Newbie to Newbie advice

WW/LW/TW

Hi there...I am a newbie to GC, and hopefully so are YOU if your reading this. I am not new to Forums and wanted to post some (hopefully) helpful advice, so here goes:

<start helpful advice>

1. READ before you post. GC has lots of parts to it, and it's tempting to just ask any or every question you think of. And it seems THIS forum has a LOT of very nice and helpful folks (thanks!). But good forum etiquette says to do some reading first. I find many questions asked here are well answered by just reading the GC website or other user's posts. Start you caching experience by HUNTING your answer :wub: it's good practice.

2. From what I have gleaned, many Newbie’s (LIKE ME) want to jump in and HIDE a cache. DON'T. With my few finds, and after reading (see point 1) a lot, it seems that newbie’s who place a cache with too little experience are not well appreciated. Let's get our feet wet first, see what others have done. A more experienced GC'er told me to get about 100 finds first, and that seems like good advice.

3. Try and go to an EVENT cache and meet other's who GC. Seems like a great way to learn, and many, many of the experienced folks are willing to teach.

Overall, HAVE FUN, and don't make it too serious!

</end helpful advice>

Anyway this is my .02c as a newbie.... enjoy! :D:D:D

ww/lw/tw

Not trying to start anything but just wanted you to know that your post kinda rubbed me the wrong way...for some people (who are not real PC friendly) it is extremly fustrating trying to find a answer to their question.Now i agree reading the faq should be required but you can only read so long on a pc before boredom sets in. having a delete button would solve alot a person could delete their post after it was answered..

If someone does not like the fact that a new person has hid his first cache then it is that persons problem no one should say when how or where if you feel you have the know how and are up to it go for it that is what the reviewers are for if something is really wrong they will point it out to that person and then they can learn by doing,You got to start someplace..:D You get experience from doing not watching or reading get your GPS and get out and search that is experience.My wife told me NOT to show her anything she loved the fact that she could leran on her own by doing after all it is just the GPS and you ...you know what happens when you do nothing? Nothing....:D you go for it ..:wub:

If you have a question, ask it. Just don't get out of joint if people disagree with you.

If you want to hide a cache, hide it. Just remember that you might have missed something. Be prepared to adjust it if need be.

Go to an event, or not. Why should I care? Some people like them, others don't.

Not trying to start anything but just wanted you to know that your post kinda rubbed me the wrong way...for some people (who are not real PC friendly) it is extremly fustrating trying to find a answer to their question.Now i agree reading the faq should be required but you can only read so long on a pc before boredom sets in. having a delete button would solve alot a person could delete their post after it was answered..

If someone does not like the fact that a new person has hid his first cache then it is that persons problem no one should say when how or where if you feel you have the know how and are up to it go for it that is what the reviewers are for if something is really wrong they will point it out to that person and then they can learn by doing,You got to start someplace..:o You get experience from doing not watching or reading get your GPS and get out and search that is experience.My wife told me NOT to show her anything she loved the fact that she could leran on her own by doing after all it is just the GPS and you ...you know what happens when you do nothing? Nothing....:D you go for it ..:D

Don't worry about "starting" anything. I don't do flame wars. I know how to use the ignore feature. :D

If your got bored after reading, then perhaps this hobby is not for you. And if we use your example of EXPERIENCE from doing, then we have a big problem.

Unless of course you want me to LEARN how to perform surgey on you by doing, and not any boring reading...

Unless of course you want me to LEARN how to perform surgery on you by doing, and not any boring reading...

I'm not sure you can really equate hiding a cache to performing surgery. I've found caches that were hidden by people with over 1000 finds, and the cache was horrible, bad location, bad camouflage, bad container. I've also found caches hidden by newbies with less than 10 finds, great location, great camouflage, great container. It doesn't really matter how new you are, if you find a good spot, use common sense, and most importantly follow the guidelines (also through in a little imagination) and your hide will be fine regardless of how much experience you have.

If someone does not like the fact that a new person has hid his first cache then it is that persons problem no one should say when how or where if you feel you have the know how and are up to it go for it that is what the reviewers are for if something is really wrong they will point it out to that person and then they can learn by doing,You got to start someplace..:o You get experience from doing not watching or reading get your GPS and get out and search that is experience.My wife told me NOT to show her anything she loved the fact that she could leran on her own by doing after all it is just the GPS and you ...you know what happens when you do nothing? Nothing....:D you go for it ..:D

Don't worry about "starting" anything. I don't do flame wars. I know how to use the ignore feature. :D

If your got bored after reading, then perhaps this hobby is not for you. And if we use your example of EXPERIENCE from doing, then we have a big problem.

Unless of course you want me to LEARN how to perform surgey on you by doing, and not any boring reading...

I thought it was a bit presumptuous, but I thought nah, must be me. Then I saw your response to Idaho_Clovisman. Now I know better.

Reminds me of a scene from Hamlet.

If you have a question, ask it. Just don't get out of joint if people disagree with you.

If you want to hide a cache, hide it. Just remember that you might have missed something. Be prepared to adjust it if need be.

Go to an event, or not. Why should I care? Some people like them, others don't.

Exactly.

Especially

If you have a question, ask it.

I'm not sure you can really equate hiding a cache to performing surgery. I've found caches that were hidden by people with over 1000 finds, and the cache was horrible, bad location, bad camouflage, bad container. I've also found caches hidden by newbies with less than 10 finds, great location, great camouflage, great container. It doesn't really matter how new you are, if you find a good spot, use common sense, and most importantly follow the guidelines (also through in a little imagination) and your hide will be fine regardless of how much experience you have.

Yeh, I guess that was over the top...my apologies to Idaho_Clovisman... certainly everyone is entitled to their opinion. And I am sure your right, some people have more aptitude for things than others.

Well, I plan on waiting, reading and learning... Maybe those of you with more aptitude can give me some advice? We can all learn things...

Thanks, and enjoy!

ww/lw/tw

aptitude - inherent ability.

Experience won't cut it, eh? :D

Gosh I hope you're joking....

Yes, experience matters quite a bit, but that was my FIRST premise...

enjoy!

ww/lw/tw

EDIT: Hey Blue, If you send me a coin I will cache it- I don't see OREGON on your map :o email: ww@REMOVEdigorig.com

Edited by WW/LW/TW