Missing/Inactive Cache owner

mrring

We started geocaching this year and we are having a blast with it. Recently we've run across a couple of caches that are not being taken care of. The owner was a premium member but is not current at this time and has no finds or hides in almost a year.

My question, how do you go about taking care of another person's caches without getting into trouble? I want to do the proper way and don't want any hurt feelings.

mrring

We started geocaching this year and we are having a blast with it. Recently we've run across a couple of caches that are not being taken care of. The owner was a premium member but is not current at this time and has no finds or hides in almost a year.

My question, how do you go about taking care of another person's caches without getting into trouble? I want to do the proper way and don't want any hurt feelings.

mrring

Start with a polite email to the cache owner. Just because they're not actively on the trail doesn't necessarily mean that they don't care about their cache.

If you don't get a response, and it's something simple about the cache that needs to be maintained (like a new logbook, ziploc bag, etc.) go ahead and do it. Nothing wrong with being a good neighbor.

If the cache is thrashed, and you don't get any response from an email, then I'd consider a "Should be Archived" note. But try contacting 'em first.

If they are truly inactive and you wish to be responsible for the cache, you can see if you can adopt it.

We tried contacting the owner but our email came back as undeliverable. I've been contacting other cachers in the area that might know her or her real name so I can talk to my buddys in law enforcement. I have a name but nobody knows who she is.

One of her caches was trashed, one missing, and a couple more a wet (standing water in the container). How do I go about adopting the cache.

I've been contacting other cachers in the area that might know her or her real name so I can talk to my buddys in law enforcement. I have a name but nobody knows who she is.

Umm.... really bad idea. Invasion of privacy, in my opinion.

If the cache is really worth saving, in your opinion, then, yeah, send an email to your local reviewer to request adoption. If it's a lamppole micro that continually fills up with water, then maybe it should rest in peace.

I've been contacting other cachers in the area that might know her or her real name so I can talk to my buddys in law enforcement. I have a name but nobody knows who she is.

If the cache is really worth saving, in your opinion, then, yeah, send an email to your local reviewer to request adoption. If it's a lamppole micro that continually fills up with water, then maybe it should rest in peace.

Hypothetically, if someone used their buddy in law enforcement to get my private info, I would 1) do my darndest to get their buddy canned, and 2) complain loudly to TPTB.

Edited by sbell111

I gotta agree with the bespeckled bovine on this one. I'm a deputy sheriff, and I have access to information sources outside the norm. Using these sources for anything other than law enforcement can get me arrested, and can cause my agency to lose their access. That would be a bad career move. :laughing:

I praise you for wanting to do the right thing, but I ask you to use caution in your methods.

Hypothetically, if someone used their buddy in law enforcement to get my private info, I would 1) do my darndest to get their buddy canned, and 2) complain loudly to TPTB.

OT, I know....

Then you don't know the law enforcement community very well! That sort of thing goes on every day on every force. I am looking to buy a 1970 Dodge Challenger, when I see one on the road I get its license number and have a police friend run it and get an address for the registered owner, then send a letter asking the owner if it is for sale. No luck so far, as they are highly collectable, but no 'invasion of privacy' complaints either.

I would never buy a gun or any item of any value from an individual without having the cops run it against their stolen property list. I don't tell the seller I am doing this. It has saved me from buying (and recovered for the rightful owner) everything from a rifle, a jet-ski to an expensive Skill saw.

I met a fellow customer at the Pro desk at Home Depot just last week who overheard me buying a list of materials to add a bedroom and bath to my home. He asked me if I would have any floor refinishing to do, as that was his profession. I told him yes, I would, in fact, and he followed me home to give me a quote. We agreed on a price and he unloaded his floor belt sander and laft, to return the next day. He didn't show, nor the next day, sparking my curiosity. I had a local Deputy Sheriff run the machine's serial number, and it comes up stolen. Needless to say the guy hasn't been back, but I saved having a thief working in my home and the rental company will get their $8,000. machine back.

Sometimes privacy needs to be invaded!

Then you don't know the law enforcement community very well!

