Statue of Liberty

geosliders

We're going to be in NYC this weekend to tsee the Statue of Liberty and we're trying to find a cache on Liberty Island. We know it's considered federal lands but we thought there would at least be few virtuals there and we can't seem to find any. If anyone knows of any caches there please let us know. We'll be coming in from Liberty State Park in NJ and we've already scouted out a few caches at that park. Thanks for the help.

Liberty State Park is a state park and allows caches.

Liberty Island is a National Park Service park and does not allow caches.

I don't know why a virtual was never created there, but it is what it is.

I could still enjoy it without a smiley though. :(

I've never been there myself because I am waiting to go when my wife and I can go together.

And do remember that getting to the Statue of Liberty is more difficult than getting on an airplane.

The travel bug that I took to the Stataue of Liberty Arnold visits the Stataue of Liberty made it through security okay. But do not carry a pen knife, and expect to get frisked.

Definitely stop off at Ellis Island on the way. That is a great visit. No caches there either.

Enjoy! She's a great lady.

They've stopped letting people go all the way to the top of the statue, haven't they? We went up a couple months before 9-11 and I'm glad that we got to go before things got tight.

Yes, they have. I think they just said on the news the other day that it's permanent, now. Originally, I think it was supposed to just be a temporary thing.

They've stopped letting people go all the way to the top of the statue, haven't they? We went up a couple months before 9-11 and I'm glad that we got to go before things got tight.

Yes, they have. I think they just said on the news the other day that it's permanent, now. Originally, I think it was supposed to just be a temporary thing.

:P

Hello,

Sorry for using this topic from 11 years ago, but I think it's better than creating a new one. Could someone who has a good understanding of the Earthcache rules let me know whether it would be possible to create an Earthcache on Liberty Island? Who do I need to contact for permission? I have a very good idea.

23 hours ago, pantadeusz said:

Could someone who has a good understanding of the Earthcache rules let me know whether it would be possible to create an Earthcache on Liberty Island?

It's possible.  Liberty Island started out as a natural island but was expanded using fill.

One of our earthcaches in Dry Tortugas National Park is sort of based on that idea; you're welcome to take a look at it for inspiration.  You'll of course need primary sources connected to Liberty Island, but the National Park Service is usually pretty good at having all kinds of geological studies on their properties online.

You'll also want to go through the other earthcaches in the area to make sure you're not duplicating an existing earthcache.  If there's another in the area that is based on the same or similar geology lesson, it would be an uphill battle to get a new one published.

I recommend you read through these threads for tips on working with the US National Park Service:

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/225186-permission-in-national-parks/#comment-5305326

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/321047-earthcaching-in-the-great-smoky-mountains-national-park/

Edited by hzoi
On 14/08/2006 at 3:35 AM, mtn-man said:

Actually, that is a locationless cache for other statues like the Statue of Liberty, not for the original. The OP was looking for caches regarding the statue in NYC itself. Interesting look at an old locationless cache though.

Oh cool! I once visited the mine the copper originated from, in Norway. There's a tiny statue of liberty there.

1 hour ago, hzoi said:

It's possible.  Liberty Island started out as a natural island but was expanded using fill.

One of our earthcaches in Dry Tortugas National Park is sort of based on that idea; you're welcome to take a look at it for inspiration.  You'll of course need primary sources connected to Liberty Island, but the National Park Service is usually pretty good at having all kinds of geological studies on their properties online.

You'll also want to go through the other earthcaches in the area to make sure you're not duplicating an existing earthcache.  If there's another in the area that is based on the same or similar geology lesson, it would be an uphill battle to get a new one published.

Yes.  There is a series in Liberty State Park in Jersey City.  Liberty State Park is all landfill.  So the check them first.

As an aside, when my father was a kid (early last century), people could climb the ladder inside the arm, to get to the torch!

4 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

As an aside, when my father was a kid (early last century), people could climb the ladder inside the arm, to get to the torch!

As another aside, when I went in the 1970s, the ladder to the arm was closed, but you could still climb to the windows in the crown.