A new cache placement idea

hybridgeek

Hey folks,

I'm planning to place my first cache, and have an idea that I notice is technically is against the rules for placing caches. Before I begin, the rule I'm referring to is:

Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

Now, my idea is to dig a hole into a decently steep hillside (not steep enough kids can't walk down it) deep enough for an ammo box. The hole will be deep enough that the ammo box can be slid into the passage and be completely under the hill (with the front of the box being at the very front of the opening... not like 3 feet in from the opening or anything). I will build a wooden box (without one side for the access) just large enough to put the ammo box (and have some room for it to move around), and place it into the hill to hold up the ground around the box, and prevent it from caving in. I then figure I can pile up some rocks over the entrance, or perhaps lay a log (fallen tree... not a cache log :D) across it and have a section cut out so you'd only have to move a tiny peice to actually get to the cache.

This cache would not require any tools or digging of any kind to get to it. The opening could be covered by any number of means, including a leaf blanket if stones or a log seems too much. This comes about because the area close to my house in the State Park I want to place the cache is frequented by high school skippers, delinquents, druggies, etc. The local high school backs to the woods, and often times I find high schoolers down there in the middle of the day doing [insert bad things]. I'm pretty sure they would take the contents, or scatter the contents and take the box if they found it, and would like to provide a little more security since I am going to use an ammo box (a bit more costly than a tupperware container).

I think a cache hidden like this would protect it from muggles, protect the cache itself from weather, and be easier to hide back again. This cache would possibly make it really easy to get to in the winter as well, since only the opening has to be uncovered (and the box would be cozy inside).

Let me know what you all think of this, and if you think it would be ok to do this. If so, I'll contact Groundspeak with the plan (unless someone from Groundspeak is hanging around here??).

Thanks!

Hybridgeek

Please don't do this. The rule was put in place to prevent digging to place a cache. This is because land managers don't like holes dug in land that they oversee. Because of buried caches geocaching has been banned from several public parks.

However you can probably find a natural hollow or abandoned animal hole (make sure it is abandoned) to place the cache in.

I stopped reading at "dig a hole." The "no buried caches" guideline applies to both hiding AND finding the cache.

"But are these things buried?" is always one of the first three questions I hear when talking to a land manager who's unfamiliar with geocaching. It is helpful to say "no."

Yes, you would need to contact Groundspeak. Exceptions to the "no buried caches" guideline are sometimes granted, but only after a Groundspeak representative talks to the land owner or land manager on the phone.

This cache would not require any tools or digging of any kind to get to it.

See this thread for thoughts on this way of thinking.

Let me know what you all think of this, and if you think it would be ok to do this. If so, I'll contact Groundspeak with the plan (unless someone from Groundspeak is hanging around here??).

I'm not an employee of Groundspeak, but am a volunteer for them. I notice you're in Maryland, which is my territory. First off, you'll need to get approval from the state parks prior to hiding a cache there (see the info contained in my profile for details). Second, burying a cache (read the thread linked above carefully, including my posts) is against the guidelines and I will not list it. I guess you could consider that as official a response as you're likely to get.

I do thank you for asking ahead of time, however. It would be a shame for you to have gone through all that work only to have to reverse it, and your cache be archived.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have any specific questions about hiding a cache in Maryland.

Have a nice weekend!

Quiggle :D