City Navigator 8 NT version?

kb9nvh

So, I'm confused about this NT version of city navigator.

I see on the garmin site that the non NT version is avaliable as a direct purchase or an upgrade.

It turns out that you cant upgrade to the NT version on your second GPS so no upgrades for me I guess.

As anyone bought the NT version of city navigator yet? It looks like its the version you want as it compress's the maps better so more maps for less memory card.

Is this true and is eveyrone waiting for NT or just getting the regular version of CN8

So, I'm confused about this NT version of city navigator.

I see on the garmin site that the non NT version is avaliable as a direct purchase or an upgrade.

It turns out that you cant upgrade to the NT version on your second GPS so no upgrades for me I guess.

As anyone bought the NT version of city navigator yet? It looks like its the version you want as it compress's the maps better so more maps for less memory card.

Is this true and is eveyrone waiting for NT or just getting the regular version of CN8

I can't speak for "everyone" but I have older map products and I want to upgrade to CN8.

I had the opportunity to buy it the other day at a mapping store but passed on it because I'm waiting on NT to be available. My GPSr is compatible with the NT maps and I just don't see a point in compromising when there's something better available.

I just got a new Garmin GPSmap 76CSx. It came with CN 7.something.

Downloaded CN 8 NT last night, free. Took almost 2 hours to download, dialup at 44 Kbps. (Yawn!)

Took about an hour to send most of the East Coast to my new 1.0Gb SanDisk microSD through the included "microSD/TransFlash to SD Adapter." I did not attempt to fully load it, as it was getting late and I had trouble enough. Keep reading ...

Some of that time was consumed looking for the microSD itself after I managed to flip it out of the little case it came in onto the blue carpeted floor. Part of that time was spent moving the ever so joyful 88lb male Husky/Malemute cross out into another room before he had a chance to "help me" look for it. Then I had to listen to his complaints until I found the micro chip and got it safely in the adapter, and the adapter into my PC's SD slot.

Chip seems to work fine, readly locating cousins in Chicago, a friend in Kentucky, and my wife's alma mater in Indiana. :)

Downloaded CN 8 NT last night, free. Took almost 2 hours to download, dialup at 44 Kbps. (Yawn!)

Took about an hour to send most of the East Coast to my new 1.0Gb SanDisk microSD through the included "microSD/TransFlash to SD Adapter." I did not attempt to fully load it, as it was getting late and I had trouble enough. Keep reading ...

Some of that time was consumed looking for the microSD itself after I managed to flip it out of the little case it came in onto the blue carpeted floor. Part of that time was spent moving the ever so joyful 88lb male Husky/Malemute cross out into another room before he had a chance to "help me" look for it. Then I had to listen to his complaints until I found the micro chip and got it safely in the adapter, and the adapter into my PC's SD slot.

Chip seems to work fine, readly locating cousins in Chicago, a friend in Kentucky, and my wife's alma mater in Indiana. :)

How exactly do you download "CN 8 NT...free"? I'd be happy enough buying it but nobody seems to be able to sell it to me... if there's a downloadable upgrade I'd buy CN 7.x and upgrade it.

How exactly do you download "CN 8 NT...free"? I'd be happy enough buying it but nobody seems to be able to sell it to me... if there's a downloadable upgrade I'd buy CN 7.x and upgrade it.

City Navigator V8 NT DVD can be bought right from Garmin off their website as I did. Came this week. You have to do a search for it though....they apparently don't want to sell it to badly.

Try this:

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynavnt.jsp

Steve

SO is NT for sure work on the csx version???

City Navigator V8 NT DVD can be bought right from Garmin off their website as I did. Came this week. You have to do a search for it though....they apparently don't want to sell it to badly.

Try this:

Steve

Try this:

Steve

The upgrade version ($75) is not out yet...that's what most Garmin owners are looking for. The "First time loading" version ($139) appears to be out.

SO is NT for sure work on the csx version???

Try this:

Steve

I have it loaded on my 60CSX and it works very well! The autorouting works great.

Steve

Try this:

Steve

The upgrade version ($75) is not out yet...that's what most Garmin owners are looking for. The "First time loading" version ($139) appears to be out.

I understand. I bought mine for my 60csx which obviously did not have City Navigator pre-installed.

