Cleaning Military Surplus Ammo Boxes

Nomenature

Howdy GC-world!

Well, needless to say we are having a blast with the new hobby. And we've been very busy placing our first few caches. I've bought quite an array of supplies from eBay, GC.com etc. And I'm a little puzzled about something I got in the mail recently...

I bought some large metal military surplus ammo boxes from an eBay seller. They arrived just fine, but now that I'm looking at them, they have the remnants of a tape (as if it were stretched across the open mouth of the box) on the sides of the box, which says: "ammunition residue." Clearly this has me a bit concerned, and I am wondering how to best clean these guys before touching them much or worse: placing them out in the wild.

[:)] Can anyone help me? Should I not be concerned? If concern is warrented, what should I be thinking about?

Thanks in advance for any help / advice you have.

I would not worry too much about them I am sure the military would not release any of this stuff to the public if there was any chance they could harm anyone. If you want to be sure you could hold a match to the box and see if it lights Just kidding don't do that lol If you want you could just wash them down with a good detergent and some water :)

I bought some large metal military surplus ammo boxes from an eBay seller. They arrived just fine, but now that I'm looking at them, they have the remnants of a tape (as if it were stretched across the open mouth of the box) on the sides of the box, which says: "ammunition residue." Clearly this has me a bit concerned, and I am wondering how to best clean these guys before touching them much or worse: placing them out in the wild.

Its possiable there was tape streched across the mouth of the can at one time (and probably closed over the tape). This keeps the (empty?) cans linked together in chains and helps keep them in nice piles on the pallet, one can can't just slip out... Also, The military is supposed to check the cans before they're released for sale to be sure they're empty, non-radioactive, etc. If there is any sort of ammo residue inside its not a lot. If it concerns you I think a simple soap and water cleaning would be fine.

Howdy GC-world!

Well, needless to say we are having a blast with the new hobby. And we've been very busy placing our first few caches. I've bought quite an array of supplies from eBay, GC.com etc. And I'm a little puzzled about something I got in the mail recently...

[:)] Can anyone help me? Should I not be concerned? If concern is warrented, what should I be thinking about?

Thanks in advance for any help / advice you have.

Just to add add one last thing You said you bought these ammo boxes through Ebay therefore the were delivered through the postal service and I am pretty sure that all parcels going through the United States Postal Service are scanned and screened for any of this sort of residue :grin:

Its possiable there was tape streched across the mouth of the can at one time (and probably closed over the tape). This keeps the (empty?) cans linked together in chains and helps keep them in nice piles on the pallet, one can can't just slip out... Also, The military is supposed to check the cans before they're released for sale to be sure they're empty, non-radioactive, etc. If there is any sort of ammo residue inside its not a lot. If it concerns you I think a simple soap and water cleaning would be fine.

My first job as an engineer after graduating from college was in an army ammunition plant in Baraboo, WI. I can't imagine any problems with whatever residue there might be. However, for peace of mind, etc. wash it off with detergent and water. To remove remnants of the tape, use Goo-Gone as previously suggested, or paint thinner, or acetone, etc. I would suggest that if you use these solvents do the cleaning outdoors.

Just to add add one last thing You said you bought these ammo boxes through Ebay therefore the were delivered through the postal service and I am pretty sure that all parcels going through the United States Postal Service are scanned and screened for any of this sort of residue <_<

If this were true, I'm pretty sure they would frequently fail.

OT, just wipe it out with soap and water and use goo gone on the tape residue. You might also do a quick forum search to turn up a few threads on camoing the can.