which pda is best?

After getting lost this weekend and my wife and I screaming at each other over who's fault it was (hers) I have decided I need a GPS system for my pda. I currently have the TX and wonder what is the best system out there for Palm? bluetooth or wired? I also own a 2000 Chevy venture that has a reflective coating that will not allow my handheld extrex gps to work on the front dash. What ever solution I have needs to have a longer cord to run to the side windows or rear windows or use bluetooth. I would be willing to switch pdas to a PPC if opinions think the ppc would be better for GPS systems. I have heard of a few systems , namely TOM TOM, co pilot, garmin systems. What do you guys think?

After getting lost this weekend and my wife and I screaming at each other over who's fault it was (hers) I have decided I need a GPS system for my pda. I currently have the TX and wonder what is the best system out there for Palm? bluetooth or wired? I also own a 2000 Chevy venture that has a reflective coating that will not allow my handheld extrex gps to work on the front dash. What ever solution I have needs to have a longer cord to run to the side windows or rear windows or use bluetooth. I would be willing to switch pdas to a PPC if opinions think the ppc would be better for GPS systems. I have heard of a few systems , namely TOM TOM, co pilot, garmin systems. What do you guys think?

I don't think there are any GPS systems for PALM that are very good. You could go with a PPC, however i'd suggest you get a high end unit like a 60CSx (i have it and its great) and you'll probably get signal in your car. I once had an etrex legend and got almost nothing in my car and now with my new 60CSx signal comes in great even in the middle of the back seat. If you got City Navigator you could even get turn by turn directions like you wanted and it'd be great for caching :)

I will second Train Man's recommendation. I have a 60Cx and City Nav, as well. I went to a KC Royals game two weeks ago and the GPS even got me out of the parking lot after the game, in the dark, and I had no idea where to go. Of course, it got me to the ball park before the game, but I had some kind of idea where I was going. It also got me to and from the hotel in the Dallas area for a Rangers game. I feel pretty confident that if I ever (or when I) make a wrong turn, City Nav will get me back on course very quickly. You also have access to 6 million waypoints at your fingertips so you will always know where the closest restaurant or bathroom are. It is a wonderful navigation tool!

I feel pretty confident that if I ever (or when I) make a wrong turn, City Nav will get me back on course very quickly. You also have access to 6 million waypoints at your fingertips so you will always know where the closest restaurant or bathroom are. It is a wonderful navigation tool!

Just make sure that you have CityNavigator 8, not 7. We bought a 2720 w/v 7 back in December 2005 and it was nothing but problems. The Nuvi that we bought last month has the new version and all of the data problems that we experienced with the 2720 are gone.

Before buying the Nuvi, I talked to someone at Garmin, and they assured me that, since version 8 was shipping, I'd either get it, or a free update, if I bought the GPS now. If you buy new, make sure that you're getting v8.

I don't think there are any GPS systems for PALM that are very good. You could go with a PPC, however i'd suggest you get a high end unit like a 60CSx (i have it and its great) and you'll probably get signal in your car. I once had an etrex legend and got almost nothing in my car and now with my new 60CSx signal comes in great even in the middle of the back seat. If you got City Navigator you could even get turn by turn directions like you wanted and it'd be great for caching :(

http://www.mapopolis.com/

Look at the video of the palm being used with navigator . looks pretty easy to use. I don't know how there software compares. I was thinking ppc just because of the add high rez screen and bigger screen to look at. I first and formost want a good pda the gps navigating would be 2nd with my etrex for using when caching. I want a device that can do more then turn by turn directions and caching points. I think that is why I am looking at a pda solution.

There are some many units to choice from and software combos wow where do you start. Looks like tom,tom, mapoplois and streets and trips are at the top?

Then which unit do you choice..

http://www.buygpsnow.com/gps-for-pocket-pc_1.html

http://www.buygpsnow.com/gps-for-palm_93.html

Hi,

Sorry this post is a bit late, don't visit forums too much. I use CoPilot with a Bluetooth GPS - works great for me. I can add custom POI (caches etc), it is one of the few SatNavs that do waypoint optimisation which is useful when you pick your caches for a day out and the route around them is planned for you. There are lots of other players but you make your own call on the solution. I was a PDA user for a few years before I added a SatNav solution all before I got started with Geocaching and became a paperless cacher so my choices had to fit in with other requirements. I enjoy utilising my PDA as much as possible (good ones don't come cheep) so feel this package brings even more return (and helps to justify my periodic upgrades!)

I have an Ipaq 2215, a Pocket PC. I use GlobalSat BC-337 Compact Flash GPS Receiver (SiRF III) (WAAS) that plugs into the 2215's CF slot. I use the Globalsat in the CF slot only for receptioon in my car. I don't have the problem with my windshield that you have. But the unit comes with an extension cord and antenna with a built-in magnet that plugs into the base GPS so you can stick it to the top of your car. There's also a little suction cup so you can stik it to the side window if reception isn't a problem there or on the window if a plane if you're flying. There may be Sirf III units that slip into the SD slot also and Mapopolis works in Palm units too. Check semsons.com I've had good service and prices from them.