Perhaps. I've only been doing it since '82. Some would call me a rookie. Accessing FCIC or NCIC for non law enforcement related purposes is a crime. Just because some feller with a badge does it, doesn't make it moral, or legal. It's not so much an issue if all the officer does is check a serial number, since that wouldn't violate someone's privacy, but it's a huge issue if officers give out a person's name & address to anyone with a tag number. To become NCIC certified, each officer takes a sworn oath that they will not reveal any personal information obtained via NCIC to anyone outside the law enforcement community.

Maybe your buddy takes his oath a little less seriously than others?

Hell, what do I know. I'm just a rookie. :laughing:

Then you don't know the law enforcement community very well!

Perhaps. I've only been doing it since '82. Some would call me a rookie. Accessing FCIC or NCIC for non law enforcement related purposes is a crime. Just because some feller with a badge does it, doesn't make it moral, or legal. It's not so much an issue if all the officer does is check a serial number, since that wouldn't violate someone's privacy, but it's a huge issue if officers give out a person's name & address to anyone with a tag number. To become NCIC certified, each officer takes a sworn oath that they will not reveal any personal information obtained via NCIC to anyone outside the law enforcement community.

Maybe your buddy takes his oath a little less seriously than others?

Hell, what do I know. I'm just a rookie. ;)

My comment about not knowing the community was addressed to another poster, so no offense was meant to you in any way. Your oath and the fact that you will put on that uniform gets immediate respect and trust from me.

The legality or morality wasn't the issue - the fact that it occurs was.

The fact that it occurs does not reflect on you or your service in any way, I am sorry if you felt it to be personal.

I am proud of my decade of Naval service and my 28 years as an IT consultatnt, even though I know there are bad sailors and consultants out there. I hope you will see that acknowledging that some police break the law does not reflect badly on all police.

My experiences from traveling widely and living in Alabama and California have led me to believe that most police are honest and good despite being over-worked and underpaid, yet some live in very nice houses.

Could it be that when some begin to make an arrest and the perp mentions he does air conditioning systems or hardwood floors for a living that a deal is made? No arrest for a nice new floor? It certainly happens. Is it right, legal, moral or ethical? No. But it's real.

Honest educated folks (i.e. most police) tend to be better money managers and more prone to having good credit and even multiple jobs, so that doesn't mean that a cop that lives well should be suspect.

Would it be prudent to ignore it, say it doesn't happen, pretend that all is well rather than risk insulting all police by admitting it happens? No. The vast majority of police I know would not do that, but will run a tag number for me. Situational ethics, perhaps. Would they do it for just anyone? I don't know, I doubt it, but many will do it for someone they know whom they believe wants it for totally benign purposes.

Would a policeman give someone a pass on a speeding stop if the guy hands them his Lodge card along with his license? Some will, most won't.

I have a friend in Georgia, an Lt. on a suburban city force, that keeps a small box of unreported confiscated pistols in his trunk to be used as 'throw-downs' in case one of his men ever shoots an unarmed man. If that unfortunate event were ever to happen he'd be the first one called to the scene, and anyone arriving after him would find the victim to be armed. I am not a police officer, but I understand that's not all that uncommon. Illegal, unethical, immoral? Yes. A prudent way for a police officer to protect himself from charges of a 'bad' shooting? Yes.

Again, that doesn't mean all cops would do it, and while it may infuriate you, that it happens is no reflection on you. I appreciate and honor your service.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic! (Apologies to the mods, that should have been a PM, but since he was offended in public I felt I needed to fix it in public... I don't ever want to be seen as besmirching the reputation of one of our finest! Anyone who wishes to comment on this topic please PM me!)

Ed

My comment about not knowing the community was addressed to another poster, so no offense was meant to you in any way. Your oath and the fact that you will put on that uniform gets immediate respect and trust from me.

The legality or morality wasn't the issue - the fact that it occurs was.

You commented to my post, so I'll comment on yours.

If an officer breaks the law and gives out my personal information, I will see to it that he is fired. That officer does not deserve my respect.

