European or american GPS?

siMF

Hi everyone!

I'm from Catalonia, a country in Europe, and this august I'm travelling to New York. I've just started knowing about Geocaching and so I still don't have a GPS. I'd like to buy one, but I don't know whether buy it in Europe or in the USA. There will be any problems about using an american GPS in Europe? Would it function properly an american GPS in Europe? And where are cheeper, the GPS, in Europe or in the US? Where would you recommend me to buy one?

Thank you all!

Hi everyone!

I'm from Catalonia, a country in Europe, and this august I'm travelling to New York. I've just started knowing about Geocaching and so I still don't have a GPS. I'd like to buy one, but I don't know whether buy it in Europe or in the USA. There will be any problems about using an american GPS in Europe? Would it function properly an american GPS in Europe? And where are cheeper, the GPS, in Europe or in the US? Where would you recommend me to buy one?

Thank you all!

The GPS system works all over the world. The main difference would be if you were buying a mapping GPS. You would probably want the base map to cover the area you'll be using it in the most.

The GPS system works all over the world. The main difference would be if you were buying a mapping GPS. You would probably want the base map to cover the area you'll be using it in the most.

So there are some that only are able to show the map of the zone in which they are?

And do you know sth about prices?

Thanks!

Hola sIMF,

Yes, GPS units work all over the world. The big difference is the maps they use. Usually, the ones bought in Europe have maps of Europe and the ones bought in the US, have of course maps of USA.

Still, you can easily buy an GPS unit in the USA and then buy the maps of Europe. Garmin maps usually are more expensive than the ones from Magellan.

We're from Portugal and we bought our Magellan Sportrak Pro to an american. The unit came with the maps of USA. We bought the Europe maps and then replaced the american ones in the unit.

We already geocached in Barcelona. :)

In New York, check the prices on the big stores, but you'll have a better deal if you buy online.

Good luck and have fun!

The previous post was a bit misleading when it said you can "replace" the maps. The base maps are never replaced, and are always in the unit. That's why I said you should get a unit with the base maps for the area that you will use it in most. When you upload maps, you're adding additional detail. Once you've moved outside the area for which you've uploaded additional maps, you're back to using the base map.

The main thing you would need to make sure of is that you are using the right DATUM for where you are in Europe or the USA. As they have already said it doesn't matter where you buy the GPS. [/b]private solictation removed by moderator[/b] Good Luck! :)

Edited by robertlipe

The previous post was a bit misleading when it said you can "replace" the maps. The base maps are never replaced, and are always in the unit. That's why I said you should get a unit with the base maps for the area that you will use it in most. When you upload maps, you're adding additional detail. Once you've moved outside the area for which you've uploaded additional maps, you're back to using the base map.

But, since the basemaps are generally awful, does it really matter?

But, since the basemaps are generally awful, does it really matter?

Several years ago, I was helping put on a bicycle rally, driving SAG. A couple of idiots missed a turn, and didn't realize it until they reached Waxahachie, 25 miles off the route. I had my GPS with me, but had only loaded the maps for the rally area. But they were able to give me the name of a major street intersection (via pay phone), and I was able to navagate to them and bring them back, using just the base map.

Yeah, it matters.

Edited by Prime Suspect

Note that some GPS's (usually the lower-end ones) will only be able to show the maps for the area you got the GPS in.

Also, make sure if you buy a GPS in the US but intend to use in Europe that it has the ability to show metric distances. Most have a option to toggle to either ("English" vs. metric), but a few do not, so need to check it. This is especially true with the reverse, buying a GPS in Europe, which may only show in metric (but probably still OK for you as that is what you are likely "used to" and you may want it to be metric even while visiting the US).

Good luck, and as a NYer, I say welcome to our city/state and enjoy!

If you buy low-end with no possibility to add maps (Magellan 300, for instance) the only map you will have is the basemap, so you really have to choose between european and american. If you buy high-end with removable memory cards (Garmin GPSMap 60cx or Magellan 600, for instance) it's not important: I'm perfectly happy with a US Garmin 60csx in Europe. The basemaps in these models are not much use anyway, and although you can't replace them you have enough memory to add all the maps you need.

There's a chance to replace base maps in some GPS units, like the Magellan Sportrak Pro. I did it.

I was refering not to base maps but to the maps you can upload. :P