Pennsylvania's Finest Caches - a list of the best!

DocDiTTo

Let's come up with a list of Pennsylvania's finest caches, the kind that you'd drive well out of your way to do!

Here are a few of my all-time favorite PA caches to start off (in no particular order, as they're all exceptional)

Thousand Steps Cache

Scattered Remains

Casparis

Elk Rock

PA Turnpike Cache #2 "The Cache Down Under"

Polly Takes The Plunge

PRAY FOR DAYLIGHT!

Sand Quarry

The Beer Well

High Knob Memorial

What are yours?

Here are some of what I feel are the best in Central PA. They are all in our Top 10. Check out the reasons we like them HolyCowboys Hall of Fame Signal Geocoin

Boalsburg Parks - Multi

Three Sisters - Virtual

Bob's Biking Bonanza - Multi

North Pole Puzzler - Unknown

Carving Out A Niche - Multi

Panther Run - Traditional

Spawner's Retirement Traditional

Another vote for Thousand Steps Cache - Traditional

Enjoy,

HolyCowboys <_<

No one here yet for the SE part of the state yet, so here are the top six, in no particular order, from the list on my profile page.

Lost at Sea GC2DC4

Do You Canoe GCJFEQ

Hochste GebirgseRegions der Berks Grafzebaft GCG9RD

Chris' Cove Cache GCTBF4

Eagle's Nest GC35CC

Wolf Rocks GC59DA

More nominations, since this is getting all official and everything.

Bear Run by Quest Master (SW PA)

Chicken Chasing Challenge by Accident Prone Hiker (SW PA)

County Confluence Cliffhanger by Nellsnake and Tonsil (SW PA)

Hampton by Quest Master (SW PA)

Hootin' in the Holler by Accident Prone Hiker (SW PA)

Iron Center by Quest Master (SW PA)

JQ007-Ricketts Glen by IMLost/Team Jack Quest (NE PA)

Pavement Ends by MissJenn (SE PA)

Presque Isle Multi-Purpose Trail Cache by TPrints (NW PA)

Race Ya to the Top by Geo-Packrat (Central PA)

[

Pennyslvania's Favorite Caches bookmark list has been created.

We haven't heard much from the folks in the northeastern corner of the state. I'm sure there are some good caches up there...

anyone?

Actually two of the ones on my list are North of the Blue Mountain thus technically in NEPA. and three more are on the Blue Mountain, leaving only one as a true SEPA cache.

So here is a more of a SEPA list... South of Blue Mountain and East of the Susquehanna..

Stonehill Greenway Cache GC69EB

Crouching Chief, Hidden Cache GCKNCT

Moo's Cache GCMRKY

Liars Cache GC5D2C

Sandy Spring GCRF8N

Dead Man's Cave GCAE2

Get the Point GCNQ9D

There are more, but others need to share their ideas. :D

Kennedy Park, Plus by whistler & co. GCPV4A

Cary Mountain by Rich in NEPA GC6114

The Experiment and The Resurrection by mountainbiker GC8CC

Riddler's Revenge by Rich in NEPA GC879

King of the Hill: Revived by gcas2006 and B.S.W.S GCWAYK

The first is a short walk cleverly placed while all the others are nice short hikes (except Cary Mtn) with beautiful trails or spectacular views. All of them are not be missed though! :D

I like how the bookmark list indicates how many favorites lists the cache appears on. People should consider this fact when making nominations.

DocDiTTo, would you consider adding a location code for each cache's bookmark entry, like I did in my post above?

CPA = Central PA

NEPA = Northeast PA

NWPA = Northwest PA

SEPA = Southeast PA

SWPA = Southwest PA

And howabout mentioning the owner's name in the bookmark entry, to give fair credit?

I know, that is a lot of work. Thanks for putting the list together.

1st National Cache of Wyoming County

It's all in the view, baby!

Old Robinson Pond

This cache has it all (sneaky hides, nice swag, great hike in pleasant surroundings), but part three is the one you'll always remember.

The Stone Visage and Beyond

The Stone Visage is neat, and "beyond" is even better.

Treasure of Archbald

Part one is in a very interesting place, but the area near part two is truly wonderful.

Penny Rock Cache

This is a beautiful spot. Penny Rock itself is pretty unique, and the falls and gorge are very picturesque.

River Vista #1

A brief walk, a relatively easy find, and an unforgettable view from high above the Susquehanna Rover.

I like how the bookmark list indicates how many favorites lists the cache appears on. People should consider this fact when making nominations.

