Pennsylvania's Finest Caches - a list of the best!

DocDiTTo

Here are a couple my favorites, in no specific order. I am not listing those that have already been mentioned...

The Lost Crag (GCQE0G), by Captain Crash, SWPA - a nice hike up, up, up in PA SGL to awesome rock formations...

Riddler's Revenge (GCX7BD), by pghlooking, SWPA - literally a puzzle cache with one awesome stage 1 ammo can!

I have loved every Quest Master cache I have completed. All are SWPA.

Those are the ones that come to mind tonight...

-Kevin

Riddler's Revenge (GCX7BD), by pghlooking, SWPA - literally a puzzle cache with one awesome stage 1 ammo can!

And for anyone who attempts this cache and mentions they saw the cache in this thread or on the bookmark list, 1 free answer to the puzzle of your choice. (Don't laugh. Some would have taken me up on this very quickly)abcf5e79-0778-4b34-8426-3539922dd968.jpg

Edited by pghlooking

Can anyone shed some light on why I can only see the first page of the bookmark list even though it shows 6 pages, and for me each page is just a copy of the first one? Is this b/c i'm not a premium member?

Well the List is still growing and is up to 7 pages now. But the problem with it has nothing to do with Premium Membership (I have one). It seems to work OK. But then you click on a Cache Link to check it out. Hit the Back button to return to the Finest Caches List and I pretty much see the behavior you described. Certainly something wrong there.

Can anyone shed some light on why I can only see the first page of the bookmark list even though it shows 6 pages, and for me each page is just a copy of the first one? Is this b/c i'm not a premium member?

Well the List is still growing and is up to 7 pages now. But the problem with it has nothing to do with Premium Membership (I have one). It seems to work OK. But then you click on a Cache Link to check it out. Hit the Back button to return to the Finest Caches List and I pretty much see the behavior you described. Certainly something wrong there.

This is an outstanding issue with bookmark lists that's been discussed in the Web Site forum. I'm not sure what the current status of the issue is, but I too have had this happen a lot. I think there's a workaround, something about not staying on one bookmark page too long, or changing the number of caches listed per page... I haven't been keeping up to date in the Web Site forum though so I could be wrong. You might want to do a search there to see if there's any progress on the problem, or start a new thread to bring it back into the spotlight...

I nominate Bear Rocks Caves by Zenrider for addition to the list. This was the high point of my holiday weekend trip to the Allegheny National Forest. You climb a steep hill, grabbing caches placed by others along the way, and then at the top there are cool rock formations and caves. You can't help but take extra time exploring the area. We poked around for at least a half hour before seriously looking for the cache.

Bear Rocks Caves immediately made it onto my all-time favorites list, as well as the favorites list of the miatabug team, who were with me for this find. Highly recommended!

I nominate Bear Rocks Caves by Zenrider for addition to the list. This was the high point of my holiday weekend trip to the Allegheny National Forest. You climb a steep hill, grabbing caches placed by others along the way, and then at the top there are cool rock formations and caves. You can't help but take extra time exploring the area. We poked around for at least a half hour before seriously looking for the cache.

Bear Rocks Caves immediately made it onto my all-time favorites list, as well as the favorites list of the miatabug team, who were with me for this find. Highly recommended!

Wish I'd have known about that one while I was in the area this past fall. Looks like a great one, and one that's now on my to-do list. Added to the PA Favorites bookmark list as well. Thanks!!

