Not sure what to do with this cache

Sioneva

I placed my second cache recently, which was an easy 1/2, on the shore of one of the lakes around here. Then it started raining, and raining, and raining. Now the cache is sitting about three feet underwater - I think. I went out to check on it four days ago, was able to wade in without a problem, find it easily, and reassure myself it's completely waterproof. It is. So instead of pulling the cache, I upped the difficulty and terrain ratings, and posted a note.

Went back out there today and the water was even higher. I wasn't wearing the right kind of footwear to wade in and tell how deep the water is. So I'll have to go back.

My question - if it were your cache, would you pull it? Or not?

Disable it for now (post a note telling why). If this is a very unusual amount of rain and the cache is most likely not going to be impacted often in the future, I'd leave it as is and re-enable it when things are back to normal. If the flooding in the cache area is a frequent event, I'd move the cache, or at the very least mention in the description (not in a log note) that the area is prone to frequent flooding. You can't prevent acts of God, but you can sometimes predict them, and I think it's common courtesy to mention the possibility of flooding since just the proximity of the cache to the lakeshore does not necessarily indicate to cachers that the area is prone to inundation (especially if a cacher happens to be visiting from out of the area).

Edited for spelling.

Edited by whistler & co.

I placed my second cache recently, which was an easy 1/2, on the shore of one of the lakes around here. Then it started raining, and raining, and raining. Now the cache is sitting about three feet underwater - I think. I went out to check on it four days ago, was able to wade in without a problem, find it easily, and reassure myself it's completely waterproof. It is. So instead of pulling the cache, I upped the difficulty and terrain ratings, and posted a note.

Went back out there today and the water was even higher. I wasn't wearing the right kind of footwear to wade in and tell how deep the water is. So I'll have to go back.

My question - if it were your cache, would you pull it? Or not?

Just curious, what kind of container did you use?

This is something that you as the cache owner need to make a call on.

Considerations:

How is going into the water going to change the experience for the cacher? Is this what you want?

Does it matter to you that fewer people will attempt to find it?

Also, as the cache owner do you want take on the task of tweaking the cache page with updates on the water level, equipment needed, or so on?

When the water level goes back down, it's there going to be a period where you are dealing with muck?

It's a higher maintenace situation for sure. I'd also prepare for a few "oops" replacements from finders too.

Sounds like the cache is really bringing you to this scenic spot (the lake) Placing this in a higher dryer area would be sure to give you more peace of mind that your visitors were not disappointed. Also consider if this is a family type cache. Best not to be muddy for some folks.

The cache is a smallish, square tupperware container, and it is waterproof, I already had that proven. :( I am pretty new to my area as well, and therefore, don't know what the normal lake level usually is. Was it low because of a drought, and the recent rains filled it back up, or is it running high now? I don't know. I don't mind frequent trips and adjusting the cache attributes frequently, though. I'm going back out there now to see how possible it is to findthe cache, I'll probably end up relocating it anyway.

Stay tuned. And thanks for all the helpful advice! :P

Had a friend, a local cacher, who had a very like concern . . . when I was hunting his cache sans success, he suggested (phone) that the recent river flood may have dislodged & moved the cache - had me place a micro (always in my pack) in a tree over the hide site (at the coords) so that any seekers could find/sign a log and not be disappointed - a very thoughtful hider, he :P .

I like this AND the change of difficulty idea . . . especially since you know the cache IS there!

I /had/ done the change of difficulty, terrain, et al... but I just got back from a fruitless try. I didn't even get near the cache - forty feet out and the water was already at knee level, it was murky, and the footing was uncertain. Plus, I was alone. My grand scheme was to stumble across the tire the cache was hidden in, but I was afraid I'd really stumble, I knew there was a bit of glass in the area.

End of story, I disabled it, I'll go back in a month to see if I can find it. It had one of my two geocoins in it. :P That's the worst part.

Had a friend, a local cacher, who had a very like concern . . . when I was hunting his cache sans success, he suggested (phone) that the recent river flood may have dislodged & moved the cache - had me place a micro (always in my pack) in a tree over the hide site (at the coords) so that any seekers could find/sign a log and not be disappointed - a very thoughtful hider, he :P .

I like this AND the change of difficulty idea . . . especially since you know the cache IS there!

As a follow-up question, did you log it as a "found it"...or a DNF or a note??