Well Taken Care of Caches

Abigail

Lots of threads complaining about contents of caches and maintenance issues. I am curious to know if certain regions have "better" caches.

We recently cached in Mena, Arkansas and I was impressed with the condition of the caches. Clean, well-taken care of, and good swag. I didn't find a million bucks but my kids went away with some nice stuff(I left with an empty swag bag). The hides weren't always difficult but each one was enjoyable. I went away impressed with cachers in Mena.

I want to try the Appalachian Mts. next. Wonder what their caches are like?

(edited for spelling/punctuation)

Edited by Abigail

I think what happens is that newer cachers follow the example of veteran cachers. If the "pioneers" in an area hid a certain style of cache and made sure they were well taken care of, subsequent finders would think that's the norm and emulate it.

As far as the Appalachains, they are a long chain of mountains that span a number of states. So I'm sure there is a very wide variety of variety of styles and maintenance habits along its route.

Lots of threads complaining about contents of caches and maintenance issues. I am curious to know if certain regions have "better" caches.

We recently cached in Mena, Arkansas and I was impressed with the condition of the caches. Clean, well-taken care of, and good swag. I didn't find a million bucks but my kids went away with some nice stuff(I left with an empty swag bag). The hides weren't always difficult but each one was enjoyable. I went away impressed with cachers in Mena.

I want to try the Appalachian Mts. next. Wonder what their caches are like?

(edited for spelling/punctuation)

I think you'll find over a period of time that negativity draws the eye/posts in the forums the same as on the news. Positive threads tend to die quickly, but a juicy negative thread will draw a crowd as quickly as a freeway accident.

As for your question, I've cached 13 states and (from my experience) cache maintenance is hit and miss, unless the locals are cleaning stuff up for a mega event.

Should have been more specific. The Great Smokies, Tennessee, Dollywood, Pigeon Forge, etc.

Briansnat, that is an interesting pic? Looks familiar but I can't place it. Have I seen it in a history book?

Abigail

Not to go too far off topic (well its your topic anyways), but its a painting called The Death of Jane McRae. During the Revolutionary War she was the fiance of a loyalist officer in Gen. Burgoyne's army. Ironically, Burgoyne sent Indian raiders into Massachussets and Vt and they captured and killed Miss McRae. The story goes that they brought her scalp into Burgoyne's camp and her fiance spotted it and was really, really ticked off.

Even though she was affianced to a loyalist, her murder inflamed the inhabitants of the region and many formerly neutral residents joined the rebel cause. This in turn helped lead to Burgoyne's defeat at Saratoga a few months later.

So there is a good chance you've seen it in a history book.

Here is an account I found of the incident, though the facts here conflict somewhat with what I've read elsewhere.

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic.

Edited by briansnat

Ditto the above comment that negativity draws attention, unfortunately.

I have cached in 24 states, from Arizona to Massachussets, and found the vast majority of caches to be in good shape, fairly to excellently well stocked.

Areas that have a strong geocaching club or association do seem to stand out... folks want to be well-thought-of in their community and so put more effort into placing and maintaining caches.

There is usually a push before a big event to clean caches up - that was most notable in Texas for GW4, where little preperatory effort to clean up and verify caches appeared to have been made. Even then, however, the vast majority were in good shape.

So, an area with a geocaching association that also has regular events is likely to show you some of the best caching available!

Both of those conditions are met in Alabama; I think we have great caching overall - come on down!

I have met a lot of geocachers, literally hundreds, and can say that this game attracts, for whatever reason, really fine folks. Good people place good caches, if you will accept such an awkward generality!

Ed

I think you'll find over a period of time that negativity draws the eye/posts in the forums the same as on the news. Positive threads tend to die quickly, but a juicy negative thread will draw a crowd as quickly as a freeway accident.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I just so happens that I've cached in 13 states as well, and there are "junk" caches everywhere. Having said that, IMO most caches are not junk, some, maybe a lot, could be improved, but some are outstanding. Cache quality in any area is going to span the range from good to bad.

What we need to do, is lead by example. If you don't like junk caches, don't leave junk caches. And yes one cacher can make a difference. New cachers, and in some cases older cachers, will see that there is higher standard and they will emulate it, even if only out of envy. Do the best you can do, because that's all you can do.