New GeoCoin

princeshoko

Hello,

I'm new to the GeoCoin age of the game we play, but I am hooked being a collector. I am in the works with having a design finnished before the minting.

My question to this forum is thus.

1: Do I post pictures of the coin and do a PRE-Sale? Or wait till I have the coin in hand? Not sure of what is expected on forum.

2: Of the people on this list that offeres there coins on this forum, how many pre-orders do you receive? So I know how many mint I should order. 500? 1,000? 2,000?

3: Should a pre-order be "i'll invoice upon arival" or "Visa/MC/MoneyOrder to reserve"

I do have a merchant account I can accpet pre-orders with on my business site.

My coin will be unique and proboly not accepted by everyone due to missunderstandings about part of what it means, but is very family friendly (picture will be posted when ready) . It will be trackable on the geocache website.

Thank You for your time.

PrinceShoko

Hi,

I did a Pre-Sale with my Nacaya-coin. The reason is simple: I didn't have enough money to pay the coins first and sell them later. Do it the way you like or the way you can afford :(

But there's one thing I'd do different next coin: I wouldn't invoice so early. Because my coin got a lot (almost all possibles) delays and I received them about a month later than planned. And people started to get nervous (what I can completely understand)..

Question 2: I wouldn't order more than 500. But that also depends on the design of your coin. So an artwork would be very helpfull. Take the Elchrich Elch-coin for example. 500 sold quite well. Or Dresseldragon.. Or.... And since you get your own icon when ordering at least 250 tracking numbers, you can also order less than 500 coins and still get your icon.

-> I'd make a pre-sale. Give it some weeks (till the sample's in) and then decide how many coins you'll mint.

Hi there

My two penniworth!!!!

I would consider carefully

Why are you making the coin, is it to trade, to track, to just have a coin and icon. Dependant on this then your way forward differs

1) if it is for trading dont sell too many or else who you gonna trade with

2) If it is trackable then it is important to have GC tracking (and the $900 to pay for 500 tracking numbers and icon)

3) just to get your name out there - hey do as you feel :(

Numbers

1) I would not make more than 500 unless it is a state or country coin

2) If as you state some will not "understand it" then I would think long and hard about the numbers

3) I would make it in 2 or 3 metals (cause there are "fools" out there that like one of each!! :P )

4) I would consider having 1 metal for sale and 1 for trade

Presale

Difficult problem here

1) have you got $2500 sitting around to buy the 500 trackable coins first?

2) If not you may have to go to bed with one of those that will fund and sell for you that is no criticism I did

3) Be aware there is concern in the community with presales since a lot of us got burned and waited too long.

If you use paypal for instance you only have 4 weeks to get the coins in peoples hands. (It took me nearly 3 months to get my coin from design to delivery)

4) People change their mind or their financial positions change between first mention and actual charging

5) Do not forget to include paypal fees

So my advice is think about it and be sure in your own mind what the coin is for

Just to illustrate this is where I would have changed my coin

I had 500 coins made

1) Would have now made them in 3 different metals

2) Would probably have not made them GC trackable so I did not need as many, but now with the new rules, you can make 250 and get the track and icon it is viable.

3) I really enjoy the trading element so I might just make trade only coins - you can make 200 non trackables for about what my 200 cost me after selling 300!!!

Well I hope that helps

Bob

PS if when you have your coins and you want to trade let me know

Why a pre-sale? Why not a pre-trade?

The basic idea behind geocoins (which most people here unfortunately apparent forgot)

is to place the coin in caches, find the coin or trade the coin....and NOT to sell the personal geocoin! :(

Just a suggestion on Pre-Trades. We had our coin minted specifically for trading and caching. I started taking trades way too early. You live and learn. I was stressed out constantly about how long the coin was taking. Each time something went wrong I emailed my list of traders so they would know what's up. I haven't received any complaints but it was heck on me. If you can afford to buy the coins wait till you have them then start on trades first. I'd suggest doing them in waves, going to the post office with 30 or more packaged can be a pain. Plus you don't want to go through all your coins in 1-2 months then have nothing left to trade 6 months later when that super cool coin you just gotta have comes out!

Also as has been speculated, a coin that is only available through trades has a higher value. At least that is what I have read. I dunno, I'm still watching to see if anyone puts one of our coins on ebay. I doubt I'll see it, only one person has more than one in the same metal.

Good Luck whatever you do! If it's trackable show us the design, that also may peak interest and help you to decide.

I announce a pre-order once the design is set with the minters, which gives about 3 weeks for orders to come in.

In my experience you run into problems if you start a long time ahead = peopel forget the coin, people want to see the design, etc.

As for trading, I make sure I have the coins in hand since your email box fills up quite quickly and so I can mail as I get trade requests. People are generally honest so I simu-send.

Mint runs. I generally make anywhere from 100-500 coins. With 500 I usually have more than one kind of metal to vary what I am offering. In my experience I sell or trade about 100-150 coins before they are made then another 100 after they are made and seen in people's collections.

The whole process might take 6-9 months, so it's in for a longer period of time. I still get requests for the New Jersey coin I minted over 18 months ago.

hope this helps.

I announce a pre-order once the design is set with the minters, which gives about 3 weeks for orders to come in.

That's what I did, I took pre-orders when the order was sent to the mint. People could pre-pay, or not, but pre-paid ones were shipped first, and in my case, pre-paid orders got a bonus matching pin that came with the coin order.

...3) I would make it in 2 or 3 metals (cause there are "fools" out there that like one of each!! :) )

I hear that. The one thing I would have done different would have been to make about 50 in a different metal and only sold those. That would have left more to hide as the project price would have been reduced enough with that.

And yes... I have some sets of people's coins. I guess that makes me a fool. :P:unsure:

...3) I would make it in 2 or 3 metals (cause there are "fools" out there that like one of each!! :huh: )

I hear that. The one thing I would have done different would have been to make about 50 in a different metal and only sold those. That would have left more to hide as the project price would have been reduced enough with that.

And yes... I have some sets of people's coins. I guess that makes me a fool. :ph34r::ph34r:

To paraphrase a patriot, "If this be foolishness, let's make the most of it!" There have been a few coins where we've gotten one or more of each metal; sometimes, they all look good. If the buyer is happy with what s/he got, then no one else should give a rat's tail about it :huh: