Silly Garmin POI Tricks

Munin

Thanks to this thread I can load thousands of POI's at the touch of a tab in GSAK. I much prefer using POI's than waypoints. And since I can load the hints into the POI's as well, I almost never use cachemate anymore.

However, something that I haven't quite figured out yet is how child waypoints are handled. I have found that if a traditional cache has 4 child waypoints, they ALL appear on my map with a traditional cache icon. I'd like to have them as the regular reference point icon. This isn't a problem when I send them as waypoints to my GPSr, they all show up as trailhead, parking icons, etc.

Anyone else experience this?

Yes. Keep the child waypoints as a separate custom POI file, say "child.gpx", and assign a different icon of your choice with the same name, "child.bmp", and keep all them in the same folder. They will all load together and will appear as you hope to see them.

Well, it took a while but I got it figured out.

First I had to delete my database then reload the .gpx files (alternatively you could choose to clear the database when importing the .gpx files) and choosing to treat the child waypoint as a regular waypoint.

Then I did as Miragee suggested, filtering for the white "?". Then I did as Timpat suggested, putting the child.gpx and child.bmp files in my POI folder.

Even the macro I use to create the POI files works! You can check out that macro HERE

Well, it took a while but I got it figured out.

First I had to delete my database then reload the .gpx files (alternatively you could choose to clear the database when importing the .gpx files) and choosing to treat the child waypoint as a regular waypoint.

Then I did as Miragee suggested, filtering for the white "?". Then I did as Timpat suggested, putting the child.gpx and child.bmp files in my POI folder.

Even the macro I use to create the POI files works! You can check out that macro HERE

Hey, that's nice, it's my macro! I'm currently changing from waypoints to POI and I too ran in the same problem you had. I was currently trying to rewrite the macro to deal with child waypoints, but I'll try your solution first.

Unmounting the USB drive and heading to the GPSr's Find -> Custom POI section again, I find that I can now bring up the Select Database option, where I see both of my POI files listed:

select_database.pngbmark_va.png

Note that the filenames I used when renaming the "poi.gpi" file are irrelevant - Select Database names the entries the same as the source files, not the filenames on the actual microSD card. (Which is expected, since POILoader works that way even when it's combining everything into a single file.)

I tried this with my 60Cx and I still don't get a select database option.

I have two files, benchmarks.gpi and boatramps.gpi, each with one gpx loaded to it but I still don't get the select datbase option.

Also is there any way to display my custom POI's at a different (higher) view level from the built in POI's or even just selectively remove the POI's from the maps? I really don't need to know where every pizza parlor or elementary school is at and I sure don't have any use for them cluttering up my map screen.

I'm using ver 3.30 for the 60Cx firmware and an ancient 3.02 version of mapsource.

Also is there any way to display my custom POI's at a different (higher) view level from the built in POI's or even just selectively remove the POI's from the maps? I really don't need to know where every pizza parlor or elementary school is at and I sure don't have any use for them cluttering up my map screen.

I'm using ver 3.30 for the 60Cx firmware and an ancient 3.02 version of mapsource.

Hi ar_kayaker

The cluttered display since the firmware 3.2 update is a bugbear of mine too. :o

I have managed to separate the Map POI from the Custom POI by getting them to display at different zoom ranges when zooming in.

I prefer to see my Custom POI at or below the zoom range of 200m. But I only want to see Map POI when I have a special need to visit an establishment. I would actually prefer to not have Map POI show at all, except when specially desired though, pending a firmware upgrade, I will suffer them appearing at a range much below that at which I normally operate my gps.

My Custom POI display at 200m or less whilst the Map POI display at 50m or less. This is achieved by setting the following values in Map Setup. To achieve this I have Map Setup-General>Detail=Less and Map Setup-Points>Map Points=200m. There is a gotcha with this and that is that the ranges at which the various layers of map detail appear are reduced. In my case, with a topographical map, full map detail (including Map POI) is viewable at up to 50m and then the various other layers disappear as the zoom range is increased and all map detail ceases to appear at 12km.

