What is a GPX file and how do I use it?

GPX and LOC are both XML file formats.

LOC is the bare-bones version - cache name, owner, waypoint ID, latitude, longitude, and whether you've already found the cache. Enough info for basic cache management and to download coords to your GPSr - not fancy, but it works. Regular members can download multiple caches at a time in LOC format from the search pages, or individually from each cache's page.

GPX is the deluxe model - everything that LOC contains, plus the full text from the cache description, difficult/terrain ratings, type of cache, size of container (if known), hint (if provided), most recent log entries, and names of any TBs/geocoins logged into the cache. This is incredibly handy for people who bring a PDA or laptop along on caching trips, since they can bring up all the textual information from the cache page without having to hop online or make printouts. Regular members can download individual caches in GPX format from the cache's page, but can't download multiple caches all at once in GPX format. (Programs like EasyGPS and GSAK can be used to manage all the individual GPX files.) Premimum members can retrieve large numbers of caches at a time in GPX format using "Pocket Queries" (aka PQs), which are basically a way of querying the cache database using a wide variety of criteria (caches within 10 miles of home that are terrain 3 or less and difficulty 2 or less, etc etc etc), with up to 500 caches matching those criteria sent back to the user via email. PQs are pretty consistently rated as the #1 benefit of getting a premium membership.

Is there any way to download a GPX file with multiple caches in it other than through a Pocket Query?

I notice that for a regular search I can check off several caches and then download a single file with multiple waypoints (.LOC) and it would be so nice if I could do something similar for GPX.

GPX and LOC are both XML file formats.

Regular members can download individual caches in GPX format from the cache's page, but can't download multiple caches all at once in GPX format.

Newbie quesiton: I feel like im missing something, Im a regular member but im pretty sure I only ever see .loc files on chache's pages. Do all caches have .loc and .gpx for download, or do only some?

I have spent hours searching GSAK but still can't find detailed instructions on how to get the HINT and terr/diff to show up in the NOTES on a Garmin 60CSX after it has been imported from GSAK. I keep seeing "Cache description format" but don't know where it is, how to change it, what to change it to, any of that. Any help?

I have spent hours searching GSAK but still can't find detailed instructions on how to get the HINT and terr/diff to show up in the NOTES on a Garmin 60CSX after it has been imported from GSAK. I keep seeing "Cache description format" but don't know where it is, how to change it, what to change it to, any of that. Any help?

The way I've been doing it is by clicking on the "User Note" box in the line of the cache. That's the column that looks like a page (usually next to the column with the human figure). This will bring up a notes window that you can either "cut & paste" the info into or type it directly. But remember, the character limit in the CSx is limited to 30 characters (including spaces).

This is the only thing I don't understand about the the note field in the 60CSx, there is room for about 60 characters.