Raccoons

rbrugman

I have a multi, and I am beginning to think that there is a raccoon visiting the same place as one of my stages (a hollow tree). The area inside the tree is very small, and when I placed it there during the day there was nothing there. Nothing there when I checked on it the first time either. The second (and now third) times though, the stage container has been pushed out of the tree, either by whoever looked for it last or by an animal. Any suggestions? I could move the cache or I could return with a mesh bag full of moth balls to keep the animals out. I don't actually think anything lives there, I just think something may go in every so often. I went back to check on it today in the dark and there were five raccoons standing around the tree but I dont think the area is big enough for any of those beasts.

Thanks,

Robert

Sure you don't have anypeanut butter, or sardines in the stage container? Positive??Lol!

I was actually worried that the place we recently hid a cache could be the home of a critter. We checked carefully. We looked on the ground for droppings, gently prodded the log with a long stick and listened closely. We did this on several trips to the area, while rechecking coords. The clincher that it was safe to assume the lair was empty was that Moxie didn't start sniffing like crazy at any point while in the area.

As to your problem... you already know that it is a raccoon hang-out. The site you have is probably one they've used for foraging before. Perhaps they've had luck finding beetles or something there in the past. Now there's this annoying container in their way! :D

I would consider rehiding the stage somewhere nearby. Good beetle foraging holes are probably hard to come by, or else they wouldn't be so desperate to keep ousting your stage! :D

I have to agree with those that suggest moving the stage. Nature has a hard enough time dealing with us taking thier habitats for new exclusive luxury ammenity communities and new places to shop convienently located to said community. In the end geocaching is just a game but that tree is appearently important to the local wildlife. Let them have it and we can 'find' plenty of other places to play.

Now, if the racoons had thier own GBPSr (Global Beetle Positioning System) I'd say they were on thier own.

Edited by IGJoe

You have me convinced. I'll head back today with my cache repair kit and laptop and get the stage moved. There is an event cache about .25 miles from my cache tomorrow so I need to make sure everything is in working order.

More work but better for those critters and maybe I can prevent them from eating a fellow cacher looking for the stage.

Robert

I have a multi, and I am beginning to think that there is a raccoon visiting the same place as one of my stages (a hollow tree). The area inside the tree is very small, and when I placed it there during the day there was nothing there. Nothing there when I checked on it the first time either. The second (and now third) times though, the stage container has been pushed out of the tree, either by whoever looked for it last or by an animal. Any suggestions? I could move the cache or I could return with a mesh bag full of moth balls to keep the animals out. I don't actually think anything lives there, I just think something may go in every so often. I went back to check on it today in the dark and there were five raccoons standing around the tree but I dont think the area is big enough for any of those beasts.

Thanks,

Robert

Just because the hole is small, doesn't mean that a raccoon can't get in. I once saw a 25 pound male go through a hole 2 1/2 inches in diameter. If they can get their head through, the rest will follow. I go with the others, move the cache.

he would probably suggest an alternative that didn't involve mothballing the raccoons or screwing an eye hook into the tree.

An alternative to harming animals or the environment would be good.

You could always move that stage.

I was thinking the same thing. Moving it might help.

****quotes are screwy lately*****

couldn't resist helping these two keep in touch

Edited by GeoBain

Thanks,

Robert

Just because the hole is small, doesn't mean that a raccoon can't get in. I once saw a 25 pound male go through a hole 2 1/2 inches in diameter. If they can get their head through, the rest will follow. I go with the others, move the cache.

Either he made the hole bigger as he went through, or he came out looking like a weasel. A 25lb raccoon's skull is a bit over 2.5" in diameter... but yes they will squeeze through a surprisingly small opening.