compare the 60cx to eTrex venture Cx

space_man

I been using the mag 315 for a long time. But figure its time to get something better. One of the main things i want is Auto routing so i can use it when i drive. Looking at the 60cx and the Venture Cx they seem to be same with the only diffrence of the antenna. For the SD card i would buy my own so i dont care if they come with it or not.

Is there a diffrence in Auto routing ??? one is better then the other???

Does the antenna makes thats much of a diffrence???

Do both of them use the WAAS system, or only the 60cx does??

What i would like to use it for

most important is Auto routing as i get lost alot lol

I would like to down load the topo map for when i go backpacking

If i can down load alot of Caches and while i drive or hike it would show me if there are any close by

It seems like more people buy the 60cx then the Venture why is that??

I would take all the help with the GPS knowledge as i want to get my self something that would work for me.

Alex

I been using the mag 315 for a long time. But figure its time to get something better. One of the main things i want is Auto routing so i can use it when i drive. Looking at the 60cx and the Venture Cx they seem to be same with the only diffrence of the antenna. For the SD card i would buy my own so i dont care if they come with it or not.

Is there a diffrence in Auto routing ??? one is better then the other???

Does the antenna makes thats much of a diffrence???

Do both of them use the WAAS system, or only the 60cx does??

What i would like to use it for

most important is Auto routing as i get lost alot lol

I would like to down load the topo map for when i go backpacking

If i can down load alot of Caches and while i drive or hike it would show me if there are any close by

It seems like more people buy the 60cx then the Venture why is that??

I would take all the help with the GPS knowledge as i want to get my self something that would work for me.

Alex

Alex

The external antenna does make a difference and they both use the WAAS system. The 60cx comes with a $50.00 rebate right now so that helps. Here is a side by side look at both:

The eTrex Vista Cx is loaded with the same popular features that were found in the eTrex Vista C, including barometric altimeter, electronic compass, sunlight-readable color and advanced GPS routing capabilities — all in a waterproof design. In addition, it comes with a blank 32 MB microSD card for storage of optional map detail. Download maps directly to the card or purchase microSD cards preloaded with MapSource® Topo and inland lake maps, BlueChart® marine cartography, and City Navigator™ street maps.

eTrex Vista Cx's features make it a mainstay among outdoor enthusiasts:

New! 32 MB microSD card for MapSource data gives you the versatility of adding highly detailed maps

Barometric altimeter provides extremely accurate elevation for hikers and climbers

Electronic compass so you can get a heading when standing still

256-color, sunlight-readable display makes it easy to distinguish map details and see where you’re going

Automatic route generation, off-route recalculation, turn-by-turn directions with alert tones, and icon-driven menus for finding points of interest (when combined with Garmin’s optional MapSource® CDs) navigate you safely to your destination

Longer battery life for more hours of outdoor enjoyment

Mini-USB port for fast, convenient download of map data from Garmin’s entire library of optional MapSource CDs using a PC

You won’t miss a thing when you take this rugged, lightweight, easy-to-use handheld out hiking, biking, boating or even geocaching.

Package Includes:

eTrex Vista® Cx

32 MB microSD card

Americas Recreational basemap

MapSource® Trip & Waypoint Manager CD

PC/USB interface cable

Wrist strap

Bike clip

Quick reference guide

Owner's manual

The GPSMAP 60Cx is a refreshing upgrade of the GPSMAP 60C, one of our most popular models for outdoor and marine use. This unit features a removable microSD card for detailed mapping memory and a waterproof, rugged housing. The microSD card slot is located inside the waterproof battery compartment. Users can load map data and transfer routes and waypoints through the unit’s fast USB connection. In addition, this unit features a new, highly sensitive GPS receiver that acquires satellites faster and lets users track their location in challenging conditions, such as heavy foliage or deep canyons.

Considered the mainstay among serious outdoor enthusiasts, the GPSMAP 60Cx offers a large color TFT display and turn-by-turn routing capability. Each unit comes with a blank 64 MB microSD card. Owners of these new x-series handhelds can also purchase new microSD cards that are pre-loaded with MapSource® Topo and inland lake maps, BlueChart® marine cartography, and City Navigator™ street maps.