I use my 2215 for paperless caching using gpxsonar on-board. I also have Mapopolis loaded for voice and visual auto-navigating in my car and for navigating to the cache in the woods. You can use gpxtomaplet to overlay all the cache waypoint right over the Mapopolis maps so you can route from cache to cache or use it for regular street navigation. I use the heck out of this for business traveling around.

Ipaq provide Microsoft Outlook an organizing program I also use for business for To DO lists,appointments, telephone contacts, etc. Don't forget WiFI, email, connection for the web (I don't use it for these last functions however). With the contact list, Mapopolis will also allow you select people's address directly and route to them another nice feature.

I also have the PPC loaded with GPXSONAR for paperless caching

I have an Ipaq 2215, a Pocket PC. I use GlobalSat BC-337 Compact Flash GPS Receiver (SiRF III) (WAAS) that plugs into the 2215's CF slot. I use the Globalsat in the CF slot only for receptioon in my car. I don't have the problem with my windshield that you have. But the unit comes with an extension cord and antenna with a built-in magnet that plugs into the base GPS so you can stick it to the top of your car. There's also a little suction cup so you can stik it to the side window if reception isn't a problem there or on the window if a plane if you're flying. There may be Sirf III units that slip into the SD slot also and Mapopolis works in Palm units too. Check semsons.com I've had good service and prices from them.

I use my 2215 for paperless caching using gpxsonar on-board. I also have Mapopolis loaded for voice and visual auto-navigating in my car and for navigating to the cache in the woods. You can use gpxtomaplet to overlay all the cache waypoint right over the Mapopolis maps so you can route from cache to cache or use it for regular street navigation. I use the heck out of this for business traveling around.

Ipaq provide Microsoft Outlook an organizing program I also use for business for To DO lists,appointments, telephone contacts, etc. Don't forget WiFI, email, connection for the web (I don't use it for these last functions however). With the contact list, Mapopolis will also allow you select people's address directly and route to them another nice feature.

Now can you load all of north america maps into the pda in one card. I found out mapopolis has a kit that includes a bluetooth reciever, 1gb car with all of north america on it for 189.00 I didn't see anything for the ppc's.

Sticking with the Palm will seriously limit your choices (essentially to Mapopolis). Mapopolis isn't bad, but if you had a PPC, it wouldn't be my first choice. As far as car navigation, I would say that Mapopolis is slightly better than the 60cx. The biggest advantage is that your PDA will give you voice guidance, so you don't have to distract yourself from driving by looking at the screen (the 60cx will only beep, and you have to read what it wants off of the screen). I have literally driven across the US with an eMap and 60cs, and they were both very useful. However, if I was given a chance, I would choose a PPC for car navigation without hesitation, because it has voice guidance, it calculates better routes, it calculates much faster, and it's much-much easier to enter addresses or find POIs. I currently have a Vista Cx and a PPC PDA Phone with a Holux 236 GPS, and unless there are special circumstances (no power for 10+ hours, wet conditions, rough conditions), I use the PPC for both hiking and driving.

As for choosing between wires and bluetooth: I would vote for bluetooth. Wired will give you all sorts of complications, and you will have to get a different set of cables if you want to upgrade your PPC. The only drawback of bluetooth is that you need an additional power source for the GPS (or you need to keep its battery charged). But I guess that most wired solutions will also require external power unless your PDA can be a USB host.

As others have mentioned, if you get a Sirf III unit (may it be a dedicated handheld GPS such as the 60cx or just a bluetooth receiver), it will probably work just find behind your windshield and give you great reception (see http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=143&page=4 , http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=175&page=3).

My setup is similar to Alan2. I think Mapopolis is outstanding, and I haven't seen where any of the other software provides as much functionality such as overlaying the .gpx directly into the software as he mentions. I don't use Mapopolis in the woods anymore, but it and GPXSonar give you everything you would need to cache with a Pocket PC. I frequently use these two programs to find caches and info. at the campsite, living room, hotel room or anywhere else. I don't know if the Palm version of Mapopolis supports the .gpx import or not (I don't see why it wouldn't), but if it did you could also add Cachemate to your Palm to do the same thing as Sonar.

There are some links to gpspassion above. This site also has a dedicated and active forum for Mapopolis, both PPC and Palm. The Palm users complain a bit that the PPC version is more full-featured, but I don't see too many negative comments about the Palm version in its own rite. You should check that out.

I have no problems with my SirfIII under the windshield of my 1998 Venture. This past weekend, it was seeing and using 12 sats with the receiver stored in the console under the dash. I've read about the coating in the past, and the only cars that people posted about were Peugeots (sp?) and one other not Chevy brand. I suspect the receiver would be okay under your windshield. Alternatively, there is a cigarette outlet behind the rear left removable panel in the van. If worse comes to worst, you could mount the receiver by or on the left back window, but I don't think you'll have problems with the windshield.

