Newbie Stuff 1 : Urban Caching

WW/LW/TW

Greetings,

We are addicted newbies to GC, and I have read much of the site. I have seen some INDIRECT reference to Urban caching...but nothing really addressing it.

So, is it OK? Is there a special name for it? Or web page/Site?

Are there special rules?

Any info or comments would be welcome!!

Thanks,

ww/lw/tw

Greetings,

We are addicted newbies to GC, and I have read much of the site. I have seen some INDIRECT reference to Urban caching...but nothing really addressing it.

So, is it OK? Is there a special name for it? Or web page/Site?

Are there special rules?

Any info or comments would be welcome!!

Thanks,

ww/lw/tw

No, it's all caching, the only difference is urban caching is in the city. Maybe a bit of extra care to avoid giving the cache location away, as somebody is more likely to see you in the city, but it's all the same game.

From my limited experience, urban caching is COMPLETELY different than deep woods caching. Easier in some ways, harder in others. Well, same principle, just different obsticles. Instead of snakes, ticks and crossing water, you have crowds, police and evil micro hides.

I'm not knocking either, but they are very different animals.

I'm a fairly new cacher as well and I've done exclusively urban caching so far. I have yet to get a GPSr but my buddy and fellow cacher has one that we use when caching together. I find the urban caches pretty easy in most cases using Google Earth. I dont have non-urban caching experience to draw off of, but I have made a couple observations so far regarding urban caches. First there are the Park-n-Grab caches, pretty self explanatory title, which are usually very easy to loacte and quick to get to as well as being generic containers / hiding places. Then you have the wittier hides which require either clever camo, evil micro containers, unique hiding places, or a combination. In my opinion these are probably harder, and more enjoyable from a challenge aspect, than some non-urban caches. Add the high muggle traffic in many urban locations and it can take several visits to a location to finally find the cache.

For me, the whole fun of geocaching is (1) the mental (or physical) challenge of finding the cache , (2) bringing me to a location/landmark I wouldn't normally come across in my everyday travels, and (3) What I might find within the cache. When a cache lacks two or more of those aspects, it just becomes another notch on the belt. I think some of the derogatory comments I've read regarding urban caching boil down to those points. Non-urban caches almost always will involve taking you to an out-of-the-way place with natural beauty and splendor. A clever hide or neat shwag ends up just being the icing on the cake in that case.

Urban Caching is good for Numbers. alot are just quick park and grabs. but don't think they are all easy. there are alot of evil hides out there. Lyndy hides seem to be very evil. the one that got me the most is in Reseda, CA at a Del Taco on Vanown and Corbin. i went to this place 4 times before i found this one. i have gone to many of this guys caches so now i just look at the spots that look like his type of cache. the most evil hide i came accross lately was call "A Mighty Lowe" it's at a new Lowes in Northridge, CA this one drove me nuts cuz i never would have thought how this was done till i found it. if you go for the numbers and do the urban Caches just remember that light poles are the most commen that you will find. The best cache i have found was a fake Sprinkaler. I had to look up Geocaching on Ebay to find out how one was hiden. there is one in Vegas that used Fake Dog Poop. so Urban Caches can be weird. pluse it is more of a challange to hide a larger cache in the Urban areas. most will be an Altoids tin. :D

most will be an Altoids tin. :D

Actually, I read an interesting thread on the diversity of cache containers depending on area. One theory was that some areas seem to accumulate a particular style of cache because people tend to make hides based on their previous finds. I think only maybe one out of the 17 finds I have so far have been an altoid tin. As for lampposts, I think that can depend on area as well, I have run into perhaps 3 or 4 lampost hides. It does seem that the cachers in my area tend to put a little more effort into their urban caches (as I hope to). I'm still fairly new, however, but with only 17 finds under my belt Im surprised at the variety of containers, cammo, and hiding spots Ive come across, all of them urban caches.