature in TOPO USA.

Using Mapsource Topo extensively, I'd say it would be a poor candidate for auto routing. The roads and trails look like they were poorly and very incompltely mapped 30 years ago. It has only the major city steets, a few of the small streets (without names), and only 1/3 to 1/2 of the fire roads and trails in remote areas, often not the common ones or direct ones. And some roads are really trails and vice-versa.

It's mostly good for mapping with geographic featues and contours. The roads and trails are weak and like the other geographic features, are only there as a guide.

It could be Canada has a better and more current map data source than the US.

This is wrong.

Metroguide are still being offered.

MetruGuide v8 Europe did come out some month after CityNavigator v8 Europe.

My guess is that MG v8 NA is also coming out.

This is wrong.

Metroguide are still being offered.

MetruGuide v8 Europe did come out some month after CityNavigator v8 Europe.

My guess is that MG v8 NA is also coming out.

Sorry. I didn't mean to say that they discontinued MetroGuide. Only that when Garmin introduced City Select for North America, they moved their autorouting functionality to that platform. Metroguide is still produced and still updated. It is the preferred software, I believe, for non-autorouting handheld units, since it is less expensive, its map tiles are small, and the map data transferred to the GPSr omits the routing data (unless you hack into the autorouting data). If I owned a B&W Legend, which only has 8MB of memory and doesn't autoroute anyway, MetroGuide North America would be the way to go.