The voice directions are a huge advantage, I think. I've left the PPC in its case in the car console without the screen visible and navigated by just listening before. Plus, it allows you to keep your attention on the road. If you need to make a few maneuvers (merging, etc.) in heavy traffic, you don't want your attention on the screen of the device. The PDAs also have larger screens, which is nice when you do want to look at it. I've made trips where I had no clue where I was going, but relied on Mapopolis to get me there. It hasn't failed me yet, but I have to be paying attention to where I'm going in unfamiliar areas.

Let's see what else . . . I'd agree with the bluetooth receiver. No cables to inconvenience you, and you can change PDAs without worring about compatability issues . . . Streets and Trips is not a good alternative for a PDA because it will not provide routes or voice directions. It will only do this with a laptop running the full version.

Now can you load all of north america maps into the pda in one card. I found out mapopolis has a kit that includes a bluetooth reciever, 1gb car with all of north america on it for 189.00 I didn't see anything for the ppc's.

I'm not familiar with their NavCard but you can check this page to get the Navigator maps for Palm. You may wish to contact them and give them specifics about your Palm so they can verify if there is any problem using mapopolis with your unit. They use to have a nine day free trial. Not sure if they still have that.

Using the Navigator maps onj my PPC I have a few states in the northeast loaded in about 150M. I suppose you can load all the US if you have a large enough card. One problem with the Navigator (do not know if theis is true with the NavCard) is that if you select maps where the popoulation is greater than 20 million, the auto routing won't work. You only get the initial route until you get closer. I find that's a problem when I go between states as I live in thye NYC area where it's pretty populated. Good luck.

The generic Solar Bluetooth GPS, delivered from various ebay vendors about $US 106, with Sirf Star III chipset is not the smallest of the Bluetooth receivers, but it has two advantages; left on the dash the built in solar panel recharges the battery, from dead to fully charged after 4 days in the sun. But generally with normal usage a couple of hours a day, never even needs to be plugged into the cigarette lighter. Also the unit has an antenna jack and for about $US 20 delivered, you can get a magnetic mount antenna you can lay on the roof and will give you about 3dbi gain - good enough to navigate in most wild or urban canyons. ;)

TomTom Navigator for Palm (after inputting the geocaches as POI's) for street navigation and GeoNiche for everything else work great on a Palm.

I agree I have a Treo 650(palmOS) with GeoNiche and TomTOm on it.

I use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) to convert the LOC or GPX files into:

- POIs (Points of interst) that TomTom can read

And

- palm database files that GeoNiche can read.......

GeoNiche is a great Navigator and Cache Magement tool.... TomTom is an amazing Street Navigation tool.

PPC owners may/maynot have more software options but i am happy with the above mentioned tools......

I have an HP ipaq 2210 and GPS10 bluetooth (I bought it a year ago). It never work properly. After a few minutes of operation, I lost the connection. It is useless. I did all the updates from HP and Garmin, still have the problem. I call HP and GARMIN, but no solution. I think it is the PDA is the problem. So I the GPS10 is in the drawer.

I have an HP ipaq 2210 and GPS10 bluetooth (I bought it a year ago). It never work properly. After a few minutes of operation, I lost the connection. It is useless. I did all the updates from HP and Garmin, still have the problem. I call HP and GARMIN, but no solution. I think it is the PDA is the problem. So I the GPS10 is in the drawer.

Why not try this. It fits into the CF slot, has SIRFIII gps the most sensitive on the market today, no cables, no bluetooth and you still have the SD slot for memory cards. I use it in my Ipaq 2215 which is basically the same model you have. You might want to update the Operating System from Microsoft I'm running Ver 4.20

Edited by Alan2

Why not try this. It fits into the CF slot, has SIRFIII gps the most sensitive on the market today, no cables, no bluetooth and you still have the SD slot for memory cards. I use it in my Ipaq 2215 which is basically the same model you have. You might want to update the Operating System from Microsoft I'm running Ver 4.20

I use a Palm TX along with an i.TrexM3 (from Semsons, good people with good support). Never leave home without them.

Is it compatible with city navigator and TOPO Canada?

Garmin mapping programs work in PC's and their GPS's but not in PPC's as far as I am aware. You might ckeck with them to see iof any of their products do work in PPC's. I'd be interested in finding out if that is the case.

National geographic Topo and other mfr's do have mapping programs for PPC's in case you're interested. You can track your position on the NG Topo map.

Garmin mapping programs work in PC's and their GPS's but not in PPC's as far as I am aware. You might ckeck with them to see iof any of their products do work in PPC's. I'd be interested in finding out if that is the case.

National geographic Topo and other mfr's do have mapping programs for PPC's in case you're interested. You can track your position on the NG Topo map.

As I said before,

all maps from GARMIN work on PPC. They use IQue mapping software. I have a GPS10. But the bigest problem I have is to keep the GPS10 connected with my pocket PC via the bluetooth connection.