Ammo Cans - Where not Why

SG-MIN

This is not a debate on ammo cans being better than other containers. Instead here is my question:

Where do you all get yours?

In my area there is not a good army surplus store, so I have to go to another source. I found a good deal with 3 (30 cal, 50 cal, SAW) on Ebay. It ended up costing me $20 after shipping.

Is there a cheaper place on the internet?

It depends how much of a hurry I'm in. If I need one, "right now!", I'll go pay $5 for a 30cal at a local surplus store. If I'm not in a hurry, I order online at Army Surplus Warehouse, Cheaper Than Dirt, Sportsman's Guide, Major Surplus & Survival, Cabelas and sometimes, GSA Auctions. There doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency in pricing, so I just poke around all these till I find the best bargain, after shipping.

Seems this is one of the few things we get in Alaska cheaper than we see folks paying down in the lower contiguous states... our local GI surplus outlet has 30 cal for $2 and 50 cal for $3 if you watch for when he's made his big buy every second month...; otherwise they might run a dollar more. Helps that we have a Stryker Brigade and an Airborne Brigade up here that train vigorously (& are currently deployed). Nearby high ammo consumption directly correlates to lower-priced ammo cans.

I use a product from the retail chain Academy Sports, a Dry Box found in their hunting section.

It costs $8., is larger than most ammo cans, is made of high-impact rigid plastic, has a waterproof rubber seal, comes in green, camo or hunter orange, has a compartment and sealed bag under the lid for paper items... in short, the perfect geocache container!

I have had some out for years, they are like brand-new. I give them away at events and everyone seems to like them.

Here's a link to the MTM Sportsman Dry Box.

Here is the exact model I use, note the price... I pay $8. for them at Academy Sports but they don't mail-order stuff I don't think - maybe you're lucky enough to have them in your state! Store Locator

Ed

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Hey SG-Min, I know of a place. It might be a little far for you but do you know where Browder is? There is a little army surplus store there run by a friendly old man. You can get the cans cheap, $3-$8 depending on size. Let me know and I'll give you his number and try to find his coords.

Woohoo! This gives me an idee! I will take ten ammo boxes to an accessible but out of the way location, make one a geocache and the other nine trades for finders!

They leave a trinket, take a container, my cache gets stocked and nine new traditionals get hidden in my area! Yahoo!

Sort of a seed cache for ammo cans instead of micros!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler
Woohoo! This gives me an idee! I will take ten ammo boxes to an accessible but out of the way location, make one a geocache and the other nine trades for finders!

They leave a trinket, take a container, my cache gets stocked and nine new traditionals get hidden in my area! Yahoo!

I am digging that. Plus you can get ammo cans cheap in bulk!!

I did that. It wasn't an official cache, but I hid a dozen bozes and sent the coords to a bunch of locals. Odd thing was that when I went back a few months later there were still 4 boxes left. Go figure.

The best deal I got was 5 of the 30cal cans for $10 at a local surplus store. They are $3 each there now. The 50cal ones are $5 each. A gun show had like new ones in 3-packs of 30cal for $13 and 3 packs of 50cal for $14. Other sellers had cans in worse condition for less. The gun show had an admission fee, but you can pick up discounted ammo and other things. I have given away several after camo painting. I like the idea of hiding several at a cache site. Going to do this on one of mine soon.

I had located a source for the 30cal ($2) in Radcliff KY in May but they closed 15 min before I got there so I hope they still have them Aug 22 when I go back to Louisville, I will buy all I can at the time. All of the surplus stores from ETown to Ft. Knox had 50cal in may but I did not get a price. The gun stores around here have them operatically but the ones left in Paducah the last time I looked were all real rough for $3 to $5.

GEO.JOE