Milestone finds

b1rdbrain

Hey DocDiTTo, I didn't know you had to be at a milestone to do that? :) I do that after every find. Am I over-celebrating? :grin:

Depends. Is it a large, public fountain?

Well, I don't have a fountain but I have been banned from every Home and Garden Center for 100 miles. Maybe I should look under the Waymarking site for fountains.

I am not at 120 finds, at find 100 was just another cache for me, at least nothing more special than 99 or 101.

With that said, there are people that will pick a cache that is different in some way (Project ape cache). Or maybe a cache at the end of a 5+ mile hike.

I thought about doing a cache that would be unique for me but I just never got around to figuring what I wanted to do, then realize that I had just logged my 100th find. I went back and edited my log for that one.

Jim

Kc8bdr

I like the Sign idea but should i make it a big cache like in a park of even an event cache? i really want to make it a big deal for #100

When I get to 100, it will be any other cache that I would go find. Large or small, hard or easy, won't matter. Not to pee in anybody's Wheaties, but every time I get worked up and excited about going to find a cool cache, there is a little bit of a let down when I find it because my expectations of what will be there and the reality of what I find are 2 different things. Cache on and let karma take care of the rest.

Leave something special in the cache (I leave $20 bills).

I invite you to come find one of my caches for your next milestone. Please? :grin:

For my 1800th find, see my log at Fredericktown Train Bridge, where I hinted at a "special prize." Then see the owner's note, where he made the hike just to see what I left in the cache. He didn't take the $20. Then see how my bonus gift made a newbie's day after he had a bit of trouble finding the cache.

That is what geocaching is all about. :)

Leave something special in the cache (I leave $20 bills).

I invite you to come find one of my caches for your next milestone. Please? :grin:

For my 1800th find, see my log at Fredericktown Train Bridge, where I hinted at a "special prize." Then see the owner's note, where he made the hike just to see what I left in the cache. He didn't take the $20. Then see how my bonus gift made a newbie's day after he had a bit of trouble finding the cache.

I'm Poor so $20 is out of the question.

When I get to 100, it will be any other cache that I would go find. Large or small, hard or easy, won't matter. Not to pee in anybody's Wheaties, but every time I get worked up and excited about going to find a cool cache, there is a little bit of a let down when I find it because my expectations of what will be there and the reality of what I find are 2 different things. Cache on and let karma take care of the rest.

Actually, I've found this to be true. Rarely does a milestone cache coincide with an awesomely cool cache. I've tried to plan it that way, and occasionally it works out, but I've given up on trying to make it happen. My 600th and 700th finds were both urban micros that took me to a fast food restaurant dumpster and a highway rest stop grassy area full of dog poo, respectively. Fortunately, between those 2 caches there were at least 5 or 6 awesome ones that would have been great for a milestone. I'm just a poor planner I guess....

Sometimes I plan for them, like #100, 500 and 1000. Sometimes they just happen on a particular weekend, and even then, I can skip some caches or cram in some extras in order for the odometer to roll over at the really cool cache. At least twice, I've hit a milestone at an event. And sometimes, like for #1500, they're at a parking lot micro, but I found lots of cool caches the same weekend. I am not that big a slave to the numbers, so it's all good. I really only think about my find count when I notice I'm close to a "00" find, then I can forget about it until the next one. :)

[

Cool logs, and that was a very nice thing to do.

So i am coming up on find 100, it's a big milestone for me. what are some of the things people do for there milestone finds? :):grin::P:):D:D:D:D:D

I don't do anything. Not to turn this into a numbers haters vs number ho's thing, but numbers don't matter to me, so I do whatever cache I am going to do, and then go on to the next one and could care less about the numbers.

I didn't think about the numbers so much. it's just i see i'm coming up on #100. i plan on buying the 100 find coin but i really want the 100 find to mean more then just another cache. Geocaching has become a lifestyle to me and i want it to mean something to me when i get my first big milestone. i feel like a virgine about to pop my cherry and i want it to mean alot to me.

Edited by b1rdbrain

So i am coming up on find 100, it's a big milestone for me. what are some of the things people do for there milestone finds? :(:P:P:D:D:D:D:D:D

I don't do anything. Not to turn this into a numbers haters vs number ho's thing, but numbers don't matter to me, so I do whatever cache I am going to do, and then go on to the next one and could care less about the numbers.