DocDiTTo, would you consider adding a location code for each cache's bookmark entry, like I did in my post above?

CPA = Central PA

NEPA = Northeast PA

NWPA = Northwest PA

SEPA = Southeast PA

SWPA = Southwest PA

And howabout mentioning the owner's name in the bookmark entry, to give fair credit?

I know, that is a lot of work. Thanks for putting the list together.

Very good ideas. I'll work on adding both.

Boy, this is quickly turning into a larger project than I expected. :):)

I just discovered this thread because one of my caches made it on the list :). I have looked through my favorites list and found some others to add from Western PA. Each of the following caches has made it onto at least four favorites lists (hmmm, it would be nice to be able to sort caches by numbers of appearances on favorites lists :)):

A Cachin' Combination by Accident_Prone_Hiker (GCHRGF)

Bluestone by Quest Master (GC1CC5)

Buttermilk Falls by Swampthing and wife (GC14C7)

Chameleon Reborn by Accident_Prone_Hiker (GCJ93G)

Heart Attack at Sunrise by slimjim28 and Tonsil (GCE480)

Wolf Rocks Cache by Treasure Bandits (GC8C2C)

Ok, I'm going to throw in my 2 1/2 cents (I tried to avoid repeats, but my apologies if I include one previously mentioned). Most of these are because of location, and not so much because of cache ingenuity.

The General

Stony Mt Stash

Treasure Island (even though I just DNF'd it)

Laurel Hill

Presque Isle Multi Purpose Trail Cache

State Game Lands #109 (oldest active cache in PA, so it has historical significance)

Camp Michaux Nostalgia

The Underground Railroad (currently disabled, and I have not finished it, but am really enjoying the journey)

Dr. Strangelove

Wishing There are several other caches that will bring you to this same Ghost Town, but I picked this one because it's the most unique hide of them, IMO.

Iron Valley II....The Edge

I would like to include High & Low, but haven't done it yet so I'm not sure(soon...very soon...I swear!)

I am also including a couple of mine that either on a couple bookmark lists or have a lot of users watching them (I also believe they all offer a unique caching experience). Doc, you knew these were coming...so I'll let you make judgement on whether you want to include them or not.

Llama Corner Revisited

Outdoor Plumbing 2: Pipe Dreams

The Legend of the Wretched Cursed Treasure of Gold

Edited by ThePropers

NWPA needs a few more on the list - some to choose from that have not been mentioned yet

Larrys coon hunting cache - I put over 20 miles of stomping to find this one

What's in the bag dad - this was a blast (very creative)

The fellowship of the ring - nice easy walk through PI

Mouses tree house - changed a bit from when it was first hidden but still a great area

One 4U Tom - the best camo on a micro I have ever seen

:laughing: - some shameless self promotion

Everything up to now has been added, and the hider's names and region have been added to each entry.

Looks like we have some excellent caches on this list! Thanks to all who've contributed thus far!!

Just got a note that The Underground Railroad has been archived. D'oh!

This one will likely be requested to return as active. I have to stop the email somehow :) ...the support from fellow cachers for this cache has been overwhelming.

I have a busy couple of weeks with travel for work, then I'll focus on this one again.

Salvelinus

I'll add my favorites so far. In no particular order:

Fish Kish Cache by subsystem (GCW96X)

Figure It Out! by Peters Pan (GCP3N7)

Perry Reflection by dziner (GCKEQF) (what a view!)

The Lost Children of the Alleghenies by jt (GC9763) (very touching story)

The Land of Oz by The Seven G's (GCTDVT)

Having found the 7 Mtns Patch Cache today, I believe it's deserving of a mention in this thread. It's already on 3 "favorite caches" bookmark lists, and it's easy to see why. The view from the vista near the cache is exceptional -- especially considering it's only a 15-20 minute walk to get there.

On my favorites list, I call that "The World's Best Rest Stop Cache." You park at a rest stop, but then hop on a hiking trail for a 20-minute climb to a scenic overlook. A bit different than wondering whether the cache is in the guardrail, magneted to the back of a sign, or hidden in the bushes back by the picnic tables.

Having found the 7 Mtns Patch Cache today, I believe it's deserving of a mention in this thread. It's already on 3 "favorite caches" bookmark lists, and it's easy to see why. The view from the vista near the cache is exceptional -- especially considering it's only a 15-20 minute walk to get there.

Yep, that's one of the better rest stop caches I've done. It's a little bit better than the magnetic keyholder by the garbage dumpster.

I also just knocked off The Beer Well that was on this list. Great location and story, so thanks for the recommendation.

Edited by ThePropers