CNv8 and Garmin "X" model owners ...WAIT!

Quoddy

During a conversation with a Garmin rep about an unlock problem I'm had, I was told that my 60CSx should be updated to NT which is designed for it, not the standard version. I almost made the error of updating to the standard version.

This is correct, the NT version according to Garmin will fit on a 1gb card as well, Ijust ordered the NT version, cannot wait to see how it works, I have a 2gb card so that should leave alot of room for topo and such.

During a conversation with a Garmin rep about an unlock problem I'm had, I was told that my 60CSx should be updated to NT which is designed for it, not the standard version. I almost made the error of updating to the standard version.

This is correct, the NT version according to Garmin will fit on a 1gb card as well, Ijust ordered the NT version, cannot wait to see how it works, I have a 2gb card so that should leave alot of room for topo and such.

All of this is quite true; however, your 60CSx will operate exactly the same with the non-NT version of CN as with the NT version. The only difference is that with the NT version, you'll be able to squeeze more map real estate into the unit per MB of storage space.

I mention this in case anyone gets the impression from this thread that they made a terrible mistake by getting "plain old" CN already. You'll be able to do everything, just as well, with the non-NT edition as with NT (not counting loading the entire continental USA into one 1GB card :o ).

--Larry

I just got a 76csx and CN8 about 2 weeks ago. I contacted Garmin about the NT version for the gps...I was told that it was only for the vehicle units. I know there is a drop down box with this gps in it..but this is what I was told. Until someone buys it and puts it on one of these, due to conflicting statements, I would not buy it.

Well, this is strange, as the 60CSx is not mentioned in the list of compatble GPSRs in the NT version:

"This update is for the StreetPilot c320/c330/c340, i2/i3, Quest 2, 2720/2730, 7200/7500, iQue 3000 and nuvi."

Also, the non NT version spec says:

This Update is NOT for NT units! [Whatever those are - is the CSx an NT unit?]

But, if CN8 NT fits on a 1 gig card, that would be great. Using about 984 MB I get "only" most of the east half of the US. I'd love to fit it all on one card.

BUT, will CN8 NT work on a 60CS? Would it work even better than CN8 non-NT? I mean are the map segments smaller so I can fine tune what is covered with my 56 meg?

Also, I already ordered the DVD for CN8 non-NT. It has not come yet. Think I can get CN8 NT too and then unlock just it? Is CN8 NT an upgrade from CS ver 7? I know CN8 non-NT is an upgrade from CS ver 7.

Well, this is strange, as the 60CSx is not mentioned in the list of compatble GPSRs in the NT version:

"This update is for the StreetPilot c320/c330/c340, i2/i3, Quest 2, 2720/2730, 7200/7500, iQue 3000 and nuvi."

Also, the non NT version spec says:

This Update is NOT for NT units! [Whatever those are - is the CSx an NT unit?]

But, if CN8 NT fits on a 1 gig card, that would be great. Using about 984 MB I get "only" most of the east half of the US. I'd love to fit it all on one card.

BUT, will CN8 NT work on a 60CS? Would it work even better than CN8 non-NT? I mean are the map segments smaller so I can fine tune what is covered with my 56 meg?

Also, I already ordered the DVD for CN8 non-NT. It has not come yet. Think I can get CN8 NT too and then unlock just it? Is CN8 NT an upgrade from CS ver 7? I know CN8 non-NT is an upgrade from CS ver 7.

Thats my thoughts exactly, thats why ordered the non NT version based on the description stating that NT is only for the models specified above. Why didn't they say it is for the x models as well. Odd, I ordered the non NT version and it did not come in yet. Maybe I'll have to call Garmin and see what they say about this. Thanks for the heads up.

I have a SP2610 & a 60CSx, I ordered the non-NT upgrade version 8 (have not received it yet). I did not understand what the NT version was at the time. Did I make an error in the sense that it probably would have been smarter to order the NT version? I wonder if I can change my order?