Would it be prudent to ignore it, say it doesn't happen, pretend that all is well rather than risk insulting all police by admitting it happens? No. The vast majority of police I know would not do that, but will run a tag number for me. Situational ethics, perhaps. Would they do it for just anyone? I don't know, I doubt it, but many will do it for someone they know whom they believe wants it for totally benign purposes.
I'm not sure what makes me less happy, the fact that your buddy is willing to break the law for you or the fact that you don't think people should have a problem with either you asking him to or him doing it.
I have a friend in Georgia, an Lt. on a suburban city force, that keeps a small box of unreported confiscated pistols in his trunk to be used as 'throw-downs' in case one of his men ever shoots an unarmed man. If that unfortunate event were ever to happen he'd be the first one called to the scene, and anyone arriving after him would find the victim to be armed. I am not a police officer, but I understand that's not all that uncommon. Illegal, unethical, immoral? Yes. A prudent way for a police officer to protect himself from charges of a 'bad' shooting? Yes.
Are you kidding??? The officer breaks several departmental policies and laws in order to cover up what is clearly a wrongful shooting (thereby breaking more laws) and it's OK?

I'm convinced that you are trolling in your post. In my opinion, you could not possibly expect us to support your point of view. LEOs that act dishonorably in performance of their duties should be fired. Those that break the law should be punished to the full extent of same.

Edited by sbell111
Are you kidding??? The officer breaks several departmental policies and laws in order to cover up what is clearly a wrongful shooting (thereby breaking more laws) and it's OK?

I'm convinced that you are trolling in your post. In my opinion, you could not possibly expect us to support your point of view. LEOs that act dishonorably in performance of their duties should be fired. Those that break the law should be punished to the full extent of same.

I asked responders (that's you) to take it to PM; but since you insist on throwing around accusations here I will answer them here.

You have accused me of trolling in this and other threads repeatedly, mostly it appears when you can't make a good case of anything else. You are quite wrong, I have not and never will troll just to get a response. If I enter a debate it's because I think I have a valid opinion that will be of value to someone.

Nowhere in my posts do I promote or support the breaking of any law for any reason - I simply acknowledged that it happens.

Nowhere in my post do I ask you or anyone else to support my, or in fact any, point of view.

Being a Charter Member with a bazillion forum posts does not give you the right to attack me personally, and I have asked the moderators before to stop you from doing so. I ask again.

I reiterate my request that you continue this in PM if you feel the need to do so, if you post here trying to further twist my words I pretty much have to respond here, and I expect everyone is sick of both of us by now.

Ed

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

From the Forum Guidelines

Private Discussions: Sometimes, a discussion thread strays off into a friendly dialogue or a heated debate among a very small number of users. For these exchanges, use the private discussion feature that is provided through the Groundspeak forums, or the Geocaching.com e-mail system. Public forum posts should be reserved for matters of interest to the general community.

Thanks, guys.

Quiggle

Nowhere in my posts do I promote or support the breaking of any law for any reason - I simply acknowledged that it happens.
Did you not mention that you have asked an officer to give you private info? Did you not also post that using a throw-down weapon is 'A prudent way for a police officer to protect himself from charges of a 'bad' shooting'?

mrring

Back on topic.

You can be a cache angel at any time and that's a good thing. You can replace wet or full logs (and offer to send the log you dried out to the owner) anytime. You can fix up the cache container, or replace it if it's been vandalized and strewn over the lawn and so on.

Don't change the container from one kind to another in a drastic way. Especially Ammon can to gladware (some people have done this thinking it was a good thing and others just because they thought it was cool to jack ammo cans).

Cache angles are rare enough to where when one comes along they quickly get a good repuation. Plus they flat out set out a good example.

Ed, thank you for clarifying that.

OP, my apologies for wandering off topic.

Back on topic: As a cache owner, I love it when folks freshen up my caches. It saves these old bones from having to make another trip. As far as contacting an inactive member? I think that you've done everything possible by sending them E-mails and asking locals. My hat's off to you for caring! ;)

Thanks for the advise on the cache.

For those who took offense to my comment about talking to my buddy. I'm sorry you misunderstood. I myself working in law enforcement both on the street and behind the radio. I'm sorry you took my comment wrong. What I meant was that I was going to run the owner's name by my buddies that work in and around the small town where she used to live in hopes that they might know her name and be able to tell me for use whether she was alive or dead. I never meant to BREAK THE LAW. I'm not that type of person and I'm offended that you would assume that I would. I guess I thought the geocachers were a different breed of people. Someone who can find something that they consider valuable enough to look for and then put it back so the average person can't find it is definitely a person with higher standards.

Anyway, sorry to the rest for the off-track conversion and my most sincere thanks to those who gave advise.

mrring