I don't think trying to do an above-average cache as a milestone cache is a "numbers ho" thing. Whether you're all about numbers or not you still have "00" finds every hundred caches. Sometimes it's nice to make those the best that you can. If you're as poor a planner as me, you take what you get and don't worry too much about it. For my last 2 "00" caches I was caching with friends, so they fell where they fell. For #500, I did a very nice multi cache in San Diego which took me to a pretty neat place and required a trolley ride to get there.

We don't have that many milestones, but we like to make them extra memorable. For 100 we did GC23Geocache since it was the first cache placed in Hawaii. By that time we'd been caching long enough to have a little appreciation for "Geocache History." We met the cache owner at the event and he remembered how we'd saved his cache for our 100th. :(

I like the number sign idea, maybe we'll start doing that for #400.

For any milestone that is important to you, pick out something YOU enjoy and do it!

Our caching association recognizes any Alabama geocacher that achieves 1,000 finds with a gold ammo box at a meet-and-greet style event where all attendees can contribute to stocking it.

Milestones such as 100 are usually marked by calling a friend or three that you enjoy caching with and deciding on a fun cache to go find.

It's not uncommon for a cacher to post to our local forum asking for suggestions as to what would be a fun memorable cache to hunt for their milestone.

Ed

So i am coming up on find 100, it's a big milestone for me. what are some of the things people do for there milestone finds? B):(:P:P:D:D:D:D:D

If you were closer to Atlanta I'd suggest that you come find my Puzzle Of The Century cache for your 100th. It's dedicated to century finds. When I was ready to find my 100th I looked around in my area for a special cache for it, and since I didn't find one I decided to hide one that other's could use for their special finds.

After you find your 100th, maybe you could come up with a great cache that will be memorable, and dedicate it to century finds so others out there can have a good one to find too!

:D

For my 100th find, I wanted one that would be easy to remember. It will always be special, not only for being the 100th, but because I took my dog, Ellie, and the canoe, and made a day of it. As it turned out, it was extra special, because it was my first FTF, and one of the best designed caches that I've found! I'll never forget it.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...69-20223ebed4da

I'm slow, so milestones mean a lot to me. I like to celebrate them. I like to celebrate stuff like that generally.

100 was my first cache in England. I had planned to do all my milestones in England, and it looked like it was working out well, but twice my trip times had to be changed. I DNF'ed twice trying to do 200 at an especially nice cache, and gave up and made it merely a nice cache. I forgot my camera. I don't even remember 300.

So my milestones are paved with good intentions :(

Milestones are important to me. I'm not sure exactly why. Birthdays aren't important to me, but anniversaries are. I like even numbers, so I think that's a big reason. I try to celebrate 50's and 100's, with the strongest emphasis on 100's. I'll be coming up on 1000 here sometime soon, so I'll probably make an extra effort with that one.

I like to think ahead and find a cache that would be nice and memorable, either because of it's uniqueness, where it is, on a trip, and hopefully with friends and family. That last part is the most important to me.

I keep a personal bookmark list with all my milestones in it. I take pictures of myself at the cache, and preferably with a friend or family member. I put the most current picture in my sigline.

I love geocaching, it's a huge part of my life. So I guess these milestones are like little anniversaries in my life that remind me of where I've been and where I'm going.

Nothing is better than celebrating your joy with others who share the game with you . . . contact local cachers to meet at a local pub, swap war srories, discuss caching and adventures - THAT is fun!

If you are smart and have time to make it an event, you can get #101 as your special event cache!

Locally, we all get together for 1000-find benchmark events as each local joins the 1K club . . . it is absolutely super to meet all the folks who helped you by hiding the cahes that you found, we are, really, a family!

I don't pick a particular cache for #xxxx. If the next milestone turns out to be a micr, then there you are.

In fact, #1000 was a micro in Florida that hadn't bee found in some time.

#1400 is the only one that I intended to be a number cache. It was set by my niece while she was here, and I made a point of having it be a milestone.

Other than something like that, the cache that's next on the list is it.

I don't pick a particular cache for #xxxx. If the next milestone turns out to be a micr, then there you are.

#1400 is the only one that I intended to be a number cache. It was set by my niece while she was here, and I made a point of having it be a milestone.