:o I have my fingers crossed that Garmin will amend the firmware so that Custom POI have their own settings. By the way that Mapsource is way out of date. The current version is 6.12.3.

I tried this with my 60Cx and I still don't get a select database option.

I have two files, benchmarks.gpi and boatramps.gpi, each with one gpx loaded to it but I still don't get the select datbase option.

The POILoader is combining your two files into the GPS. To transfer the files separately (whether 2 or 3 or 4...), you must create a .bmp file using the same name as the .gpx file. The .bmp file will create the unique icon you want associated with that POI file; I believe you want attributes below 15 pixels. Mine is at 13 X 15. The .bmp and .gpx files must be in the same folder.

As for viewing POIs, I believe the 60s have an option to display custom POIs only. I have a VentureCx which is displays POIs differently, so, I didn't store the information about this. I think from the map page, you go to Setup Display, then ??

What I'd like to see them add is an instruction manual for how to use these new features....

Some of them are fairly intuitive or guided by the software, like uninstalling POI's, or don't require interaction of the user such as the support for magenta transparency, but some of the other features like sub-categories of POI's....

In my 60Cx I can't even seperate my POI's by database and have to search by whatever happens to be closest regardless of what I may be looking for, at least so far as I have figured out how to use.

AK

Actually, they added a ton of stuff...

Changes made from version 2.4.0.0 Beta to 2.4.0.1 Beta:

Added support for Garmin Mobile XT.

Added support for magenta as transparency color in 256 color bitmaps.

Changes made from version 2.3.2 to 2.4.0.0 Beta:

Added support for Windows Mobile devices.

Added support for uninstalling all custom POI's from a device.

Added support for subcategories of POI's.

Added support for handling individual bitmap symbols for each subcategory of POI's.

Added support for jpeg (.jpg) images that can be associated with POI's.

Added support for wave (.wav) files POI alerts.

Added support for allowing users to specify a 'Link' directory that contain POI associations, such as bitmap (.bmp) symbols, jpeg (.jpg) images, mp3 (.mp3) audio files, or wave (.wav) audio files.

Added support for contact information and address information that can be specified in a GPX (.gpx) file.

Added a command line option to POI Loader to run automatically without requiring user interaction.

Added the ability to choose POI files to ignore.

Check for validity of the drive name in the POI path.

What I'd like to see them add is an instruction manual for how to use these new features....

Some of them are fairly intuitive or guided by the software, like uninstalling POI's, or don't require interaction of the user such as the support for magenta transparency, but some of the other features like sub-categories of POI's....

In my 60Cx I can't even seperate my POI's by database and have to search by whatever happens to be closest regardless of what I may be looking for, at least so far as I have figured out how to use.

AK

Changes made from version 2.3.2 to 2.4.0.0 Beta:

Added support for Windows Mobile devices.

Added support for uninstalling all custom POI's from a device.

Added support for subcategories of POI's.

Added support for handling individual bitmap symbols for each subcategory of POI's.

Added support for jpeg (.jpg) images that can be associated with POI's.

Added support for wave (.wav) files POI alerts.

Added support for allowing users to specify a 'Link' directory that contain POI associations, such as bitmap (.bmp) symbols, jpeg (.jpg) images, mp3 (.mp3) audio files, or wave (.wav) audio files.

Added support for contact information and address information that can be specified in a GPX (.gpx) file.

Added a command line option to POI Loader to run automatically without requiring user interaction.

Added the ability to choose POI files to ignore.

Check for validity of the drive name in the POI path.

Did you try clicking help on the opening screen? The tour guide files look interesting. Maybe a Garmin only voice guided cache??

If this has already been explained I missed it.

Prior to last weekend using the info provided I was able to load the poi's into the Map60CSx with no trouble. Got that.

I went to the .bmp files for the custom icons and picked two and named them same as the two .gpx files. Yet, I still don't see any of my custom poi's on the map screen unless I choose to find and navigate to it. It shows as a blue dot. Am I missing that they don't show up like the typical geocache? or do they and I am still missing something in getting them in there labeled correctly?

A step by step FAQ for us for-dummy-types would be greatly appreciated. Some of this intiutive stuff takes some cramming into the cranium.