Looks like it should run on both units?

Thoughts?

~CMT

I have a SP2610 & a 60CSx, I ordered the non-NT upgrade version 8 (have not received it yet). I did not understand what the NT version was at the time. Did I make an error in the sense that it probably would have been smarter to order the NT version? I wonder if I can change my order?

Looks like it should run on both units?

NT is not an option for your 2610.

I'd go with NT-not in your case and just stay on that pony. I'd then drop a big CF card in the SP and not worry too much about the ability to hold infinite maps in the handheld.

One thing that was mentioned last week on a discussion about NT was that using a compressed format will slow down your gpsr. Will this be something to consider or will it be barely noticeable, if true?

This is exactly what I would like to know. I am blessed and lucky to be in a position in life to afford two 1GB microSD cards. I would definitely buy more memory instead of slowing down my GPSr....if that is truly the case.

Thanks for the info,

I had a 2GB SD card in the 2610, that is not too much of an issue, I was more thinking on my 60CSx, that has a 512mb microSD. But, I fixed that issue, just bought a 2Gb microSD card from Verizon, $99 - 25%=$75, so space is not a real issue anymore on the 60CSx.

Now I am just waiting for my V8 upgrade to get here!

~CMT

Guys, Garmin has written me twice saying the NT version works fine on the X series and the 76CX is listed as an NT compatible unit. The NT software on DVD states that it is NOT for units with pre-loaded NT maps so by process of elimination that leaves NT compatible units that don't come pre-loaded..IE the CX series.

What GPS is compatible with City Navigator NT+ v8 ?

All this works with NT maps.

-StreetPilot

*c310 c320 c330 c340 c510 c550

-Nûvi

*300 310 350 360

-GPSMap

*276C (with latest firmware)

*76Cx 76CSx

*60Cx 60CSx

-eTrex

*Legend Cx

*Vista Cx

*Venture Cx

-Quest 2

-zümo 550

I've been using CN8 NT for over a month now on my 60Cx with no real problems. I bought a C320 for my wife and used the second unlock for my new Cx

That said, I first loaded all of the lower 48 and it worked well but was a little slow searching for POIs, reloaded only Texas, surrounding states, New York, Calif., and Fla, seems a little faster.

I still have a little problem with the Map Install program they included with CN8, why not use Map Source like in the past? I suspect it was to make it easier for novice users (the c320 buyer) to load maps.

Works well enough for me.

OK, so say I believe that CN NT ver 8 works with the 60CSx. Am I correct that this means the whole US will fit on my 1 gig card? And, will it work on my 60CS, even though there is that 56 meg limit? I'd really like something that works on both the 60CS and the 60CSx that is updated beyong CS ver 7 (which is what I now have).

OK, so say I believe that CN NT ver 8 works with the 60CSx. Am I correct that this means the whole US will fit on my 1 gig card? And, will it work on my 60CS, even though there is that 56 meg limit? I'd really like something that works on both the 60CS and the 60CSx that is updated beyong CS ver 7 (which is what I now have).

It should fit on 1GB card. City Navigator North Ameria v8 NT taks 946.6MB

As I listed above, 60CS is not listed, and do not support NT maps.

You should select City Navigator North America v8 (standard and not the NT)

It would work on both your units, and I do not see that you need all maps on you GPS at all times.

You can also get a 2GB card and it will fit the standard version.

CS is rebleced by CN.

The NT version has the same maps as the non-NT version. The only difference is that they are compressed differently on the NT version. The entire U.S. will fit onto a 1GB card using the NT version. The entire U.S. will NOT fit on a 1GB card using the non-NT version. BOTH versions will work just fine on your Cx unit. You don't "need" the NT version but it will work on specific units.

Garmin lists the following "x" units as being compatible with the NT version:

eTrex Venture Cx

eTrex Vista Cx

GPSMAP 60Cx

GPSMAP 60CSx

GPSMAP 76Cx

GPSMAP 76CSx