small woman but lots of stuff to carry?

lisaapb

Hi guys.

I'm new to geocaching and per the recommendation of some experienced cachers, I've been doing my homework on what to buy, what to bring etc.

I am getting a little concerned and wanted some opinions. I am only 95 lbs, so I was told to get a 50oz hydration pack. Fine, I will do so. But how do you carry along the rest of this stuff - small first aid pack, cell phone, food, notebook, camera, PDA, bug spray, sweater....

Do I get a waist pack in addition to the hydration pack? (many of the hydration packs around 50oz don't look big enough to store much else than water and maybe 1-2 other small items.) And don't people find all this extra stuff alot to carry around/heavy to cart around?

I will be geocaching with my husband often, but I want to be able to do this on my own, as well , so I would appreciate any thoughts, as well as how other people built like me are handling this.

Thanks very much for your help.

lisa

You might consider a small backpack. A small daypack (or, for a few dollars more, a small hydration backpack with built-in hydration bladder) would easily carry most anything you'll need and you should be able to find one that matches your size. Hydration backpacks are designed for bikers, so they're kept small by design.

I'm still fairly new to geocaching, but what I carry with me depends on where I'm going. For urban caches, I don't take much more than a bottle of water and a hip-pack with some swag and a pen. For ones in the wild (which I much prefer!), I take a backpack -- either a small daypack for short excursions or a large multi-day pack for longer trips. I'm an experienced backpacker and most of the things I want with me while geocaching in the wild are the same things I bring with me when backpacking anyway.

I think I've only seen 50 oz bladders included in hydration packs for children (my two boys each use a camelbak Skeeter, but the 10 year is about to grow out of his.) Several of the women's packs are designed for the smaller framed woman, ask for help at your local sporting goods store in fitting for a pack. I personally use a Camelbak Daystar, it has a 2L bladder and about 800 cubic centimeters cargo room. It's very compact and the perfect size for carrying the first aid kit, digital camera, pda, swag, snacks, and even a light hoodie. If I'm puttering around town I take out the bladder and just carry a water bottle or two. It's a great size because no one looks at me wierd if I'm carrying it in a small local park or on the streets.

My priorities put water above all else and a cell phone next.

I carry a ham radio handi-talkie, you might consider the same... a $15 Technician license and simple test, a $50 used multi-band radio about the size of a pack of cigarettes opens a whole world of rescue radio - If the Search and Rescue folks have to come looking, that's what they'll be using.

After that I think it depends on distance and terrain.

An amazing number of new hikers carry a snake-bite kit, yet almost none ever get bitten, and very few have a clue how to use it if they did. Pretty safe to skip it.

First-aid kit - will you be so remote that you can't get a minor scrape or cut treated in a timely fashion? Most minor wounds don't require immediate treatment, cleaning it up when you get home will do just fine.

For serious injury the majority of first-aid kits are useless - again, it's unnnecessary weight for a day hiker. If you are going to be in the field for days it may be of a bit more value.

If you will be alone in remote areas and your chance of getting seriously hurt or lost are high, use a hiking stick and pack a roll of bandage gauze to splint broken limbs or tie off serious bleeding.

A compass, for sure - your basic magnetic compass. $25 or so for a good one (waterproof) that will last a lifetime and works under any conditions.

GPS and batteries. Carry batteries appropriate for your expected length of time in the field, one set per day. If you get lost turn your GPS off and only use it to get data when you need it, no need to leave it on all the time.

A small LED flashlight; even if it's noon and you expect to be in the field for two hours, if you get hurt or lost you'll need it.

A 50' coil of strong but light-weight small-diameter rope... just a few ounces but often useful.

A guality multi-tool ('Hobo tools' have cutting blades, forks, spoons, saws, awls and don't weigh much)

A waterproof container for water-proof matches, same logic as above. Extra weight unless you need them, then invaluable!

A waterproof pouch containing the appropriate quantity of any medicines you must take. Again, you may be going only half-mile in from a main road, but if you get lost or break a leg it will take a while to be found or crawl out.

Basically healthy folks can go for days without eating with no ill result, so carry snack bars only if you value them over their bulk and weight.

All of this (except the water) weighs less than a pound and can fit in a belt pack.

