where are the reviewers?

graska

The 72 hours to have a cache reviewed and approved is not set in stone. You have to realize that the reviewers are just volunteers and have other jobs, family. They may be on vacation. Any how it could take a lot longer than 72 hours depending on the type and complexity of the hide. Patience(spell check) and they will get to it eventually. If there is a problem with the hide, they will contact you.

pfft I waited over a week one time for a cache to get posted. The thing that ticked me off is in the same amount of time I placed caches after that one and they were approved. As a matter of fact I made 4 listings at ther same time and within 5 min 3 were approved but it took a week before the 4th one was. Another thing that ticked me off is that one reviewer would not even bother replying to my emails and another one I contacted said he didn't want to deal with it since the other reviewer looked at it first.

pfft I waited over a week one time for a cache to get posted. The thing that ticked me off is in the same amount of time I placed caches after that one and they were approved. As a matter of fact I made 4 listings at ther same time and within 5 min 3 were approved but it took a week before the 4th one was. Another thing that ticked me off is that one reviewer would not even bother replying to my emails and another one I contacted said he didn't want to deal with it since the other reviewer looked at it first.

Sometimes volunteers take vacations - or get interrupted - or - or - or...

Although I'm surprised that there was THAT much of a delay.

where would one find out how many reviewers his state has and how he could pitch in ..or help in some way??

The official stand about reviewers and who does what and where is that Groundspeak can't even keep track of it so we cachers shouldn't bother to try either.

In Idaho over time I have seen:

Mtn-Man

Moun10bike

OReviewer

Utah-Admin

Mt Fellwalker

There may be more, plus some of those don't revew here anymore. As for pitching in and helping it's a case of being an active cacher and if they need another reviewer the present ones seem to nominate new ones for the post. Thus if you do good things and get noticed you have a chance. Volunteering to do the job by itself isn't what gets you the job.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Sometimes volunteers take vacations - or get interrupted - or - or - or...

Although I'm surprised that there was THAT much of a delay.

The caches were submitted over the July 4th holiday week. I know that the reviewer for Team Dubbins' area was just a tad busy at that time, as one of the two primary organizers of the very successful week-long Midwest Geobash.

It is also common for reviewers to decline requests to step in and speed things up. They may not be privy to e-mail correspondence that has already taken place, or some local issue that is causing the primary reviewer to hold up publication.

Edited by The Leprechauns

where would one find out how many reviewers his state has and how he could pitch in ..or help in some way??

The official stand about reviewers and who does what and where is that Groundspeak can't even keep track of it so we cachers shouldn't bother to try either.

Mtn-Man

Moun10bike

OReviewer

Utah-Admin

Mt Fellwalker

There may be more, plus some of those don't revew here anymore. As for pitching in and helping it's a case of being an active cacher and if they need another reviewer the present ones seem to nominate new ones for the post. Thus if you do good things and get noticed you have a chance. Volunteering to do the job by itself isn't what gets you the job.

We added a reviewer in our area recently, and I agree that a mere desire to volunteer isn't what Groundspeak is looking for.

The reviewer was recommended by peers (and not just nominated by another reviewer), and to this day, everyone has agreed that it was a great choice - a very dedicated cacher who doesn't get corrupted by find counts, and is very level-headed. :)

Hello graska,

In Wisconsin, we had 2 reviewers, WGA (Grousetales) and WGA2 (Should've Bought him a Tie) up to the start of summer. Cheese-Wiz (JThorsen) became our 3rd to help with the work load and has been doing most of the approving this summer. The past several weeks WGA2 (Tie/Brian) has been working on cleaning up all the defunct caches in the state. I suspect they have been busy with that project. I know my caches have usually gone up quite quickly in the past so they just must be busy with the cache clean up project right now.

AuntieNae

Edited by AuntieNae

Hi all,

turns out mine were on DNR land. Maybe that's what the reviewers were researching. So they sent me the link to apply for permission. The DNR had it in bold print to apply before the caches are placed, so I went out and pulled the caches and now I am waiting until my local office opens again to submit the application. Of course; due to budget cuts, they aren't open Saturdays during peak season, nor are they even open Mondays now. I work for a Fed. agency, so I know how cuts affect programs, so I'll be patient. I figured I'd better pull them though; rather then take a chance not following their rules. I think I know why this area is wide open now... nobody has the time to jump through the hoops.

Grace

Mtn-Man

Moun10bike

OReviewer

Utah-Admin

Mt Fellwalker

We added a reviewer in our area recently, and I agree that a mere desire to volunteer isn't what Groundspeak is looking for.

The reviewer was recommended by peers (and not just nominated by another reviewer), and to this day, everyone has agreed that it was a great choice - a very dedicated cacher who doesn't get corrupted by find counts, and is very level-headed. :)

Sounds like a great system and if people are in this to get a count they are missing the point LOL it is fun and it is healthy,don't ruin it by getting stressed over log counts...there are many other games you can play and be competitive in..:P

I believe some people need to compete. I introduced this hobby to a friend of mine last year, on my 3 or 4th cache. He brags constantly now about how many he has done! I have other hobbys and try to give equal time to all, yet I still feel presured to top his numbers! Isn't that silly??? So I don't bother discussing geocaching with him anymore.... saves on the aggrevation.