That unmount the drive part I was able to work around by simply removing the card and placing it in a card reader. Worked for me.

Edited by Rick618

Has someone come up with a GSAK macro that creates individual .gpx files for different cache types? That way a .bmp could be created for each cache type. Further dividing it by found caches would be even better...

Have you checked out ProsperoDK's GarminCsvPoiExport.txt which exports all caches to Garmin POI files, one file for each cache and child-type? I think it can do all your require.

I would like to come back on the 50 neareast caches only showing.

Gask andPoiLoader are telling me they transfered 162.

When I go to custom POI it only shows me 50 and if I change dbase it is the same.

Tanks for your help!

J'aimerais revenir sur le fait que seulement les 50 caches les + proches s"affiche.

Gsak et Poiloader me disent tous les deux que 162 waypoints sont loader.

Quand je vais dans POI Personnel, j'en ai que 50 et même chose si je vais dans une autre base de données

Merci à l'avance pour votre aide!

Edited by Techno4

I would like to come back on the 50 neareast caches only showing.

Gask andPoiLoader are telling me they transfered 162.

When I go to custom POI it only shows me 50 and if I change dbase it is the same.

Tanks for your help!

With both POI's and waypoints if you set the GPSr to show nearest it will at most only show the 50 nearest.

But if you search by name I think you will see that all 162 POI's was transfered.

As an aside I think it's a great boost to see other people recommend my macro from the GSAK macro library, thanks BaldEd :tired:

/René

In the menu I only have 3 possibilities

1- Nearest containing - It's also showing only 50 caches

2- Select database

3- Change reference

Where would I go to for search by name.

My 76CSX displays the same 3 options and only the nearest 50 Custom POI, regardless of whether I select either ALL or just ONE database. If I select, say, a database containing Custom POI in another state then it will list only the nearest 50 Custom POI in that state which are closest to my current position. :tired:

However, if I want to select a Custom POI further afield in that other state, I have found that

1. After selecting that state's database and pressing ENTER,

2. the nearest 50 Custom POI in that database (to my current position) are displayed

3. If you then press MENU, then

4. select "Nearest containing" and press ENTER you are then given the option of entering a Custom POI name.

5. As you commence typing in the name of the Custom POI a list of Custom POI containing the letters you have typed appear. The Custom POI you are seeking will eventually appear in that list the more letters you type.

6. Once you see your target Custom POI in the list, stop entering any more letters and just select "OK" in the middle of the alpha table.

7. Scroll down the displayed list to your target Custom POI and press enter.

8. You can now show on your map or goto your target Custom POI. :D

I just have to remember all that now. :huh:

Edited by BaldEd

My 76CSX displays the same 3 options and only the nearest 50 Custom POI, regardless of whether I select either ALL or just ONE database. If I select, say, a database containing Custom POI in another state then it will list only the nearest 50 Custom POI in that state which are closest to my current position. :anibad:

Instead of searching in reference to your current position you can pan on the map or search for a city name in the area you are interested in and then press map instead of goto.

Now when you press find waypoint or find custom POI it searches in reference to where your map arrow is located not in reference to where the GPSr says you are currently located.

/René

Instead of searching in reference to your current position you can pan on the map or search for a city name in the area you are interested in and then press map instead of goto.

Yes, I was aware of that. I just mentioned the above method as a workaround method that Techno4 could use.

I am using POI Loader version 2.4.1, released April 25, 2007 on a 60CSx and the magenta background is still showing up on my custom POI .bmp backgrounds on the GPSr. Does anyone know if the 2.4.1 version is suppose to make the magenta background transparent? I would think that it is suppose to since the earlier 2.4.0.1 Beta version is suppose to? Just wondering if I have a problem with my .bmp? Thanks.

I am using POI Loader version 2.4.1, released April 25, 2007 on a 60CSx and the magenta background is still showing up on my custom POI .bmp backgrounds on the GPSr. Does anyone know if the 2.4.1 version is suppose to make the magenta background transparent? I would think that it is suppose to since the earlier 2.4.0.1 Beta version is suppose to? Just wondering if I have a problem with my .bmp? Thanks.

