I've never been so close to logging a find on one of my own caches...

ibycus

The other day I was out doing some maintenance on one of my caches.

Since placing the cache, the cache had been moved. I had placed the cache about 50m from the summit of Mt. Indefatigable. I'd intended to put it on top, but there was no way I could make the last 50m to the summit (for starters, there was no way the dog was going the rest of the way). It just got too difficult for me to go any further.

Anyways, sometime between the first and the second finder of the cache, a well meaning hiker moved the cache on to the summit (guess they figured it was a summit register). Anyways, at some point the cache got totally trashed, and I had to do a maintenance visit on it. Practically killed myself over the last 50m (took me ~30-45 minutes to get the last 50m).

Well I made the summit, with lots of hard work, and stress getting me up there. I was very proud of myself.

A tiny part of me wished it was someone else's cache though, so I could get a smiley for my efforts.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Visit my log entry here

Well I made the summit, with lots of hard work, and stress getting me up there. I was very proud of myself.

A tiny part of me wished it was someone else's cache though, so I could get a smiley for my efforts.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Visit my log entry here

Let someone else adopt it and then log it. :o

I placed a multi and lost one of the stages. I went out to get final readings on each of the stages before turning it live and couldn't find a white PVC ring hanging from a pine tree. Decided to place a new ring for the stage and took new readings. A few weeks after it went live I was out watching a friend find the multi. He found the original ring I had placed --- 5 feet from the replacement!

Loch Cache

One of our caches used to get moved around by 10-15 feet quite a bit. Then one time somebody moved it a bunch and we couldn't find it at all, but people were still logging finds on it! We searched the area a couple times, and I looked up in a really hard-to-get-to spot and said, "There's no way it is up there, that'd be stupid, I'm not scrambling up there!"

Another local cacher who'd previously found it kindly stopped by and searched a few days later, and he found that sure enough it had indeed been stashed in that (IMO) awful, tricky spot! We went back and grabbed it and moved it to a much easier location maybe 100 ft away to cause less confusion and injury.

I didn't post a DNF or a find on it, though it was tempting..... how embarrasing on our own cache! Guess I give up too quick :o

Some caches are hard to keep up with :D

I can think of a similar experience. There were a few DNFs on a cache of mine. Its not super tough terrain, but its no picnic either, being about a 3 mile RT hike and on a steep and rocky hillside, with scattered stands of thorn bushes.

There were a few DNFs on the cache so I went there to check it out and couldn't find it where I hid it. I went home to archive it and was surprised to see a find that same day (its not a cache that gets very many finds). I must have missed the finder by a few hours.

So I kept the cache online and a few months later headed back to find it. No dice the second time either.

I asked a recent finder to describe where it was and he wrote me a detailed description of the area. It apparently was moved about 30 feet downhill in the middle of a lot of thorns. After several several months and a handful of DNFs my wife and I decided last fall to check on it. Armed with the description of the hiding place we figured if it was there, we'd find it. Its a .50 cal ammo box, so how hard could it be?

It was a hot fall day and we arrived at ground zero and searched for over an hour. The thorns made the search difficult and they were tearing me up pretty good (see photo), but I was sure we were in the correct spot.

Anyway, we came up empty and I went home and archived the cache. Fast forward to last month, a local geocacher went after it unaware it was archived. Of course he found it.

So I unarchived the cache and I plan on heading there again soon. If I do find it, if anyone deserves a find its me. But its my cache, so no, I won't log it. I just want to see it again!

Legs after the search

946759ab-22ac-4ef9-8a93-cc6bfe394dee.jpg

Edited by briansnat

Smiles for the effort! I'm currently having trouble locating one of my caches. I haven't tried to use the coords and my gps yet, but I think I should be able to find my own hides just from memory. I must say that drinking and caching don't go together, I was under the influence when I hid it, and I'm sure thats why I can't find it again. Other cachers are having no trouble with it though, so I guess I'll find it when everyone says it has a problem.