If you are really going to the boonies you'll need more, but for basic day-hiking and triage where you want to spend the night only in emergencies this is all you need.

All of this, of course, makes sense only if you are going to be alone. If someone will be with you split the stuff amongst you to carry...hubby carries the water and you have all the rest in a fanny pack.

Ed

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Yes the suggestions for a small day pack are right on and you must get what will fit the area you intend to Geocache in .Will it be mostly woods and hiking or Urban ...if Urban you do not need alot but if hiking and in the woods alot take a few extra things the pack when loaded should not weigh over 5 or 6 lbs...and even at 95 lbs that is not going to hurt you ..good luck...

PS all my firends use Rhino 120 or 130 and they have a built in radio which you can send your location to any other rhino user a handy thing when in the mountains...

Edited by Idaho_Clovisman

For starting out, I'd hold off on buying a bunch of stuff. You don't know what kind of caching you're going to really like, so there's no need to prepare for something you're not going to be doing.

For urban caching, my suggestion would be for a medium camera bag. Pens, notebook, PDA, small swag, a few cache repair items, etc.--the essentials for caching--would easily fit in a camera bag and not look out of place--you're just a tourist.

Sissy has what looks kind of like a beach bag that she carries when we are urban caching and need to carry a bit more. It simply does not look out place. On the other hand, if I were to carry my military-grade H.A.W.G. CamelBak then that may draw attention.

For going into the woods, a sling pak or a small backpack would suffice. As mentioned earlier, I have a H.A.W.G. CamelBak in OD green so it looks like something I picked up at the Army-Navy store and not some Soldier-of-Fortune wanna-be. I believe there is a lot more of a selection that is more civilian looking nowadays. Sissy has one. Any small, quality back pack will do. We don't always use the bladder, it just depends on how far we are planning to go. I personally like the bladder route as the weight it closer to my body. It also helps when filling it with ice water on those hot days--it feels good against your back.

We tend to use the above in a modular fashion. We simply toss the camera bag with the pens, stamp, PDA, etc., either in the beach bag or at pack if and when we need to. No need to unload stuff from one thing to another.

Hello,

I am a small women too. About 115 lbs. I usually don't take a backpack unless I plan on a very long hike. I hate the hydration system - I never feel like its clean water. I always carry water bottles. Usually I carry a waist pack for most caches. I have an army issue Alice pack for the long hikes. They come in womens sizes and you can add or take away pouches as needed. Some days I carry lots of gear some not. Unless your planning on all day hikes - a basic department store childs pack should be fine. If you plan to hike on a regular basis I would say yes go to the professoinal sports shop and be fitted. Your going to pay a great deal more. Make sure you try it on before you buy. I find I walk better with my pack on. My husband will offer to carry but I like the way it feels. My cell phone rarely picks up in hiking trails. Things I may carry:

Snacks

water

Compass

Bug spray in season

Individually wrapped moist wipes

Camera

Flashlight - if cache requires

Duct- tape (some caches require bushwacking - wrap it around my pants up to my knees- make cheap gaitors.)

Rain poncho - as needed

Trade items and pen

That's about it.

You didn't really say just where you might be doing most of your caching, and as others have implied, what you need to bring depends on just where you might be going. For instance, this weekend we were visiting my mother in the Chicago area and went to a couple of the Forest Preserves there to look for some caches. From the parking lot the GPSr said just 0.25 mile to the cache (for the farthest one), so one doesn't really need much for that. I always carry extra set of batteries and a pen. I had some packs of the wipe-on insect repellent but didn't need them. Most of the way to this one was bushwhacking, but I just had shorts on. I found a stick on the ground to use to sweep spider webs out of the way. A walking stick might be nice that that but I haven't got around to getting one yet.

Back home there is a state park nearby. My son and I went there one Saturday to see how many of the dozen or so of caches we could find. We found six and maybe walked a total of 6 or 7 miles. The only difference there was that we carried water. I usually wear cargo pants that have extra pockets and just put a bottle of water in each extra pocket.

My point is, depending just what and where you go, one may not need to carry much of anything. BTW, it might not be a bad idea to carry pepper spray as another person suggested.

How you interpret all the answers here may well be related to your acceptable level of risk.

I try to balance reasonable risk with prudence, still, I am insured to the hilt.