This had gotten so far down in the threads that I wanted to ask again if anyone knows if v2.4.1 is suppose to have a magenta background as transparent? Thanks

Does this actually require POILoader?

I'm wondering mainly because A) I'm not very impressed with POILoader, and :laughing: as a Mac user, I've been using LoadMyTracks for adding/extracting waypoints/tracks. Although LoadMyTracks doesn't seem to add anything to a Garmin/poi directory.

Am I able to take a mass .loc or .gpx file and manually throw it there (using USB Storage Mode) and get the same results?

This had gotten so far down in the threads that I wanted to ask again if anyone knows if v2.4.1 is suppose to have a magenta background as transparent? Thanks

I'm using v2.4.1 and it does in fact make my magenta background transparent on my Map60Cx. The R,G,B should be 255,0,255.

I'm using v2.4.1 and it does in fact make my magenta background transparent on my Map60Cx. The R,G,B should be 255,0,255.

Thanks Timpat

Any suggestions for what to look at on my .bmp file to determine what the problem may be? I am using magenta as the background color and have checked it's RGB values and they are 255, 0, 255. The background color still shows up on my 60CSx as magenta.

Any suggestions for what to look at on my .bmp file to determine what the problem may be? I am using magenta as the background color and have checked it's RGB values and they are 255, 0, 255. The background color still shows up on my 60CSx as magenta.

Hmmm... I'm a bit stumped. Is it sized to 16x16 pixels? Not sure if this factors in, but do have the current firmware (v.3.30 as of 3/26/07) in your 60CSx? A long shot, maybe a fresh download of POI Loader v.2.4.1?

Hmmm... I'm a bit stumped. Is it sized to 16x16 pixels? Not sure if this factors in, but do have the current firmware (v.3.30 as of 3/26/07) in your 60CSx? A long shot, maybe a fresh download of POI Loader v.2.4.1?

Do have v3.30 on my 60CSx and .bmp is 16 x 16 pixels. Haven't tried downloading POI Loader again, may be worth a try. I've run out of ideas to try, is probably something simple I'm overlooking. I did call Garmin software support and they asked me to send them the .bmp file... no response from them yet.

Edited by eaparks

The background color still shows up on my 60CSx as magenta.

The color bit depth has to be set to 8 bits (not 24 bits). I have good results (magenta = transparent) with tis settings: • 16 X 16 pixels. • 200 x 200 dpi. • color depth 8bits

greetz

The color bit depth has to be set to 8 bits (not 24 bits). I have good results (magenta = transparent) with tis settings: • 16 X 16 pixels. • 200 x 200 dpi. • color depth 8bits

greetz

Thanks for the suggestion. I was already using 256 colors, which is what I usually use for custom POI icons / waypoints. Changed to 8 bit color and also tried 16 color bit depth with 81 x 81 dpi and still magenta background shows up on GPSr. For the life of me I am stumped as to why the background won't display transparent. If anyone wants to try the .bmp file themselves to see if the background appears transparent for you then send me a PM with your email address and I'll email it to you. The bitmap is of an atv.

I doubled and tripled checked: Using POI Loader v2.4.1, size = 16 x 16 pixels, using 256 colors, background = magenta = 255, 0, 255

Even with ver 2.3.2, you might want to try running in Manual mode first. I just ran a retest to double-check my earlier experiences, and if POILoader comes up wanting to create proximity alerts in Manual mode for a given file, then it'll create proximity alerts for that file if Express mode is used.

I'm beginning to suspect that POILoader 2.3.2's guess on proximity vs point is based on the filename. If I run it on a set of files ending in numbers - ex: foo1.csv, foo2.csv, foo3.csv - then POILoader is defaulting to proximity (speed) alerts. (With the threshold speeds set to 1mph, 2mph, 3mph - at least when set to Feet/MPH for the units.) However, if I simply rename the files to all-alpha names - ex: fooa.csv, foob.csv, fooc.csv - then POILoader defaults to creating regular locations. Anyone care to play with their filenames and see if they can duplicate this behavior?

