3rd Party Caching Software Question

ArizonaTraveler

Hello all,

I've read some posts about paperless caching, but have not found anything (in my admittedly limited searching) that suggests a good way to take additional cache info (type, container size, terrain & difficulty levels) with you when you're on the road without having a laptop or PDA. I don't like to take my laptop with me when I'm off-roading, and I don't own a PDA.

Are there any 3rd party applications that will generate a smaller, more manageable (and less paper-hungry) list of this info? Might call it 'nearly paperless" caching. :D I prefer not to print 10 or more pages of cache lists from the website every time I go caching. I know I could narrow my cache numbers down, but it's awfully convenient to have 600 or more caches in the GPS that are along or near a given route.

Thanks for the info.

ArizonaTravler

I've read some posts about paperless caching, but have not found anything (in my admittedly limited searching) that suggests a good way to take additional cache info (type, container size, terrain & difficulty levels) with you when you're on the road without having a laptop or PDA.

All of the items you mentioned can be encoded in the cache name. For example, waypoints in my GPS are like GC4321-TR2.2+ which is the waypoint ID, cache type (Traditional), size (Regular), Difficulty level 2, and Terrain level 2½.

There are a number of apps that can do this. I won't make recommendations, since the software I use isn't available to the public.

Edited by Prime Suspect

I've read some posts about paperless caching, but have not found anything (in my admittedly limited searching) that suggests a good way to take additional cache info (type, container size, terrain & difficulty levels) with you when you're on the road without having a laptop or PDA.

All of the items you mentioned can be encoded in the cache name. For example, waypoints in my GPS are like GC4321-TR2.2+ which is the waypoint ID, cache type (Traditional), size (Regular), Difficulty level 2, and Terrain level 2½.

There are a number of apps that can do this. I won't make recommendations, since the software I use isn't available to the public.

You must be using a newer model GPS, your waypoint name is 13 characters long compared to the 8 characters I can fit in my waypoint name. I don't what kind of GPS the OP is using, but on my Meridian Gold, I can store multiple files of waypoints on the memory card. This is helpful because I think it will only hold descriptions for up to 200 caches per file. So for example if I tried to store 600+ caches as the OP suggests, only 200 of those would have detailed descriptions.

If I did want to hold lots of info in one file, I would rename the caches to names like 1 thru 600. This would use 3 characters, leaving me with 5 characters for holding other information, perhaps for type, size, difficulty, terrain, and one other attribute.

I had used gpsbabel with some switches at one time, and it created different icons for different cache types, ie. stadium for micros and grapes for multicaches. This would buy you yet another character. I have since forgotten how to work with gpsbabel's switches, but I think I have it in a batch file somewhere. I always have difficulty locating the right help files for that program. Maybe it's just that I don't wan't to have to work that hard tracking down the answers.

Although I don't use either, I understand that Spinner or Gsak can easily rename your waypoints any way you like. Not sure if any of this helps, but at least it's an option.

Edited by cachew nut

Hi Lil Devil! Since you seem to be modest, I'll tout your excellent GPX Spinner product here. Spinner will take the waypoint names in the GPX file (GC1234, GCABCD, etc.) and turn them into meaningful information, like some of the above posts have hinted at. It also changes the icon to signify the cache type. So, I can safely hunt for most traditional caches without worrying much about the cache pages. I only get tripped up on miscategorized caches or those with additional logging requirements. A regular geocaching treasure box icon tells me it's a traditional; a different icon tells me it's a traditional that may have a travel bug or geocoin in it; a third tells me it's a micro. In the cache name, I strip out the meaningless "GC" prefix, keep the cache number so that I have a unique identifier, and then add the terrain and difficulty ratings. The encrypted hint (or at least the beginning of a long-winded hint) is saved in the comments field. So, at a glance and without paper, PDA or PC, if I see a microcache icon and W1X73515 on my screen, I know when I pull up that I am looking for a fairly tricky microcache on pretty easy terrain. I focus my search to be consistent with that, and I know not to crawl under the thorn bush or down the hill into the drainage ditch. When caching in this mode, I find well over two thirds of all the caches without reading the cache page. If I get stumped, it's usually a quick trip back to the car to consult the cache page on my laptop computer. Caches with long hikes tend not to be evil hides.

and I don't own a PDA.

You can get a PDA that is adequate for geocaching on eBay for around $20. Even something with as little as 2MB will hold several PQs worth of data.

I feel stupid now... I just remembered that I have an old monochrome Palm III that's been collecting dust for a few years now. I'll have to check the memory on it and see if I can find the cradle and caching software that can handle the PQ info.

ArizonaTraveler

Hi Lil Devil! Since you seem to be modest, I'll tout your excellent GPX Spinner product here.

That's a fairly ringing endorsement. I've worked with GSAK, but haven't really sat down and played with it. I'll check out GPX Spinner as well. I have the premium membership, so that's not an issue. I would prefer to not have to rename each cache manually, so I'll have to see what batch renaming options the two have.

Thanks for the info.

ArizonaTraveler

GSAK can print very condensed forms of the cache pages. There is even an option to print a table of caches you want to find, with the info you want in each row.

Thanks Maingray, I'll take a closer look at those options. That would probably be all I'd need. I thought I saw something that allowed you to create an HTML list as well. Will have to spend more time with a couple of different apps and find the one that works best for me, then register it.

ArizonaTraveler

GSAK can print very condensed forms of the cache pages. There is even an option to print a table of caches you want to find, with the info you want in each row.

Thanks Maingray, I'll take a closer look at those options. That would probably be all I'd need. I thought I saw something that allowed you to create an HTML list as well. Will have to spend more time with a couple of different apps and find the one that works best for me, then register it.

Yes, GSAK does allow for a fully customizable table print that should suit your needs. For example, if you just wanted to see the information you requested in your OP you can set up a "view" that only shows these fields. You can then "print" this view, or generate the corresponding HTML file to copy over to your PDA. Sample:

cap230.png

I use my digital camera for paperless caching. I photograph the cache descriptions from my computer screen in the order I intend to visit them during my caching tour. When I switch the camera on in the viewing mode, it shows the newest picture and with a single button press it wraps around to show the oldest, which is the next one to find. After I have found it or aborted the search, I delete the picture so the next cache will be the oldest in sequence. Taking new pictures along the way doesn't interfere with this, as they will end up in the other end of the sequence.

This works very well. Last wednesday I found 41 caches this way on a single bike tour. This method gives me complete cache descriptions with hints and everything just like if I had printed the cache pages. Not just the type, size and rating information. In addition to this, I have the cache name, waypoint code, type, size, terrain, difficulty and travel bug inventory stored in my GPSr in the waypoint name and note fileds. On longer tours I also write a list of waypoint codes on paper in the intended search order. This takes only one sheet and allows me to look what is the next cache in the sequence without switching my camera on, so I only need the camera when I'm not able to find the cache without reading the cache description. This saves the camera battery and allows me to do longer tours.

Edited by Ville Saari

I feel stupid now... I just remembered that I have an old monochrome Palm III that's been collecting dust for a few years now. I'll have to check the memory on it and see if I can find the cradle and caching software that can handle the PQ info.

FYI, I used a Palm Pilot Professional (very very old) for a while and it worked just fine with cachemate. Could store 1000+ caches in it without an issue.