Is this actually a benchmark?

Squadtech

Hi,

Quick question. The other day I was at a national park here in VA and I found what appeared to be a benchmark type disk in the ground, but I can't find it listed anywhere.

Around the outside edge it says "US Deptartment of Interior - National Park Service"

and it has the number "850HV04002" and "Unlawful to Remove" stamped in the center.

Thanks for your help!

Herb

..did you happen to get the coords? There are thousands of benchmarks that aren't in the database that GC obtained from NGS, so you could have found one of them - If you have a pic you could upload so people here could take a look at any other add'l stamping, etc...

It may be a BM, but is also likely to be a surveyed boundary marker. The coordinate would allow one to figure that out a little better.

- jlw

..did you happen to get the coords? There are thousands of benchmarks that aren't in the database that GC obtained from NGS, so you could have found one of them - If you have a pic you could upload so people here could take a look at any other add'l stamping, etc...

Squadtech -

It looks like it could be a triangulation station. Someone, probably a surveyor, inscribed a triangle in the center which indicates a triangulation station.

In any case, you can log that in the Recovered US Benchmarks Waymarking category. There is waymark of a similar disk here, although that one is more likely a bench mark type of disk than a triangulation station disk.