Alaska Geocoin, is now available

Turtletoes/Biggie

According to there website the coins have all been struck and are in the process of being engraved with tracking nums and such and they will post here when available.

Geocache Alaska Website

Thanks for that info. Just checked it out, and really like this year's design. Sure hope they'll have some for us Lower 49-types!

There will be PLENTY for you lower 48 types, unlike Green Jeeps for us :D

Hi All:

Now that the coin is out of the bag, we ARE in the process of rolling out :P the coins at local events as they become available from the mint :). So far, only about 1/3 of the coins are complete. Online sales to the rest of the world will be available after September 7 via the GeocacheAlaska!!! Website.

We didn't want to get ahead of the game by accepting orders before we had all the coins in hand. We'll post to this thread (now that one on the Alaska coin is open :huh:) and update the webpage when online sales are ready to go live.

Thanks for the feedback on the design :). We like them, too! :)

Edited by Ladybug Kids

According to there website the coins have all been struck and are in the process of being engraved with tracking nums and such and they will post here when available.

Geocache Alaska Website

Thanks for that info. Just checked it out, and really like this year's design. Sure hope they'll have some for us Lower 49-types!

There will be PLENTY for you lower 48 types, unlike Green Jeeps for us :)

Last week I left my green jeep up there for you guys. I guess you will all have to share it.

Last week I left my green jeep up there for you guys. I guess you will all have to share it.

Aw, man...it's down in Sitka where a mainlander can't even drive to it :). Hmmm...have to decide if it's worth 20,000 frequent flyer miles plus a rental car to go get it :).

That's right! Sitka! It's part of Alaska... right down the Inside Passage from Juneau, America's only state capital off the road network (unless you drive through another country and then take the "Marine Highway" via ferry to get there...). :) I'm sure a cruise ship visitor will have great fun hunting down that green jeep!

Here's a photo of the first activated 2006 Alaska State Geocoin hunting its way across caches in the Matanuska - Susitna River valley on Saturday Aug 12th. It's shown at the 'C for Cookie' cache in great company - a 'scobey' sig item and 'Feep #31 Palmer AK' TB. The Alaska Mint did an awesome job with the 2006 Wolf art... read all about them at www.geocachealaska.org - they're very affordable at $9 each for bronze!

a8d1cf7d-52ec-44af-ba6e-49dcd0d3f778.jpg

That coin is hideous.

Aaachhh! Ignore me. I am just trying to convince myself I don't need another full set of coins from AK. I don't think it's working :tired:

As usual, you guys do great work!

Aw, c'mon. A full set costs less than a pair of running flats these days. :anitongue:

Thanks for the compliment! They are shiny and precious!

:laughing: OOOOHHHHHH! Canb anyone tell me where I can get the Alaska Geocoin!

A limited number of bronze coins will be available at this Anchorage AK event tomorrow. Anyone in town's welcome to come by between noon and 3pm...

On-line sales are set to begin soon. Check the Alaska Geocoin link at Geocache Alaska's website for an update. Alaskan cachers seem to love the design, with an unprecedented number of the 24k gold limited editions selling quickly - they're gorgeous!

GeocacheAlaska! is proud to announce that the 2006 Alaska Geocoins are now available for online sales in the US and Internationally.

Like last year, they are availabe in three versions: bronze, 1 ounce 0.999 silver, and 1 ounce 0.999 silver with 24K gold relief. This year, the coins are also gc.com trackable and come with a custom icon: ak32flag2.gif

brassfront.JPGsilverfront.JPGgoldfront.JPG

The posted photos really don't do the coins justice, so we'll post new images once glennk721 works his photographic magic.

Use the following links to purchase your coins:

United States

All Other Countries

Questions??? E-mail coinsales@geocachealaska.org.

In advance, thanks for your support of this project.

Hmmm...website says postage included, yet I was still charged an extra $1.50 for shipping.

Yeah, I loaded the fixed fee into the "Shipping" field for PayPal for lack of a better place to put it. We stated on the webpage that it's "$1.50 added for packaging and handling." This project is being run on the thinnest of margins, so it was the only way we could figure how to recover one-time cost for the bubble wrap and inner envelopes, the first ounce postage for the envelope, and the recovery of the $0.30 fixed part of the PayPal fee, etc. Those costs are fixed whether someone buys one geopin or a whole stack of coins, so we didn't want to add those costs into the price of each coin. Hope this helps.

Hmmm...website says postage included, yet I was still charged an extra $1.50 for shipping.

I got my order in.

FYI.

As a matter of fact, Point #3 on the website does state " All on-line orders will automatically have $1.50 added for packaging and handling."