GPSMAP 60Cx Features:

New high-sensitivity WAAS-capable GPS receiver by SiRF

Built-in quad-helix receiving antenna with remote antenna capability

Unit dimensions: 2.4” W x 6.1” H x 1.3” D

Display: 1.5” W x 2.2” H, 2.6”-diagonal, 256-color, transflective TFT (160 x 240 pixels)

Weight: 7.5 ounces with batteries (not included)

microSD card slot allows for storage of optional MapSource detail (64 MB microSD included)

LED backlit display and keypad

Battery life: up to 30 hours using two AA alkaline batteries

Includes a built-in Americas autoroute basemap with automatic routing capabilities, including highways, exits, and tide data (U.S. only)

Internal memory is preloaded with a marine point database

1,000 user waypoints with name and graphic symbol; 50 reversible routes

Position formats include Lat/Lon, UTM, Loran TDs, Maidenhead, MGRS, user grid, and more

Audible alarms for anchor drag, arrival, off-course, proximity waypoint, and clock

Large-numbers option for easy viewing; dual-position display mode

Trip computer provides odometer, stopped time, moving average, overall average, total time, max speed, and more

Navigation instructions can be shared with repeaters, plotters, and autopilots using NMEA protocols through the dedicated serial port.

10,000-point automatic track log; 20 saved tracks (500 points each) let you retrace your path in both directions

Built-in celestial tables for sun and moon calculations and the best times to fish and hunt

Compatible with most MapSource products including BlueChart, City Navigator, U.S. TOPO 24K, U.S. TOPO, and Recreational Lakes with Fishing Hot Spots

Water resistant: IEC 60529 IPX7 standards

Package Includes:

GPSMAP® 60Cx unit

64 MB microSD

Belt clip

USB interface cable

MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager CD

Lanyard

Owner's Manual

Quick-Start Guide

FOR A GREAT PRICE ON BOTH GO HERE: Link to owner's own web site removed by moderator :D

Edited by robertlipe

Hi there...seeing that both of the units you mentioned are Garmins, you might want to try this. Go to the Garmin website and do a product comparison. You might find it easier to just type "product "comparison in the search box. After searching click the link for outdoor product comparison and choose the 2 gps's you want to compare. This will give you a side to side comparison of the features. You may find it somewhat useful. Hope this was at least some help.

Hi there i did compare the two togher. It says that both would do the auto routing. My Q is do they use the same program. What i mean is if the Vista is just as good as the 60cx in figuring the auto routing??

Are both just as acurate ??

Why are more people seem to like the 60cx??

when i compare the two it seems like i dont get alot more for twice the price. As the ventureCX would do almost the same thing as the 60cx.

I know i ask alot of Qs. Its just that i want to buy something that is right for me.

Alex

Alex

The external antenna does make a difference and they both use the WAAS system. The 60cx comes with a $50.00 rebate right now so that helps. Here is a side by side look at both:

The eTrex Vista Cx is loaded with the same popular features that were found in the eTrex Vista C, including barometric altimeter, electronic compass, sunlight-readable color and advanced GPS routing capabilities — all in a waterproof design. In addition, it comes with a blank 32 MB microSD card for storage of optional map detail. Download maps directly to the card or purchase microSD cards preloaded with MapSource® Topo and inland lake maps, BlueChart® marine cartography, and City Navigator™ street maps.

You compared the 60Cx and the Vista Cx, he wanted info comparing the 60Cx and the Venture Cx. There are some pretty signifcant differences between the two, although admittedly the differences mostly don't effect what he's asking about.

Edited by CheshireFrog

You compared the 60Cx and the Vista Cx, he wanted info comparing the 60Cx and the Venture Cx.

True, there are differences between the 60cx and the vista cx, but there really isn't any difference between the vista cx and venture cx, other than electronic compass and barometric altitude. Well, ok, you get a lot of extra "stuff" with the vista versus the venture, like a microsd card, a bike mount, etc.

Comparing the VistaCX vs the VentureCx "stuff"

Venture Package

---------------------

eTrex Venture Cx

Americas Recreational Basemap Pre-loaded

Wrist strap

Quick reference guide

Owner's manual

Vista Package

-------------------

eTrex Vista Cx

32 MB microSD card

Americas Recreational Basemap

MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager CD

PC/USB interface cable

Wrist strap

Bike clip

Quick reference guide

Owner's manual

So, a functionality comparison between the 60cx and vistacx is fairly close, keeping in mind the two diffs I mentioned.

Alex, I went for the VentureCX because I (a) already had a mini-usb cable (came with my digital camera) (B) already had a 512MB microsd card, and © didn't feel like I needed the Manager software or the strap and bike clip. As such, I figure I saved about $80 on stuff I didn't want anyway. I also, for some reason, kind of like the yellow of the venture over the vista. Go figure. :)

As for comparing the 60cx vs the vistacx, I suspect the biggest difference is the antenna. Other than that, the rest of it seems minor (at least, to me):

60cx has 1000 waypoints vs 500 for the venture

Venture has twice the battery life

60 has a slightly larger screen (1.7 x 1.3 vs 2.2 x 1.5)

60 is bigger overall

60 has an external antenna hookup

60 has tide prediction

So, if you're using it for geocaching and road navigation, it would seem to me that both would suffice; the only question is: do you want the slightly bigger screen and better antenna? And is it worth it to you for the extra cost?