Steve

If someone owns a 60CSx or 76 CSx I don't think that the NT version is superior to the non-NT version. It only offers more compression. With 1GB microSD cards, I really don't need so much compression. Also, there's the issue of acquisition times being slower due to the higher compression. I have no idea if it's true, but it has proven true with different compression schemes on a PC.

I see on Garmin's site that City Navigator 8 NT DVD will ship on August 31, 2006. We'll see. I am still waiting for my non-NT version that I ordered on July 28th.

If someone owns a 60CSx or 76 CSx I don't think that the NT version is superior to the non-NT version. It only offers more compression. With 1GB microSD cards, I really don't need so much compression. Also, there's the issue of acquisition times being slower due to the higher compression. I have no idea if it's true, but it has proven true with different compression schemes on a PC.

I see on Garmin's site that City Navigator 8 NT DVD will ship on August 31, 2006. We'll see. I am still waiting for my non-NT version that I ordered on July 28th.

Dang, I got my copy of Version 8 about 4 days after I ordered it from GSPNOW. That was 7/8/06.

I thought I read on the garmin site that you were not allowed to upgrade to your second gps.

Meaning, you had an old gps with say version 4 on it...you then bought a 60csx and so loaded 4 onto it as well as your second GPS. Then you upgrade to 8 NT but you are not allowed to because your 60csx is your second gps.

Thisis the way I understood it....Am I wrong?

Try this:

Steve

I ordered the NT version , no idea how long it will take to get here, but the garmin rep told me it will all fit on a 1gb card, I have a 2gb card which should leave alot of room for topo stuff too. I sincerely doubt the aquisition times are going to be hellaciously slowed, and even if so I'm sure it will be eons faster than my gps V.

Edited by wickedsprint

I presently have City Select v7 and I was wondering if it worth to upgrade to City Navigator 8 or City Navigator 8 NT ?

Since I have 2 GPS will it be possible to register CN 8 or CN 8 NT on both of my GPS if I buy the full version not the upgrade version ?

I am wondering about the CN8 NT version over the CN8 version. Since the maps are more compress does it going to affect the redraw speed on the GPS Screen ?

I their semeone who have both version and made some test on the GPS to see if the NT version is slower to PAN and Zoom and to redraw compare to the CN8 version ? Or if their is a web site who test both the CN 8 version ?

Thanks

Is your GPS NT compatible?

I presently have City Select v7 and I was wondering if it worth to upgrade to City Navigator 8 or City Navigator 8 NT ?

Since I have 2 GPS will it be possible to register CN 8 or CN 8 NT on both of my GPS if I buy the full version not the upgrade version ?

I am wondering about the CN8 NT version over the CN8 version. Since the maps are more compress does it going to affect the redraw speed on the GPS Screen ?

I their semeone who have both version and made some test on the GPS to see if the NT version is slower to PAN and Zoom and to redraw compare to the CN8 version ? Or if their is a web site who test both the CN 8 version ?

Thanks

What GPS is compatible with City Navigator NT+ v8

-StreetPilot

*c310 c320 c330 c340 c510 c550

-Nûvi

*300 310 350 360

-GPSMap

*276C (with latest firmware)

*76Cx 76CSx

*60Cx 60CSx

-eTrex

*Legend Cx

*Vista Cx

*Venture Cx

-Quest 2

-zümo 550

Thanks

That is what I am concerned with. I wonder if NT will draw slower becasue of the compression. I would much rather get another microSD card then have the screen draw any slower. If it is slower, I am sure that it won't be A LOT slower.

From Garmin's site, I unserstood that an update DVD would only apply to your first GPS unit and not your second. I could be wrong, but that's the way I understood their complicated licensing program. :anitongue:

For all those worried about having to buy an upgrade for your existing unit(only x units with removable memory), instead of just using your second license.....dont be. As I found in my previous thread, I was able to update my Nuvi, which Garmin says cannot be updated by anything but the upgrade mapset, by using the unlock wizard, manually inputting my serial number and transferring the maps to the SD card. Worked like a champ. I am even able to maintain the CNNT v7 that came preloaded as a basemap and run the two silmutaneously!! Again this ONLY works with the "x" units that have removable memory. Or the Vehicle units with an SD card slot.

Edited by Fhantazm