Hey, I'm a newbie here... I don't have to tell you that shipping and handling is always extra. Now, I will expect my coins to come securely wrapped and shipped in a padded envelope or such.

Yeah, I loaded the fixed fee into the "Shipping" field for PayPal for lack of a better place to put it. We stated on the webpage that it's "$1.50 added for packaging and handling." This project is being run on the thinnest of margins, so it was the only way we could figure how to recover one-time cost for the bubble wrap and inner envelopes, the first ounce postage for the envelope, and the recovery of the $0.30 fixed part of the PayPal fee, etc. Those costs are fixed whether someone buys one geopin or a whole stack of coins, so we didn't want to add those costs into the price of each coin. Hope this helps.

Sorry to be redundant here. Ladybug Kids got their answer in before I could finish my note!

I always expect extra $$ for shipping/handling...I guess I was just confused, since it says "2006 Bronze Alaska Geocoin in plastic flip ($9.00, postage included)" by the coin...I ordered quickly, that I did not read all that other info, and read only the stuff by the coin. My bad!

No worries!!! I took the spirit of the post as one of seeking clarification. :laughing:

P.S. Love your personal coin!

This coin looks awesome! I'd like to get a silver one, but I'm wondering, does the silver one state it's silver purity (e.g. .999) and that it is one troy oz? There seem to be no pictures of the back posted for the gold or silver coins.

-hybridgeek

if you check on the alaska website which address is in my first post in this thread. it says 1 ounce 0.999 Silver in airtight capsule and velvet display box. and 1 ounce 0.999 Silver w/ 24K gold relief in airtight capsule and velvet display box.

as well as..

August 15: The 1.5 inch/39 mm coin are struck in solid commercial bronze (85% copper, 15% zinc, also called brass), one ounce 0.999 silver, and one ounce 0.999 silver with 24K gold relief.

so yes its .999 silver and one ounce. I personally have last years set and they are beautiful coins, bronze and the silver and silver w/gold relief. I cannot wait to get these in the mail!

This coin looks awesome! I'd like to get a silver one, but I'm wondering, does the silver one state it's silver purity (e.g. .999) and that it is one troy oz? There seem to be no pictures of the back posted for the gold or silver coins.

-hybridgeek

The back of each of the coins is the same...Denali with the Alaskan-style cacher looking for an Alaskan-style cache.

The silver coins are one Troy ounce, 0.999 purity. The purity is stamped on the edge of the coin (I'll add that info. to the webpages after tonight's Anchorage Event or once I get back home to Fairbanks). A photo of the edge stamping for the 2005 coin is posted on the 2005 Alaska geocoin webpage. There is also a photo of the backside of the silver coin there.

I'm off to the Anchorage Event Cache. Won't be checking this thread until late tonight. I'll post a status of the remaining premium coins at that time as well. There are still plenty left.

Thanks, all, for all your support.

I just ordered one. Looks like sweet coin!

I got my order in for a bronze (this will be my first Alaska coin). They look very nice online but I hear they are much nicer in person so I'm very anxious to get mine. Would love the silver but that is too rich for my blood. For me to spend that kind of money, it will be a proof Silver Eagle where I know it will appreciate in value. At any rate, nice coins.

For me to spend that kind of money, it will be a proof Silver Eagle where I know it will appreciate in value. At any rate, nice coins.

The coins are all proof quality, produced by striking the planchets twice using a pressure of 160-180 tons.

We got ours a couple days ago and I have to say there are OUTSTANDING!!! (Helps to have "geo-kids" at our family home in Peter's Creek) The quality of course is very good, but the raw amount of detail on the back with all the fireweed is just amazing. Can't express enough how nicely the old timer marching by gps looks on this coin. Good job :D

It was standing room only at the Anchorage Alaska Coin Distribution Event / Dinner last evening - and there was a non-stop line at the sales table! Don't delay in placing your order if you'd like to get in on a 'proof-quality' silver or 24K gold on silver 2006 Alaska geocoin... and the bronze beauties are moving fast too. Local Alaska cachers are buying the antique silver and antique gold geopins in bulk to use as cache swag - but you can order those online as well if you aren't able to visit Alaska and find one in a cache up here. We sold several coins and pins to staff and regular patrons (muggles all) at the restaurant - they looked in on the festivities and were bowled over by the intricate detail on these coins.

If I remember correctly, If you were to order a coin of the same size in silver from the Alaska Mint, the 2005 silver coin cost less. Is that correct?

If so, the 2005 and then the 2006 will be worth more than a standard silver coin.

So it is valuable in and of itself. That is the way I look a it. :D