Your attitudes toward health insurance, homeowner's insurance, AAA+ roadside assistance, comprehensive auto insurance, gap insurance on car loans and the like may reflect how well you tolerate risk. I can take risks comfortably because I know that in the worst case I am (or my heirs are) well insured for any ensuing loss.

Others aren't well-insured and are perfectly happy taking risks when even a minor accident would ruin them financially.

If you think being alone a half-mile from help in a State Park with a broken leg is an acceptable risk, then by all means carry just your GPS.

If you realize bad things can happen at any moment and it's best to be prepared for any foreseeable eventuality, then build a reasonable kit and keep it with you anytime you are alone.

For me, I can live a fairly risky yet worry-free life only when I know that I can handle whatever comes along.

Ed

Edit to add: Add a whistle to your list, and learn to use the backtrack or breadcrumb feature on your GPS.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

It all depends on what kinds of caches you are doing but most caches require little more than the GPSr itself.

For those all day hikes you'll need more of course. Water, food, proper clothing, hiking stick, first aid kit, insect repellent, phone and/or 2way radio if you think it will have service, and of course your GPSr and cache information. A good compass and flashlight can come in handy too.

I myself like to travel as light as possible and very rarely carry anywhere near that much stuff. Water (1 liter bottle in a cheapy over the shoulder strap carier), hiking stick, cellphone, and GPSr for hikes of 10 miles or less.

I think that people tend to go overboard sometimes when they're planning an outing. I have made several trips into the wilderness for two hours or more with nothing except my keys and the gps.

I don't advocate over-preparadness, but under is worse.

How many of you who venture out into the wilderness with car keys and GPS believe that SAR team costs should be paid in full by folks who weren't prepared and had to be rescued?

I know, that borders on off-topic, but I am really curious.

I think you should have whatever it takes, in knowledge and equipment, to get yourself out of any reasonablly foreseeable circumstance you get yourself into.

I think that people tend to go overboard sometimes when they're planning an outing. I have made several trips into the wilderness for two hours or more with nothing except my keys and the gps.

I don't advocate over-preparadness, but under is worse.

How many of you who venture out into the wilderness with car keys and GPS believe that SAR team costs should be paid in full by folks who weren't prepared and had to be rescued?

I know, that borders on off-topic, but I am really curious.

I think you should have whatever it takes, in knowledge and equipment, to get yourself out of any reasonablly foreseeable circumstance you get yourself into.

I guess I should have mentioned that I grew up in the wilderness and have the necessary knowledge and wherewithal to get through a "foreseeable circumstance" with minimal packed in gear. Which is why I have made many treks lightly equipped.

Not exactly a practice that should be recommended. Something as simple as a sudden rain shower followed by a drop in temperature can be fatal. Even a fall and a few broken bones might cause you to have to spend the night.

But of course it depends on what kinds of caches the OP is doing. Being that she is considering a hydration pack and fanny pack, I assume some longish hikes will be involved. A small daypack with a hydration system should do the trick.

Something like a REI Cloudburst

651067.jpg

REI Splash

645340.jpg

Osprey Epic

65562.jpg

Mountainsmith Lily

48366_gre.jpg

Marmot Lassen

I2561.jpg

or

Gregory Iris

Iris_l.jpg

As someone who doesn't do full day hiking in remote areas yet, I opted to buy a $12 backpack from Target. It serves the purpose of allowing me to pack snacks, bottles of water, bug spray and sun screen, travel bugs and coins, trading items, and a first aid kit. I also always have my cell with me, which is also my PDA for cache info.

This serves me pretty well for hiking in a lot of the semi-urban old-growth parks in the Seattle area.

If I did more hiking in remote areas I would look into a better pack and supplies. Perhaps some shopping at a store like REI or such.

If you are going someplace that requires an emergency kit the single, most important thing is to let somebody know where you are going and when you should be back. Second rule of survival "USE YOUR BRAIN!" Don't panic, stop and think about where you are and what you need to do. The next most important thing is to know how to use your equipment. I've known people who would have a compass on them so they wouldn't get lost. Ask them what direction is the car or civilization and they have no idea other than 'That Way'. Another thing, always Waypoint your car when headed cross country and be sure your routing/breadcrumbs is turned on and you know how to use it.

