Archive or Not to Archive

BomberJjr

There is one cache that I planted early in my experiences in geocaching and have since grown to feel its a bit lame and could be done better. Sometimes I think I should archive it and use the container to make a sequel to the cache that would be placed in a better spot, most likely more than .10 miles away from the original spot. I also wonder if it would be wrong to archive it, b/c of what I think about it. Any suggestions?

Edited by BomberJjr

There is one cache that I planted early in my experiences in geocaching and have since grown to feel its a bit lame and could be done better. Sometimes I think I should archive it and use the container to make a sequel to the cache that would be placed in a better spot, most likely more than .10 miles away from the original spot. I also wonder if it would be wrong to archive it, b/c of what I think about it. Any suggestions?

If you aren't happy with it, you shouldn't be expending your energies on it. Go for a new, more enjoyable cache! Just make sure that you place the new cache at least in front of the reviewers before you archive the old one so that someone doesn't see you archiving that and place a cache before yours. :P

Your cache, your decision. I've got two that I adopted that are in the same boat. Although some really like finding my tiney (sp) cave cache. The other is simply a slog through the muck and prickers, ticks and skeeters. I think it's life is coming to an end... :P

I have a couple of micros that I put out early on that I think could have been done better. One of them was put out mostly because there was a big empty space on the caching map and I wanted to fill the void. Since then someone placed a multi cache about 1/2 mile away.

I've thought about archiving them, but both of them get found on a regular basis. Granted most of the logs are "found it-TFTC." but they almost seem to popular to archive.

AR_kayaker

In my opinion... If the cache is not up to your current standards by all means archive it. There will be plenty of lame ones sprouting up to replace it, so the local population will not suffer in it's absence. I think a person's caches tell a lot about them. Don't leave one out there that isn't you.

I have a scenario to ask in this subject...

Cacher A wants to archive a cache that has been muggled. The decision to do this is because the area has become worse as a hangout from the juvies' place from across a field, and not only did I find a homemade pipe (your guess?) there, but there were other nasty used trashy items as well. Cacher B wants Cacher A to let B place a new container so Cacher C can get the stats.

What would YOU do?

I personally would archive the cache and let B have the space if they want to take care of the trash, condoms, "weeds" and anything else that would make this area no longer a fun cache location.

I think a person's caches tell a lot about them. Don't leave one out there that isn't you.
There are many states that have a version of Finest Caches in "This" State bookmark list.

I ought to start a bookmark list that is the exact opposite of the above example. A Lamest Caches in "This" State bookmark list ... As edscott suggested to me the other day, the key thing is that people would be encouraged to identify THEIR OWN "bottom 10%", slated for archival and later replacement/improvement!

Imagine the upgrades! (Seriously ... imagine it for your own caches hidden ...)

Edited by MissJenn