-tim

I made this decision a few weeks ago (just before the $50 rebate). Remember the 60Cx has the SirfIII chip and will hold signal much better than the Venture. Search these forums and you will find a lot of discussion about the new chip.

My concern was the portability/Size of the 60Cx vs. the Venture, held them both at the local sporting goods store and there is very little difference between the two.

I bought the 60Cx and couldn't be happier.

My 2 cents.

Compare Map60Cx to Venture Cx?

No comparison. Get the 60Cx with the Sirf3 chip.

I used a Legend C (Venture Cx) in Mexico doing some cache's and it continually lost signal, both in the bus and in or near buildings. I took it instead of my Map60CS and figured that both have the same problem holding a satellite in tree cover or any cover.

I just bought the Map60Cx without the electronic compass and like it much better. With $50 rebate right now, the price becomes much more affordable. The 60Cx is definitely a step up from the Venture. Both use the same mapping program and do autorouting similarly. The screen on the 60Cx is much bigger than the Venture/Legend series. If you are autorouting in the car or bike, this is a huge difference for visibility.

Do this. Using Garmins own measurements, draw on a piece of paper the size of the screen measurements that they give and compare them. Big difference in favour of the Map60Cx. Also, I get signal stength even in my basement for a short time and this far exceeds the expectations of the smaller units. The smaller units are nice since they fit the hand better and into a bag or case better but the step up to the Map60Cx is far and away the best choice. The antenna hasn't been upgraded in the Legend/Venture series but the colour screen is definitely bonus, but still, spend a few bucks more and get the 60Cx and you won't regret it.

I went to REI today after work. Looking at both units i dicided to go with the 60cx. It just felt better in my hand and i like the larger screen for when i ride my motorcycle. I also want to get the city navigator and the topo map for hiking and backpacking. So i guess i would need to order the city NV8 and the topo map. Do i need any other software ????

Alex

I went to REI today after work. Looking at both units i dicided to go with the 60cx. It just felt better in my hand and i like the larger screen for when i ride my motorcycle. I also want to get the city navigator and the topo map for hiking and backpacking. So i guess i would need to order the city NV8 and the topo map. Do i need any other software ????

Alex

The only software you really need for day to day routing is CN8. Unless you want Topo software or you are into caching, then you might want something to use for downloading caches to your GPS otherwise you would be good to go. That's all I use. I'm not huge into caching so I usually just manually input the local cache's since that is part of the fun of caching.................besides actually finding the cache.

Since you mention that you have a motorcycle, you might check out the Garmin bicycle adaptor or even better look at RAM mounts. I actually use both kinds and have good luck with both. Though I ride a bicycle for touring as well as my car, I have both in Garmin mounts. I also converted my old Magellan mount from RAM to the Garmin 60C.. series and that should get you started. If REI do not carry the RAM mounts, check out

http://www.ram-mount.com.

Actually I've had good success with ordering from http://www.gpscity.com if you can't get them from REI.

Hi Mister

You mentioned that if i want to down load Caches to the GPS i would need another program. Which program would that be?? I would like to drive to the desert and for the GPS to show what Caches are in the area im driving. Or when i camp i could see all the Caches in my area and use the TOPO to help me get there. I hope the 60Cx would do that . I just didnt know i needed another program to do it.

Alex

Hi Mister

You mentioned that if i want to down load Caches to the GPS i would need another program. Which program would that be?? I would like to drive to the desert and for the GPS to show what Caches are in the area im driving. Or when i camp i could see all the Caches in my area and use the TOPO to help me get there. I hope the 60Cx would do that . I just didn't know i needed another program to do it.

Alex

There's two programs that are good to use with uploading caches.

Easygps: free program, great for easy management of caches, shows caches on map (white background but with the caches correctly placed in relation to each other)

GSAK: $20, the all-round greatest program for cache-management, very powerful, runs macro's etc. Well worth the bucks.

ProsperoDK/René

Between those two I would stick with the 60 series, I am not a big fan of the extrex models as they have that click stick that likes to break and to me are not as intuitive to operate as the traditional button placement garmins are...60/76/V etc. They are also snapped together and then wrapped with a rubber weather strip that is glued. I also like things easily taken apart <_<

Where is the best place to buy the 60Cx till now i found the best price at 4x4books.com . I dicided to go for the 60Cx now the program for it lol

What about the NT8 streets?? I hear everyone saying how good it is so i might as well get it now.

someone mentioned a program on the net where you can make your own topo map and down load it... is it a better way to go then getting the topo from garmin. After all i would love to save the money if i can. Can someone help me there??

Alex