I think all versions do some guessing based on filename/waypointname, I searched for some info on that and found some, but that was at home, and I'm sitting at work now. That was also why I couldn't find that other link :unsure:

ProsperoDK/René

I have been struggling with proximity alert info on a confluence file I created in Mapsource. I set 1 km alerts in Mapsource, but everytime I use POI Loader it defaults to 5 km. The filename was "confluences". No matter what I did, express or manual, it still came up with 5km alerts once loaded onto my Legend Cx.

THEN...I changed the name of the file to something generic, "points", and the 1km proximity alerts held.

But what kills me is in the POI loader help on the subject it says:

Proximity alert information can be calculated automatically based on speed information. It can also be included in .gpx data files or added in Manual mode.

POI Loader determines proximity alert information based on the following criteira, listed from highest to lowest priority:

1. Proximity alert information listed for individual POIs in a .gpx file. This information overrides all other proximity alert information.

2. Proximity alert information entered in Manual mode.

3. Proximity alert distance calculated by POI Loader based on speed information in the file name or in individual POI names. This calculation uses the following formula:

Prompt Distance = 36 seconds * Speed.

4. A default proximity alert distance of 400 meters/0.25 miles if the file name contains the word "redlight."

5. If there is a TourGuide audio file attached and no other proximity alert information is available, POI Loader assigns a proximity alert distance of 0.25 miles.

This obviously isn't true. Item 1 listed above was overidden by something lifted off the filename. The word CONFLUENCE triggered a 5 km proximity no matter what I did.

greetz

Hmmmm.... I am strugling with the same situation here.

Funny thing, the waypoint I downloaded from the elsinga web site show transparent; the ones I created myself have the magenta background on my GPS (60 Cx).

I tried everything, 24x24, 16x16, 8 bits, 200x200, etc. It simply doesn't work, which drives me crazy!

I cannot understand what am I doing wrong here!

WHich program do you guys use to edit your bmp files?

I tried Paint and IrfanView - is there anything else I can try to make this happen?

Any kind of information or suggestion is welcome.

Regards,

L

Edited by Laurontario
I tried everything, 24x24, 16x16, 8 bits, 200x200, etc. It simply doesn't work, which drives me crazy!

I tried Paint and IrfanView - is there anything else I can try to make this happen?

I use CorelPaint to make the conversion of 24-bits RGB pictures to 8-bits RGB pictures.

After the conversion I apply RGB(255,0,255) as the background color.

Using IrfanView to decrease the color depth is not recomendable in that IrfanView may change the color RGB(255,0,255) in a resembling e.g. RGB(254,1,254) wich isn't transparant on the GPSmap 60Cx.

Using an older version of Poiloader could also cancel the transparent background feature. Use version 2.4.1 or newer:

"Changes made from version 2.3.5 to 2.4.1:

* Added the ability to send bitmap images that contain magenta as a transparent color.

* Added support for subcategories of POI's.

* Added support for handling individual bitmap symbols for each subcategory of POI's.

* Added support for jpeg (.jpg) images that can be associated with POI's.

grtz

First let me say YOU ARE THE MAN! But i have a question. I purchased 4 poi files. I would like to load them in 2 groups. 3 in one group and 1 in the other. I tried loading 3 the changing the name then loading 1, but when i open the gps it still shows 4 files. Any ideas on how to fix?

Thanks Lee

Edited by sleecjr

Hmmmm.... I am strugling with the same situation here.

Funny thing, the waypoint I downloaded from the elsinga web site show transparent; the ones I created myself have the magenta background on my GPS (60 Cx).

Any kind of information or suggestion is welcome.

Today I had one out of 26 symbols show the magenta background. Checked the file in Paint Shop Pro and the color was correct (R=255,G=0,B=255). Compared it to another file that was working correctly. The one that didn't work had magenta (R=255,G=0,B=255) in the 256 spot of the palette (Index = 255). The one that worked had magenta in the index = 199 spot of the palette.

So if magenta isn't working as a transparent color, make sure your palette matches the palette of a file that works, which looks like it should have magenta in the 200th spot (Index = 199).