This is my Visa Card list (i.e. don't leave home without it);

a SHARP, good quality knife big enough to do the job and a small diamond hone. A dull knife is almost worthless.

10 foot of duct tape, roll it up and flatten it out to fit in a pocket. You can buy it that way now too.

50 foot of 1/8" nylon rope

10 foot of bailing wire

whistle

lighter for fires

compass (know how to use it and what direction you need to go)

Extra batteries for the GPS - I use rechargeables. I start off with a set of freshly charged batteries in the unit and carry at least one set of disposable batteries in my bag. Usually carry another set of rechargeables too.

water

Medicine - If there is any medicine that you require, especially if it is for potentially life threatening condition, such as an inhaler for asthma, even if it is a mild case.

Snake bite kits - Most will cause more harm then good. Cutting an x stands a good chance of infection and the rubber suction cups don't offer anywhere close to enough suction. Plus snake bite is very seldom deadly. I am still on the fence on 'The Extractor.' I haven't seen a whole lot on it yet from the emergency medical community on its effectiveness yet.

With these I could survive most situations. I carry them in a fanny pack with the water in 2 - 1 liter bottles. For me is just seems easier carrying it on my hips then my back. I carry other things such as a disposable raincoat, insect repellant and sunscreen based on location and time of year. I have a small, multi-tool (pliers and 4 screwdrivers) that I carry but if I had to make a choice I'll take my 3 1/2" lockblade Old Timer any day. We have been together for 20 years and it has never failed me. Most of the things on the multi-tool really wouldn't be of much value in the boonies.

You will always find a sharp pocket knife and small multi-tool in my pocket.

I want to thank everyone who took the time and effort to respond to my questions. I am really grateful for all the thoughtful replies, and the tips on addtl things to bring along that I hadn't thought of (flashlight, knife, tape, etc.) I shouldn't be surprised by the varied responses (ie. those who don't pack alot, vs. those who do), but I guess it comes down to personal preference, like anything else.

My husband and I will be starting out with shorter trips, only a couple hours tops, but I expect that once we get our sea legs, we'll be taking extended day hikes - (I just finished grad school and am desperate to get out and re-claim my weekends and social life!). I realize now that you pack differently depending on the length of the trip and terrain type, so thanks everyone for helping clarify this for me.

No-one mentioned if they used this type of thing, but in the back of the Idiot's Guide, they included a sample page you can copy over and over called "Critical Information to Leave Behind". You are supposed to leave it in your car, so that way the authorities have background info on where your trip was taking you, in case you get lost......What is the feeling about this kind of tool - are people using something like this or do you think its alot of paranoia? I think that when I'm out alone I'll probably err on the side of caution, and I will also learn how to use the compass too.

Cheers,

lisa

Let someone know where you are going and approximately when you will be back is advised above and good advice.

The car note you mention is an excellent idea as well, but you have to be missing and folks looking for you before anyone is going to look for your car and then, maybe, find the note.

Proactive measures are always better than passive.

Quite Franky I have yet to be more then 30 minuets away from car in all my searches.... I carry a simple day pack... A couple bottles of water in it, small first aid kit (pocket size) zip loc bag of cache swag a note pad and a few a pencil or pen or two and maybe a sweater maybe a few granola bars and a roll of lifesavers..... Most times its a casual stroll just outside suburbia and the biggest threat may be mosquitos....

IF pack is more the 10% of your body weight its to heavy...

Dale

Let someone know where you are going and approximately when you will be back is advised above and good advice.

The car note you mention is an excellent idea as well, but you have to be missing and folks looking for you before anyone is going to look for your car and then, maybe, find the note.

Proactive measures are always better than passive.

Yes, please mention your estimated time of return so that your car can be rifled through properly. As long as we're mulling over forseeable circumstances.

I recently had shoulder surgery for a rotator cuff tear... (I was caching 5 days after, the sling made a great GPSr holder :anicute: ) When I got well enough to go for longer hikes, I found that my daypack really hurt my shoulder. I found an old vest (the kind photographers and hunters use) with tons of pockets and zippers. I found that I was able to fit most of the stuff from my daypack in the vest. When I put it on my shoulder did not hurt as the weight was spread around a lot better.