Discontinued Garmin GPSMAP 60C colour

Does anyone have any experience of this discontinued model which is still available and would they recommend it?

Should I save up and spend the extra £££££'s and invest in the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx.

I want the OS type mapping, to be able to mount it on the motorbike and of course for geocaching.

Any advice welcome.

Pat :(

I have the 60CS, which is the same model with added electronic compass and altimeter. I love it. If you can get one cheap you won't be disappointed.

That being said when I have the cash I plan on upgrading to the X model. The added memory will allow me to put all of the maps for my service area into the GPS

Most cache are set with older GPSr's and as such, the inaccuracies of the reading work through with similar age GPSr's, therefore If the 60C is at a real bargain price get it; the extra money spet on an x series Garmin, is just wasted on the majority of caches.

Does anyone have any experience of this discontinued model which is still available and would they recommend it?

Should I save up and spend the extra £££££'s and invest in the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx.

I want the OS type mapping, to be able to mount it on the motorbike and of course for geocaching.

Any advice welcome.

Pat :(

If by OS type mapping you mean Topo maps(which autoroute on the highways) then the 56mb of memory in a gpsmap 60c will be a bit restricting as the uk takes up over 1.5 gb..If you want to use autorouting with say CN v8 the maptiles are quite large which means you can't get much in the gps if you are travelling away from home as in holidays .I also think the Sat lock on the 60c is cr@p for its original selling price but ok for the discounted price!!

Dave

[quote

Thanks for your responses - I splashed out and bought the 60csx and Topo maps.

I am made up with the excellent clear, easy to see screen and brilliant satellite fix.

The Topo mapping is good but not nearly as good as Memory Map on the PDA.

The 60csx appears to be very robust and will sit well on the bike handlebars. :ph34r:

i got the new 60csx a few months ago and found that the compass does not stat calibrated for long so i turned the compass off and it functions much better, my previous gps was the 60c the upgrade was worth it just for the better reception but i believe i should have got the 60cx model and saved myself some cash, so my recomendation would be for the 60cx.

i got the new 60csx a few months ago and found that the compass does not stat calibrated for long so i turned the compass off and it functions much better, my previous gps was the 60c the upgrade was worth it just for the better reception but i believe i should have got the 60cx model and saved myself some cash, so my recomendation would be for the 60cx.

I think you will find that the compass needs calibrating every time you change your batteries.

I re-cal my compass every time I take my Vista Cx out.

If I do not, the direction arrow is accurate but on the map screen, I find I am travelling across the screen with my breadcrumb trail diagonal instead of travelling up all the time.

Once I recalibrate, the map screen falls into line with the bearing pointer, both show "UP" for straight ahead.