So if magenta isn't working as a transparent color, make sure your palette matches the palette of a file that works, which looks like it should have magenta in the 200th spot (Index = 199).

O.K., magenta in the 256 spot of the palette (Index = 255) doesn't show transparent.

Anyway I have always less than 256 different colors in a 16 X 16 pixels (= 256 pixels) icon:

(a 16 X 16 pixels icon with 256 different colors can at most contain only one magenta-pixel, wich is quite useless in the question of transparency).

Try to rebuild the color palette so that it contains no more colors than used in the image.

When done so the spot (position) of the magenta backgroundcolor in the palette is not critical.

I've put some images on the web to clarify:

http://home.scarlet.be/~tse99634/Lamp_A.bmp displays with transparent background on my GPSmap 60Cx

http://home.scarlet.be/~tse99634/Lamp_Pixels.jpg shows the 16 X 16 grid of the image

http://home.scarlet.be/~tse99634/Lamp_Color_Palette.jpg shows the color palette of the image

----------

First let me say YOU ARE THE MAN! But i have a question. I purchased 4 poi files. I would like to load them in 2 groups. 3 in one group and 1 in the other. I tried loading 3 the changing the name then loading 1, but when i open the gps it still shows 4 files. Any ideas on how to fix?

Thanks Lee

I've put also an image on wy web that shows a (theoretical) directory structure for loading different poi files in different subcategories. The poi files could be .gpx or .csv files.

http://home.scarlet.be/~tse99634/Poi_Directory.jpg

------------

Edited by Quenya

Ive gotten to where I can download the poi's okay now to work on the little blue dot is there and easy way to get something other then the blue dot??

If you name an icon .bmp the same as your POI file name (such as MyFinds.gpx, and MyFinds.bmp) and put it in the same folder, upon uploading you will get this custom icon displayed.

Where can I get the "GeoCache.bmp" and GeoCache Found.bmp" files to associate with my custom POI files. I've tried xlimage to get them off my vista cx, but it just pulls the blue dot custom icons off. I've looked at downloads throughout the net with no luck. I'd like the Garmin originals to match my vista icons.

Where can I get the "GeoCache.bmp" and GeoCache Found.bmp" files to associate with my custom POI files. I've tried xlimage to get them off my vista cx, but it just pulls the blue dot custom icons off. I've looked at downloads throughout the net with no luck. I'd like the Garmin originals to match my vista icons.

Have you seen http://www.thepropers.com/geocaching/60Ser...stomSymbols.htm ? This article may give you what you want.

Have you seen http://www.thepropers.com/geocaching/60Ser...stomSymbols.htm ? This article may give you what you want.

Those are good. Thank You. I will try them. But I was really looking for the BMP versions of the standard Garmin "treasure chest closed" and "treasure chest opened".

Excuse me butting in, but this appears to be such a good place to post that I would like to take the opportunity to raise an issue that I haven't been able to find the answer to elsewhere, so far:

I have a Garmin Legend HCx with a 2 GB microSD card. Its software version is 2.30.

I have succesfully loaded several .csv files to my Garmin using POI Loader, version 2.4.2, but POI Loader's behaviour seems erratic, sometimes executing the transfer successfully, sometimes not. So, for example I can usually load a list in the low thousands, comprising lines like this: -1.14153,60.1534,"ZE1 0AA" with the file name ZE.csv, say, but as I try with successively larger lists, a point is reached, usually at around seven or eight thousand, when the operation fails, and POI Loader simply closes down instead of issuing the usual congratulatory message. Then, sometimes, I find I cannot load a file that I was able to previously load. Yet, just once, I was able to load a file of 20,000 records. My typical location is L:\x_personal\GPS\CSV\Places of Interest, with a single .csv file therein.

I believed that the limit on the number of POIs able to be copied on Garmin 'x' receivers was only dictated by the size of the microSD card, which, in this case, should not be an issue.

I have tried transfers with USB Mass Storage connected and not connected, but there seems to be no difference.

I am confused and would appreciate some insight and assistance.

I thank you in anticipation.