CITO?

swizzle

I know of a local rest stop that could use a trash can. They have at least one picnic table and river access. Its a fair sized pull off capable of holding a few tractor trailers. This area has a few little trails just down the bank that has a considerable amount of TP and just general trash. Would it be wrong of me to put a 50 gallon barrel at this location? Its far enough away that I wouldn't be able to maintain it. I say local but its almost 50 miles from my house. I would love to encourage rubbish clean up in an area like this but would the town start maintaining a trash can that just mysteriously showed up one day? The place is in need of a public toilet as well. Its miles from a toilet so now there is a nice TP trail with a cache in the middle. The cacher doesn't advertise CITO so I assume we are suppose to admire the beautiful TP tulips?!? What can be done about a public area that will see this kind of constant trash abuse? Just wondering what you guys would do in this situation. I for one don't feel that I should be responsible for picking up used TP. Potato chip bags and candy wrappers and other various trash, yes I can see that but used TP is just nasty. Swizzle

Would it be wrong of me to put a 50 gallon barrel at this location? Its far enough away that I wouldn't be able to maintain it. I say local but its almost 50 miles from my house. I would love to encourage rubbish clean up in an area like this but would the town start maintaining a trash can that just mysteriously showed up one day?
Have you tried finding out who the local land managers are and contacting them?

[The place is in need of a public toilet as well. Its miles from a toilet so now there is a nice TP trail with a cache in the middle. The cacher doesn't advertise CITO so I assume we are suppose to admire the beautiful TP tulips?!?
I would not assume that.

I for one don't feel that I should be responsible for picking up used TP.
I agree with you. I try to be careful about my personal health and the hazrds I expose my body to.

Have you tried finding out who the local land managers are and contacting them?

No I haven't tried to contact land management. They would probably want to know how I can sleep at night thinking about TP in their woods 50 miles from my bed.

The place is in need of a public toilet as well. Its miles from a toilet so now there is a nice TP trail with a cache in the middle. The cacher doesn't advertise CITO so I assume we are suppose to admire the beautiful TP tulips?!?

I would not assume that.

I guess that was kind of a stupid statement, huh!

It just makes me wonder why people place caches in spots like this without advertising CITO? Swizzle

From a Park perspective, I know that many of these types of places (like many other parks), have gone to a Carry-In-Carry-Out philosophy. I think the logic behind this movement was largely a matter of economics, as parks were paying lots of money to provide service (garbage and recycling haulers), and facilities (dumpsters, bags) just to haul away peoples stuff.

I would strongly suspect that if you put a 50gal drum there with a bag, and expected that the staff would just make it work, you'd be sorely dissappointed. Not only would they not service it, they would likely throw IT away! Worse yet, if they were able to identify you, they'd cite you for littering!

Just another perspective on the issue.

Cache Advance