setting gps to cache in Asia help

zoester

Hi there,

I'm spending the next week and a half in Korea and Japan. I'm in Seoul, Korea now and can't get the gps to pick up satellites. I've got a Garmin 60 cx. Any idea why this might be happening? Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially since the chances of me ever getting here again are slim.

Thanks

ZOE

I am in the same boat: visiting Japan from California and my ancient Garmin GPS III Plus is not getting anything. The basemaps are outdated but I have never had such a hard time with satellites in the states. Any suggestions for us?

It takes several minutes (about 15 minutes) to let your GPSr adjust to the current time zone. I recommend you try to do it in an open area, like a park. Very tough to do this among the skyscrapers in Tokyo, or from a moving train.

I usually go to the airplane observation deck at Narita Airport when I first arrive, to let my GPSr's adjust.

For my eTrex, I say "YES" when it asks if it has moved hundreds of miles since last use. For my Magellan, I enter the coordinates of where I am (In Tokyo, try N 35°, E 139° and don't forget it's East, not West :laughing: ) For my Lowrance, I can either let it figure it out by itself, or do a GPS Reset with the coordinates.

For Garmin 60cx, I suspect it will try to figure it out automatically.

It takes several minutes (about 15 minutes) to let your GPSr adjust to the current time zone. I recommend you try to do it in an open area, like a park. Very tough to do this among the skyscrapers in Tokyo, or from a moving train.

I knew that this crew would know how to solve this issue. One follow up question though... when it finally "sees" Japan, does that solve the searching problem, or should I expect that 15 minute lag each time I boot up?

Thanks!

av

Hi,

Once you get satelites and got your location collectly in Tokyo, you can use GPSr as you use in US.

But when you move over 800km(500mile?), your GPSr needs 15min again.

Please see the manual below. P4(what is GPS) and P5(Initialization)

http://www.garmin.com/products/manual.jsp?...ct=010-00185-00

It can happen when you back to US. :laughing:

matz Tokyo/Japan

Edited by matz