Strange Places to Hide A Cache

b1rdbrain

so i am watching the Discovery Channel today. Thay are playing a show thats all about the North Hollywood Shootout. This was a big bank Robbery that went all bad. 2 gunmen came out to find the LAPD waiting for them so they shot the whole area up with Fully automatic guns. AK47 and stuff. it was 44 min. of pure hell. many cops had been shot up and the gun men died, one took his own life and the other bled to death. i want to know would it be OK to do a Multi-cache at that bank to mark the shootout. the first of 3 caches would be in the parking lot of the bank number 2 would be where gun men #1 took his life and number 3 would be where gunmen #2 had died. this was the biggest shootout the LAPD had ever been in and it looked like a scene from a movie. it was so big, it made the LAPD start carring M16's and Changed the way law enforcement handles bank robberies for ever. by the way no cops died that day the only people that died was the 2 bank robbers. this shootout is now in our histery books it was so big, and every time i need to cash a check from Bank Of America i always go to that bank.

B1rdbrain :)

so i am watching the Discovery Channel today. Thay are playing a show thats all about the North Hollywood Shootout. This was a big bank Robbery that went all bad. 2 gunmen came out to find the LAPD waiting for them so they shot the whole area up with Fully automatic guns. AK47 and stuff. it was 44 min. of pure hell. many cops had been shot up and the gun men died, one took his own life and the other bled to death. i want to know would it be OK to do a Multi-cache at that bank to mark the shootout. the first of 3 caches would be in the parking lot of the bank number 2 would be where gun men #1 took his life and number 3 would be where gunmen #2 had died. this was the biggest shootout the LAPD had ever been in and it looked like a scene from a movie. it was so big, it made the LAPD start carring M16's and Changed the way law enforcement handles bank robberies for ever. by the way no cops died that day the only people that died was the 2 bank robbers. this shootout is now in our histery books it was so big, and every time i need to cash a check from Bank Of America i always go to that bank.

B1rdbrain :)

Could you get permission to place the various stages? If so, then the cache should be allowed as long as it meets the guidelines. Waymarks might be a better option, though.

i have never done a waymark. i really don't know anything about the waymark stuff. i was going to wait till after i get #100 finds to start doing waymarks. maybe i should get a local cacher to help me if this idea is cool.

"Cool" is in the eye of the beholder. Caches in parking lots (old crime scenes or not) aren't my cup of tea. Others may feel differently. If there's a waymark category for crime scenes I think your location would be a perfect fit for that. For a cache? I dunno.

edit: to fix screwed up quotes

Edited by DocDiTTo

I recall not only the incident but also saw the Discovery Channel show on it.

I had a couple of thoughts on this idea. While I interested in where this bank is, I might hunt that cache.

The one thing that kind of hit me is a cache in the locations that the gun men died, let me put it this way I am interested in the story and where this bank is I am not so sure I really need to know the exact spot where someone died

It would be enough for me to say one died over there, and the other down the street. To actually stand on the spot, sorry not interested.

On the flip side, I am over 2000 miles away, I don’t know if I will ever make it to California again. (Would like to however)

Jim

Kc8bdr

If it were a multi, it could go either way as a historical or puzzle. In what year did the LAPD have their biggest shootout in modern history? Take the last two digits...and so on. If the cache (physical) were at a slightly different location, and it had a heist or LAPD theme to get there, that could be really cool. I like history caches.

I would hunt it - it certainly makes more sense than a WalMart light-pole placed just because the light-pole was there!

Everyone is different, but me I would reverse the logic, use the event and place to honor the policemen, show how and where they made their stand to duty and justice... I could care less where the bad guys bought it. Wouldn't their death location qualify as a garbage dump?

Ed

I would hunt it - it certainly makes more sense than a WalMart light-pole placed just because the light-pole was there!

Everyone is different, but me I would reverse the logic, use the event and place to honor the policemen, show how and where they made their stand to duty and justice... I could care less where the bad guys bought it. Wouldn't their death location qualify as a garbage dump?

Ed

i'll need to work on this one for some time.

Just my $.02 here but instead of where the gunmen died, I would make it a tribute to LAPD. I've got a background in admin of justice and analized the tape several times in class, so I may be biased toward the law enforcment side. I do think you may get better feed back making it a tribute towards the police rather than the criminals. Yet again just my own two cents.

I Also think that it would be weird to honour the deaths of criminals, i think that the caches should be where the officer got hurt (im sure at least one officer got shot {not fatel}) but im all for the cache even if i might not get the chance to find it. or just put it out the front of the bank

I Also think that it would be weird to honour the deaths of criminals, i think that the caches should be where the officer got hurt (im sure at least one officer got shot {not fatel}) but im all for the cache even if i might not get the chance to find it. or just put it out the front of the bank

People place caches to honor various dead people all the time--including criminals and murder victims. Heck, there's a whole series of Jack the Ripper murder scene-based caches in London, and if I'm ever out there you bet I'll look for them. I think it's possible to point out where a criminal died as part of a larger learning experience without "honoring" said criminal.

As far as hiding the cache in front of the bank...I can attest (having worked for Bank of America and having been dispatched to the branch in question many times) that the No. Hollywood branch is easily among the most heavily security-patrolled, camera-surveilled (is that a word?) banks in L.A., and would strongly recommend NOT doing that.

i have never done a waymark. i really don't know anything about the waymark stuff. i was going to wait till after i get #100 finds to start doing waymarks. maybe i should get a local cacher to help me if this idea is cool.

Don't confuse a waymark for a cache. The two are different. It would be easier to do this cache as a waymark but less ideal since only people who waymark would see it. Plus you would not really be able to walk people around the scene.

However if you invest the time to make it a multi cache in a way that walks people around the variouse events of the crime scene this is one multi that I'd very much consider doing. It would be a true challeng to pull this one off but one that would make for a memorable cache.

I find the concept to be morbid and rather grotesque. Even worse than stomping on someone's grave site to get the year tha they died to finish a multi.

I guess I don't understand why you would want to put out such a cache. Oh, well.

as i read you're post i see you don't even get the idea of this cache that i'm thinking of doing.

O.K. i have read everyones input and first off i just want to say that the research for this cache is inprogress. i would like to make it a multi if i can. there where like 4-6 cops that had been shot that day and i would like to find the spots where that happened. the only people that died that day as a resolt of the shootout where the 2 gunmen. one took his own life on the sidewalk and the other had his feet shot up due to the body armer that was the only place that was not protected. and i was thinking of the corner of that street where he went down as somebody had pointed out he was in the middle of the street. my main consern about this cache idea is, the time it will take to make it, the placing of a cache in the parking lot of a bank where an event like this took place looking like a bomb being placed, and what Groundspeak thinks of the subject all around. (one time i placed a cache under a mail box and the website didn't like that)

I think that if i do this cache that i will have to post all of the history about that day and if i do a multi cache i should place one at every spot that some one got shot no matter who they where. and i should also place one at the building that had the Gun store that gave the armor piercing rounds to the LAPD too. even know the store is now gone but the building is still there. i do not know if i will do this cache i am still thinking about it.

if anyone knows any LAPD officers that where around for that day can you please have them contact me i want to really know everything before i get into it. also if the main people from Groundspeak don't like this idea please let me know. i would rather be told now then after i do all the foot work in placing this cache.