Rude Cachers

I am new to caching, but have noticed that there is another new cacher who has become EXTREMELLY active and has now decided he is an expert. What I've noted is that he is unbelievably rude to some of the other cachers. Is there something that can be said/done? There are some of us that are just in it for the fun. :D

I am new to caching, but have noticed that there is another new cacher who has become EXTREMELLY active and has now decided he is an expert. What I've noted is that he is unbelievably rude to some of the other cachers. Is there something that can be said/done? There are some of us that are just in it for the fun. :D

Don't interact with him.

We have tried. He has saturated the area with micros, which in the past he has referred to as microtrash and that they aren't worth anything. Another friend of mine and I have boycotted his caches, just because of his arrogance, but it is just annoying to see how rude he is to some of these other people who have been around caching for a LONG time. I feel bad for them.

If his micros are truly not good caches, not just because in your opinion they are not good, but because they are not being maintained, start giving them an SBA log. It will catch the attention of a reviewer. If the review sees that mass caches are being placed and not maintained, future caches from this person my not be approved until current issues are resolved.

or

Ignore him and forget about. If he is mean to people, people will stop playing with him, he will get bored, and go away.

or

Contact the cacher and bring the issues to the table. Tell him what you see the problem is from your point of view. Work towards a resolution. Become the hero of your block.

The worst thing you can do to self proclaimed experts (who are usually vested in the value of their own opinions...) is to neither care for, use, or value their advice.

That doesn't take much effort.

If you do want to spend a little effort, then make fun of them and have fun doing it. Place the Anti Microcache series. Proclaim loudly in your logs what a wonderful cache is that they slammed in their logs. For every thing they do be ready with a riposte. Have fun.

I am new to caching, but have noticed that there is another new cacher who has become EXTREMELLY active and has now decided he is an expert. What I've noted is that he is unbelievably rude to some of the other cachers. Is there something that can be said/done? There are some of us that are just in it for the fun. :o

Do you happen to know any of the cachers he has targeted? I personally would contact them and let them know they aren't alone. Some people might choose to leave geocaching to get away from him, others will lash out in defense. It's always easier to handle when you know you aren't in it by yourself.

I agree with RK, ignoring it usually the best thing but if necessary there are ways to give an opposing opinion without direct confrontation. Counter logs for example.

One of my life rules is to never argue with crazy people.

If his micros are truly not good caches, not just because in your opinion they are not good, but because they are not being maintained, start giving them an SBA log. It will catch the attention of a reviewer. If the review sees that mass caches are being placed and not maintained, future caches from this person my not be approved until current issues are resolved.

or

Ignore him and forget about. If he is mean to people, people will stop playing with him, he will get bored, and go away.

or

Contact the cacher and bring the issues to the table. Tell him what you see the problem is from your point of view. Work towards a resolution. Become the hero of your block.

or

Become a cache critic. Make a two bookmark lists and set them as public. On one list put all the outstanding caches you have found. On the other out all the subpar caches that you have found. Finally, don't forget to add your critique of each cache on the bookmark list pages.

Well, maybe it could be worse. CLICK HERE

Edit: Fixed link

I had to glance at Fearsum4sum's location to make sure that it wasn't the same person.

I did the same thing.

DERRR! Me too. Even before scrolling down, I clicked the OP's profile. :D

Oh C'mon. Pushkin's OK

Correction, Pushkid will be OK if he takes today's life lesson to heart. :D There's always therapy if that fails. :o

Edited by Snoogans
Well, maybe it could be worse. CLICK HERE

Edit: Fixed link

I had to glance at Fearsum4sum's location to make sure that it wasn't the same person.

I did the same thing.

DERRR! Me too. Even before scrolling down, I clicked the OP's profile. :D

Oh C'mon. Pushkin's OK

Correction, Pushkid will be OK if he takes today's life lesson to heart. :D There's always therapy if that fails. :o

The day I take the opinion of someone with 30 archived 1 star micro caches seriously is the day the Leafs win the Stanley Cup.

Putting a reverse spin on PK's look on life-will he take me seriously since the Hurricanes did win the Stanley Cup this past year?

In case he's looking-stop taking yourself so seriously. :D

Sbells cache's aren't that bad-I found a few of them, and a few others as well.