:unsure: And I was able to be at your 1400th, as well as me doing my 850th with you at one of your caches the same day. :)

Geocaching is great. :P

:unsure: And I was able to be at your 1400th, as well as me doing my 850th with you at one of your caches the same day. :)

Geocaching is great. :P

That was a great day, all around, wasn't it? Lep got his 1700th that day, too.

:P And I was able to be at your 1400th, as well as me doing my 850th with you at one of your caches the same day. :huh:

Geocaching is great. :blink:

That was a great day, all around, wasn't it? Lep got his 1700th that day, too.

:ph34r: I should have mentioned that, especially since he posted our pic of that earlier in this thread. :blink: Oh my, he's not going let me live that down. Good thing he wubs me. :)

It was one of my bestest ever days. :unsure:

Edited by Ambrosia

I just got my 100th last weekend. I had about 6 to go so I planned a road trip where I hadn't cached before. 100 ended up being on the side of I-15 where I placed a TB. The cache itself wasn't spectacular but the journey was very rewarding.

I like this idea i should make #100 a road trip up the coast like in ventura or Santa Barbra.

I just got my 100th last weekend. I had about 6 to go so I planned a road trip where I hadn't cached before. 100 ended up being on the side of I-15 where I placed a TB. The cache itself wasn't spectacular but the journey was very rewarding.

Yup, this is what I'm talking about.

I just got my 200th today, and made it one by IMHO the best multi-cache hiders in my area. I did the same for my 150th. I didn't really plan for my 100th, but that was ok, too. I think of it as kind of a tribute to the hider to intentionally pick their cache for a milestone. I'm in no hurry to get my numbers (200 in 2 1/2 years), but I like milestones. Much more fun to do them with friends too - somebody's gotta take the picture :P

Edited by gorillagal

Make it whatever you want it to be. If you want it to be memorable, go for a challenging one. Or one that will take you to a particularly scenic spot.

From talking with you offline, I know long hikes probably aren't a feasible option right now, but there are some great caches in L.A. (check out Edendale in the Golden Age of Silent Film, for example) that still require hours of work for a great reward.

My 100th and 1000th caches were both events. #500 was a locally-renowned cache that was supposed to be a great experience. #2000 was supposed to be a grand hike, but we got rained out, so it wound up being some random other caches. Shortly after that, I decided that milestones didn't really add to the enjoyment I get from caching so I stopped keeping track.

I'm coming up on cache #3000 in the next couple of weeks, and it will probably just be one of the caches on my list. By the time I'm done logging my finds, I won't even remember which exact cache it was. All I will know is that I had a great weekend, saw some cool stuff, and took a lot of great pictures. That's all that matters to me.

I found my 100th cache on the day of my two month caching anniversary. I wanted it to not be a lamp post micro or something like that so I picked a full sized cache up on the North Rim of Bidwell Park. (El Jeffe's Cache in Upper Park) It was a nice hike up there and, when I found the cache, there was a great spot to sit and look out over the canyon. I sat in the sun and read every entry in the log book. It turns out that the cache had been found several times by geology students from the local university. Each time they entered a nice log and returned the cache to its hiding spot.

I hadn't planned on trading anything but I found an Indian Head Penny in the cache so I traded out for it. I still remember this cache and the day and I'm glad I picked one like this for my 100th cache. Most of my other milestones (except for #500) have just kind of happened as I was caching along but that one was my first "biggie" and I was still new enough that I wanted it to be special. I'm glad I did.

Edited by Thrak

I found my 100th cache on the day of my two month caching anniversary. I wanted it to not be a lamp post micro or something like that so I picked a full sized cache up on the North Rim of Bidwell Park. (El Jeffe's Cache in Upper Park) It was a nice hike up there and, when I found the cache, there was a great spot to sit and look out over the canyon. I sat in the sun and read every entry in the log book. It turns out that the cache had been found several times by geology students from the local university. Each time they entered a nice log and returned the cache to its hiding spot.

I hadn't planned on trading anything but I found an Indian Head Penny in the cache so I traded out for it. I still remember this cache and the day and I'm glad I picked one like this for my 100th cache. Most of my other milestones (except for #500) have just kind of happened as I was caching along but that one was my first "biggie" and I was still new enough that I wanted it to be special. I'm glad I did.

thats cool.