speed camera POIs

Back!

Try here.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/subscription.php

Unfortunatly, it's a pay for site, to download POI's now.

I got mine before they made it pay for, and they seem to be fairly correct as to where the cameras are, so may be worth the subscription fee.

I'm thinking of subbing.

G

If you report a new static camera and it is verified you will get FREE LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP, but make sure you have already suscribed or it wont count

Dave

Pocketgps was free until the beginning of this year, but the person who keeps the database up-to-date was finding the 1000 or so amendments to the database necessary every month to keep it up-to-date had become a full-time job. The site found they needed to raise an income to fund the work or abandon the free database. I regret them having to charge, but as I reported many cameras in South London as they went up I got a free lifetime subscription from the outset.

Edited by Learned Gerbil
Now, if you all behaved yourselves and stuck to the speed limits you wouldn't have to be concerned about the location of "safety cameras".

Here here! :laughing:

Tell you what though, Jane doesn't half get on your tits when driving around the M25 west of Heathrow...

GATSO, GATSO, GATSO...

:laughing:

Now, if you all behaved yourselves and stuck to the speed limits you wouldn't have to be concerned about the location of "safety cameras". :laughing:

It's the silly s0d in front of you, doing 50mph in a 60mph area, that sees the camera, panicks, then suddenly brakes to go past the camera at 40mph, that causes trouble!

I like to have this advance warning!

As motorway speed limits in roadworks are now frequently enforced using SPECS it is very helpful to have the most up-to-date database that is available as it is very easy to not spot the SPECS cameras on entry, and as they measure average speed, it is too late to spot the SPECS cameras on exit if you have let your speed creep up.

I find if you don't let that pointy thing on the dashboard go above the big black numbers in red circles at the side of the road, you don't have to worry about about the law enforcement cameras. After all, that's why they call it a limit, not a target. I also find advance warning of panic braking well served by the brake lights of the car in front; leaving a safe gap so that you avoid running into the back of them.

It's interesting that most people seem to count the cost of speeding in terms of points and fines; me, I count the cost in the contribution excessive speed makes to the 3500 deaths on our roads every year ;)

Excessive speed, despite the focus on speed limit enforcement, is a contributory factor in only 7.3% of accidents. Being careless and inattentive accounts for 35%.

Not saying there is nothing wrong with breaking the speed limit, it is the law, but maybe it is concentrated on too much. Drivers need to realise, as you say, it is a limit, not a target.

Perhaps this lack of understanding is the reason behind the recent announcement of a review into speed limits on rural roads. I can think of a lot of rural roads with sections that you could drive safely at 60mph but also sections where 60mph would be completely inappropriate, you do however get drivers that do not recognise this.

Edited by adambro
Excessive speed, despite the focus on speed limit enforcement, is a contributory factor in only 7.3% of accidents. Being careless and inattentive accounts for 35%.

We are getting off topic a bit here, but your figures raised an eyebrow and I went delving into the murky world of statistics. The DOT site here (page 4) quotes "factors determining excessive or inapprorriate speed amount to about 30% of contributory factors in road accidents".

Shoot me down! ;)

Jon

I find if you don't let that pointy thing on the dashboard go above the big black numbers in red circles at the side of the road, you don't have to worry about about the law enforcement cameras. After all, that's why they call it a limit, not a target. I also find advance warning of panic braking well served by the brake lights of the car in front; leaving a safe gap so that you avoid running into the back of them.

It's interesting that most people seem to count the cost of speeding in terms of points and fines; me, I count the cost in the contribution excessive speed makes to the 3500 deaths on our roads every year ;)

Oooooooo how dare you indirectly criticise people who break the speed limit. Don't you realise that;

a) the law doesn't apply to them,

:) they have been driving for years and as such are able to drive at whatever speed they choose,

c) they have received far more training in driving (I assume) than the rest of us and so are able to assess all road and driving conditions,

d) never speed with their families in the car (but are happy to risk mine and yours)

Oh almost forgot -

e) they have nothing whatsoever to do with dealing with the aftermath of the accidents caused by speed.

PS the figure is 30-odd % and even if it was only 7%, would you risk a loved ones life by going at a speed that's judged excessive by people who are far more expert at setting these things than you and I? Although taking into account all the answers above - perhaps you all would........ ;)

Oooopppps sorry Lacto - was obviously typing whilst you were posting yours. I did count to 10 as well............

Edited by Nick & Ali

If you are a Pocket PC/TomTom user (as I am), you may find the POI-Warner/POI Handler useful.

POI-Warner is a programme that integrates with TT and gives a time-related warning of the upcoming danger spot that is being protected by the Safety camera. This is superior to the simple distance-related warning provided by TT. The programme cost me €12 to register.

POI Handler is a POI database located in Holland. Cost €12 per year. My Ipaq updates daily on first connection. The site has POIs for all sorts of other things all over Europe.

Like the other sites, it is a live database that collates input from the users. Waypoints can be added to and removed from the database via the PPC while on the road. On the next synchronisation, the changes are uploaded to the database and everyone else gets updated.

I have found the advance warning this combo provides to be invaluable.

let's keep this on the topic of Speed/Safety/Revenue Camera POI's, not road safety etc., or I'll have to shut it down.

Fair enough, but is the location of crime detection cameras anything to with Geocaching? Or is anything that uses a GPSr considered "Geocaching"?

To drag this topic onto actual Geocaching, I did speculate whether there is an 'exclusive' series of camera caches out there, where in order to claim a find, you have to post a picture taken by the Gatso. :D Of course, you could only claim a handful of finds before you weren't allowed to 'play' for 12 months or so :D

This thread has made think (semi-seriously) of a couple of ideas for a series of caches.

• Based on the location of the cameras themselves, (magnetic nano caches, anyone?)
  • Caches at (or nearby, for safety's sake) the sites of road crashes (they are rarely accidents), with road safety themed swag and a copy of the highway code as a FTF prize.

Though I favour the second idea, I suspect they'd be too macabre for most people's taste.

Edited by Bumbling Fools

I don't know if this helps or is strictly correct. I used to use the pocketgps camera poi files for my pda based tom tom, but then stopped when they started charging.

However, I have a program called poiedit installed which is donate ware, and it has just autoupdated all of my pocketgps files without hitting the subscription screen. :o

However my TT is currently off the road - the compact flash gps unit died yesterday :D