What were we talking about again? :D

Thanks guys/gals for all the help. Does make me feel better that I'm not the only one around going through this. And yes, I have decided that it could definitely be worse! LOL I could be married to the guy!!! :grin: Anyway, I appreciate all the help in this. I have a few ideas now on how to deal with this guy and have received responses from some other cachers in my area, who know what's going on. So, I'm off to try to figure out my GPS....again....don't laugh, I told you I was new at this. Thanks again. :)

... Contact the cacher and bring the issues to the table. Tell him what you see the problem is from your point of view. Work towards a resolution. Become the hero of your block.

If that doesn't work try one of these

HunterLabeledsm.jpg

Well, no, maybe not, but sometimes the idea is appealing! :)

Very funny Rambler, but you should be careful, this is redneck country, not that that's bad, but you never know what I've got in my closet, LOL :grin:

I think what Fearsum's point of view is, same as mine - as we are talking abour the same fellow, this guy has laid out many caches of his own, and in the same fashion/style/manner as the ones he has slammed in logs. Pot and Kettle syndrome...then he has the nerve to (nastier than us girls can do no less!) rip a very well-respected/liked/long-time cacher, when he really has no grounds to do so.

Why? I am not sure...

Best thing to do with self-proclaimed experts?

Laugh at them.

If they make a comment towards you, or give you some advice, laugh your a** off at their expense, then wander off ignoring them and muttering something along the lines of "@#cking loser" type of deal.

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that pompous jack#@$'s REALLY hate being belittled when they're trying to be... well... pompous. What are they gonna do, scream at you? Oh no. They're just making themselves look worse, and giving you more opportunity to laugh at their expense. They take a swing at you... well, this guy seems to be fairly well known... so as long as there's any sort of witness around, you can claim assault with the local police. Problem solved with acceptable losses in my opinion :(

Best thing to do with self-proclaimed experts?

Laugh at them.

If they make a comment towards you, or give you some advice, laugh your a** off at their expense, then wander off ignoring them and muttering something along the lines of "@#cking loser" type of deal.

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that pompous jack#@$'s REALLY hate being belittled when they're trying to be... well... pompous. What are they gonna do, scream at you? Oh no. They're just making themselves look worse, and giving you more opportunity to laugh at their expense. They take a swing at you... well, this guy seems to be fairly well known... so as long as there's any sort of witness around, you can claim assault with the local police. Problem solved with acceptable losses in my opinion :(

Yep, a broken jaw hurts a lot less if the breaker spends 2 hours in jail and pays a $50 fine!

Uh, if you KNOW somebody's unstable, don't provoke them!

Funny stuff here. I would not remove any of the offending caches however. Go out and find all the caches, and pee in them. That should get them removed or ignored rather quickly, or rehide them in a lovely pile of dung. If that doesn't work than try Ramblers sugestion. We have a person here who is not widely liked due to his attitude, we just laugh at him at events. I think this is the reason Jeremy included the ignore button.

To be ABOVE his actions will indeed require that we behave in an adult manner - unlike how he has. No matter how much he irritates or insults. Purposeful abscence from finding his caches or anything else he is involved in will "speak volumes" with tact.

Tact; noun That pointy implement with which one uses to hang a diploma on the wall.

<edited for my inability to remember coding>

Edited by Zzyzx Road

I'm not sure I'm getting the whole story here. In that way can another geocacher be rude to you?

Are we talking about meeting him on the trail while doing a find?

Are we talking about meeting him at an event?

Are we talking about the logs he leaves on your caches?

Are we talking about the notes he leaves in response to your logs on his caches?

While I'm not trying to condone rudeness by any means, I just think the question of "how do I respond" will be different depending on what exactly we're talking about by a "rude cacher"...

Funny stuff here. I would not remove any of the offending caches however. Go out and find all the caches, and pee in them. That should get them removed or ignored rather quickly, or rehide them in a lovely pile of dung. If that doesn't work than try Ramblers sugestion. We have a person here who is not widely liked due to his attitude, we just laugh at him at events. I think this is the reason Jeremy included the ignore button.

Gee, what a wonderful idea. Effectively you're advocating punishing in a most disgusting way the people who go looking for caches. Your intended "mark" would be warned and would be the LEAST likely person to find whatever you left. You need to read up on Hayduke.

I am new to caching, but have noticed that there is another new cacher who has become EXTREMELLY active and has now decided he is an expert. What I've noted is that he is unbelievably rude to some of the other cachers. Is there something that can be said/done? There are some of us that are just in it for the fun. :unsure:

Given that jerks abound, and there really isn't a thing you can do to make them unjerks, you are left to work with the one thing you CAN control - your attitudes and emotions.

