Garmin GPSMAP 60C

Hi there,

I've currently a Garmin Venture which has seen me find and hide caches for the last 6 months.But I do have issues with the speed and accuracy of its satellite reception,although adequate.

I have just seen the older Garmin 60 C for £150 for sale on a UK website and am tempted to upgrade.Apart from the extra features etc,it's the satellite accuracy that is most important to me.

Is it worth it or shall I just say no at this time?

Hi there,

I've currently a Garmin Venture which has seen me find and hide caches for the last 6 months.But I do have issues with the speed and accuracy of its satellite reception,although adequate.

I have just seen the older Garmin 60 C for £150 for sale on a UK website and am tempted to upgrade.Apart from the extra features etc,it's the satellite accuracy that is most important to me.

Is it worth it or shall I just say no at this time?

I have a yellow etrex and a Gpsmap 60c and if you hold them side by side I would not say that the 60c was better than the yellow in terms of accuracy or speed of lock and under leaf cover they die the same death.

Dave

I think it is the Garmin CSx which you need to increase ability to receive signals in poor areas of reception and believe that the Vista CSx has the same chip, i.e. SIRF III. I don't think the 60C or 60CS are any more sensitive or accurate than the Venture.

Edited by John Stead

I've just switch from my trusty Etrex Legend to a GPSmap 60C probably from the same web site.... i think its a better machine....and in MY opinion it works better under trees than the Legend did. Plus its got some nice additional features, USB being one of them for FAST uploading of waypoints and Maps, and the route planning... quite handy.

In all i'm happy with my upgrade... i wouldn't have spent £150 more for a 60csx though.

Mart

I don't believe it's possible to upgrade any GPS in that way, as it involved a hardware change. ;)

Sometimes small things are posisble by just upgrading the software (program). ;)

Probably what they mean is that is not possible to make a Sirf based GPS within the general capabilites of the eTrex range.