baseline coords - ground zero

Jack_Sparrow

hello,

when you search for caches in and around a town or city, Geocaching.com determines baseline coordinates to calculate distances to those caches - those baseline coords are ground zero - did someone know:

- are there ground zero coords for non-us cities too?

- how did i find them?

thanks for help

Take a look at Google Earth.

You can search for any location such as a city and it will zoom in to a reasonably central part of the general location. It shows the Lat/Long of the position of the cursor.

You can also use Google Earth to examine high resolution (for most places) imagery of all cacahe locations. Paste the co-ordinates from the cachepage directly into the searchbox on Google Earth and it will place a marker very accurately over the location of the cache.

You can always go to maporama.com and just search on the city. It will give you a set of coordinates.

But I don't know if there's an official "ground zero" for every city in the world, and I'm pretty sure I haven't seen a complete list anywhere.

I do have a table of 310 non-US cities and 754 US towns and reference points that I found on the web somewhere back in 2002...

hello,

when you search for caches in and around a town or city, Geocaching.com determines baseline coordinates to calculate distances to those caches - those baseline coords are ground zero - did someone know:

- are there ground zero coords for non-us cities too?

- how did i find them?

thanks for help

There's nothing "official" about these locations. It's a decision made by the map company. For small towns, it's usually the town square, courthouse, or post office. For cities, it's usually the central business district. In other cases, they may simply calculate the geographic center.