If his antics upset you, perhaps the question isn't "Why is he being a jerk, and what can I do about it?"

Maybe it's "He's being a jerk, but why should I care enough to let it upset me?" <_<

I would suggest that if other people's behavior has the ability to spoil your fun you are giving them way too much power over you. :D

Yep, a broken jaw hurts a lot less if the breaker spends 2 hours in jail and pays a $50 fine!

Uh, if you KNOW somebody's unstable, don't provoke them!

Well, in that case you use common sense. If said person is big enough to break your jaw without blinking an eye, then you probably want to scale that back to just muttering and shaking your head and walking away... and essentially ignore their existance whatsoever thereafter.

Item #2 that pompous jack@#$'s hate is being utterly ignored. If they talk to you, pretend they didn't say anything, and that they simply do not exist. The safer, less-potentially-painful jerk-solver :huh:

I like the peeing on the cache idea. you know what would be better find out where he lives and T.P. his house. thats what we did back in high school to people that pissed us off. 4am about 200 rolles of T.P. and a bag of flour to get the walkway up to the house. make it look like snow in augest. man thats some fun stuff.

Thanks guys/gals for all the help. Does make me feel better that I'm not the only one around going through this. And yes, I have decided that it could definitely be worse! LOL I could be married to the guy!!! :huh: Anyway, I appreciate all the help in this. I have a few ideas now on how to deal with this guy and have received responses from some other cachers in my area, who know what's going on. So, I'm off to try to figure out my GPS....again....don't laugh, I told you I was new at this. Thanks again. :huh:

Have to admit, I'm not a fan of micros......... but I do recogize that those who like them have an equal right to their preferences, and I'm not excited to get on anyone's bandwagon with very little actual information. Rude? How? Perhaps it's you, not him??? I was first in my area too...... that, and $1 will buy a cup of coffee.

The cacher in question is rude in his logs. He is not a seasoned veteran, nor is he a traditional "hiking" cacher. A lot of stat-madness, and an arrogance that has alienated him from an established group of veterans. It's not about the micros, but like I said before, the Pot calling the Kettle black. If you log how hate micros, dusty bushes or muddy trails, then you shouldn't make your own caches be micros, dusty bushes or muddy trails.

but it is just annoying to see how rude he is to some of these other people who have been around caching for a LONG time. I feel bad for them.

First, in reqards to your question about what to do - may I suggest to do nothing? Ignore the person. Most rude people feed off the negative reaction their rudeness creates. If this is not the case, then ignoring is still good since they probably will not listen to anybody.

Now, about your concern for veteran cachers and feeling bad for them. Do not feel bad for them. If they are veteran cachers, then they can fend for themselves. Just believe me on that one. :anicute: In fact, I would bet you will probably find that they are ignoring this rude person.

Good luck.

We have just like that here in the Piney Woods of Texas. I just taunt him like a string and a cat. Others have placed caches that make fun of him and he doesn't realize it. He thinks everyone around here is glorifying him and we're actually laughing at him. He is our entertainment when we're not caching. Good stuff, try it.

EDIT: spelling

Edited by Yamahammer

I'm not sure I'm getting the whole story here. In that way can another geocacher be rude to you?

Are we talking about meeting him on the trail while doing a find?

Are we talking about meeting him at an event?

Are we talking about the logs he leaves on your caches?

Are we talking about the notes he leaves in response to your logs on his caches?

While I'm not trying to condone rudeness by any means, I just think the question of "how do I respond" will be different depending on what exactly we're talking about by a "rude cacher"...

No, he is very "nice" when you meet him personally, but I have seen on the logs the awful comments he makes regarding the caches and then he sets out 50 of the exact same thing. I know he has sent personal messages to people, making demands regarding TBs and just blatant rude comments and I know of one personal message where he provided an analysis of the receiving cacher.

Why are you thinking of doing anything?

I doubt that he has claimed your entire area .1 miles at a time, you still have room to place caches. His rude logs will evenentually move off the page, and also 1 rude log in a list of nice ones quickly stands out as being off.

Ignore him, ignore the logs, ignore him at meetings. You are only ruining your own experience.

If you must do something, place a super cool cache in the middle of all his. See what cachers that hit the area say about yours in comparison.