We have been all over the state working on the two challenges. Here are our favorite caches thus far:

Len Miller Bridge GCP9P6 by oc1rick

Look out for Pavia's Queen GC8CF7 by thelostones

Old Burlington Church GC13Z29 by endless mountain geo team -- this was a creative hide

Island Paradise GC1477M by PARacers

Spot GCYPRA by bpratt -- we loved how cute and creative this micro was

Scripture Rocks 1 GCN9ZD by Ian5281 -- the history behind this place and the site are both unbelievable

Furtive Wolf GCHVAD by rscarr2

Old Stone House GC405 by North Country Trail Association

Resica Falls GCKVXY by unimoggers

A Fisherman's Walk GCJP10 by Hillbilly Harry

Over the Dam and Through the Woods GCBFC by Cash-Seeker and Wife

The Saint that Smelted Iron GCZMV8 by Team Hilljack (SVC and Breakfast Chief)

Chimney Rocks Park GC1C9C by The BCove Crew

Hughes Bore Hole GC11RHY by Cacheoholic -- this is truly a must-see place, very ... different

Blacksnake Cache GCWTZK by thebooker

Glen White Furnace Ruins Cache GC11XQM by John-B

Fountain of Youth GCXHMQ by Fugarewe Tribe -- a nano placed on a very nice fountain in the center of Newville

Never Forget GCW1T1 by TeamFirefighterWRX -- a beautiful memorial for 9/11

Turnpike Challenge GCPDJG by Schrecky -- this guy must've taken hours to place this cache

Edited by geofun2007

I would like to nominate Ian5281's Umbrella Rock cache in Venango County for inclusion on this list. It already is listed on nine "favorites" bookmark lists. The cache is hidden 35 feet underground in a cool cave, and there's a bonus cache full of diamonds mined by the cache owner, located nearby on the unusual rock formation that gives the cache its name.

That looks like a great cache! As soon as I can update my bookmarks list without getting Server Error in '/' Application from the web site, I'll add it to the list. Thanks for pointing it out, and congrats on your milestone!

guyute1210 mentioned most of all my favorites. cathedral rocks, freedom falls, beer well, etc.

would add: victory iron furnace, bullion iron furnace, denison overlook mystery, southern half (all venango county) git r dunn, sunken garden trail (butler county). sts ridge trail vista (potter county) is one of my all time favorites.

Bumping this thread which has been dormant too long. I *KNOW* there are some Geocaching gems hidden in Pennsylvania that aren't yet listed here.

If you've got a cache that's listed on a few "favorites" lists and you believe it to be one of the best caches Pennsylvania has to offer, by all means post the information here.

Bumping this thread which has been dormant too long. I *KNOW* there are some Geocaching gems hidden in Pennsylvania that aren't yet listed here.

If you've got a cache that's listed on a few "favorites" lists and you believe it to be one of the best caches Pennsylvania has to offer, by all means post the information here.

Here are a few of mine that have a couple of "favorites" bookmarks:

Wintergreen Gorge Walk

Nature Hike: Gorge

Chaotic Altitude 2

- Rev Mike

SInce I started a Best of the US in the forums, figured I would chip in 3 I know of with multiple favorites:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...75-efdc8cacf415 Orion Rising

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...4c-30d151d24334 Gone Fishing in the Gamelands

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...94-184b7d96cf70 Indian Trail Steps

Let's hope bringing this up to the front again brings in some more listings.

Happy New Year!

I'm not one to toot my own horn, but there is one cache that Lux and I hid that's been added to 4 other "favorite caches" lists and has been a hit with those who have taken the time to search it out. It's a stand-alone night cache that's also part of the larger GOTCHA Challenge. Lux and I put a lot of hours and miles into this hide and, judging from the logs, it was worth all the effort. I consider this to be my 2nd best cache hide. (The first being High & Low, which was already mentioned in this thread)

GC: NOCTURNAL (GC15MAJ)

While doing some searching on local caches, I realized this one has 4 favorites:

Thirsty for the Healing Water

I'm also gonna toot my own horn on this one:

RACCOON LOOP.....HIKING 20 MILES FOR ONE SMILEY? .

It has 3 favorite tags on only 14 finds, and also has many complimentary logs.

People, PLEASE get some newer gems listed. I know we have plenty out there in good 'ol PA. Gotta get my list compiled for the PA County and Delorme Challenges. :mad:

PAFARMBOY