Kruger Park - the do's and dont's?

Fish Eagle

:P The Kruger Park is on our doorstep and close to our hearts - hence this topic.

We have concerns about geocaching misbehaviour in the KNP (and other national parks in SA for that matter), and would like to fish for opinions on the subject of caches in national parks. There are already several caches in the KNP, and the number is growing rapidly. In the interests of preserving this incredible geocaching resource for all geocachers, we believe that some basic ethics should be adhered to with hiding caches. (But maybe we are being over-sensitive?) :P

Please take a look at the following two KNP caches, read the listings and the logs, and express your opinion.

GCRH9J Nkulu http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt= which we feel quite uncomfortable about, and

GCX72V Resting in Timbavati http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...c5-4352ada39921 which seems a responsible reaction to the first log.

mmmm.... firstly "The cache is a plastic honey jar with an orange lid and contains a log book and pencil" you can put that thing through the dishwasher a million times.... a baboon will probably still sniff the scent of honey in the air! :laughing:

It's clearly not located in a safe location. Somewhere on the net you'll find a video of a clever tourist who in the Kruger decided that the zoom function on his video camera wasn't good enough so got out of his car and walked up to a pride of lions to film them in macro. Naturally he was quickly consumed by the pride... this was all captured on film by someone in another vehicle. Sadly, as always, the lions are put down because there are idiots in this world... tut tut we digress.... Anyway, perhaps if you can find the link to the video post it in a note in the cache... The one cache has been rightfully disabled, the other should be too, and if no response from the cache owner within a few weeks request the approver to archive it.

IMHO: irresponsible caching.

As we have caches in KNP as well, herewith my view on the subject.

1. DO NOT place a cache outside of demarkated areas, where you are allowed to exit your vehicle. If it is outside a demarkated place, then it must be accesable from inside the vehicle. There is one such a cache, namely "Survivor Tree Mail".

2. I don't think just food attracts animals, but may be easier to find by smell, I have seen them opening ladies "Vanity cases" as well (There may now be a view baboons and monkeys, that won't have off spring for quite some time) :-). The issue must be to limit the possibility of detecting the container via smell, how best I'm not sure.

3. When picking a spot in a Nat Park, you must consider all of the following: (a) Are you allowed to walk around / get out of your vehicle here? (:laughing: Are there wild animals around that may feed on your container? © Pick a cache container of appropriate size for the reason of lasting in the area you are placing it, i.e. if a regular size cache would be to easy to be detected / discovered by non-cachers and animals, what about a small or micro (I know people do not like micro's, but if this is your only choice left, well...

Will it be on private or public land? - If you place it on private land, please ask permission before putting it there! If you place the cache on public lands you need to contact the managing agency to find out about their rules. You will be in violation of federal regulation by placing a cache in any area administered by the National Park Service (US). The National Park regulations are intended to protect the fragile environment, and historical and cultural areas found in the parks.

Will it cause unnecessary concern? - Please use common sense when choosing a location for your cache. Do not place your cache in any location where it might be confused with something more dangerous.

The above quote is copied from the geocaching website. It is fairly clear that caches should not be placed without the area owner permission. Or, where the cache is considered dangerous.

We do not want to get ourselves in the position like in the States where geocaching is banned in most parks etc.

On the container issue, a three pack "Prestige" airtight container package is only R29.00 from Pick and Pay! Why risk the life of an animal with ice-cream containers and old food containers when you can buy "pristine" clean containers at reasonable prices. Combined with three cans of spray paint (at R27.99 each) you can make yourself very nice camo containers at less than R40.00 a container.

On the container issue, a three pack "Prestige" airtight container package is only R29.00 from Pick and Pay!

Absolutely. Don't know whether the problem is with Prestige or PnP, but these items have become scarce. I bought a whole bunch sometime ago but haven't seen any for a few months now. Just keep in mind, it's not Loc 'n Loc, so they're not really airtight, but a heck of a lot better than icecream containers.

Coming from someone who has gone through field guide training and is a great wildlife enthusiast (M@X Meekat, Alpha Male) I believe that this Nkulu is too risky.

Nkulu is based on a road commonly known as Leopard Alley, and even though I have seen more Leopards on the S100, I do not feel comfortable with meeting one here while searching through the bush for a plastic container.

I am with Warthog's comment. If it isn't in the demarcated zone, don't put it there. There's plenty of places to hide caches in the camps and other "Safe" places in the Park.

Considering Nkulu has broken two of the cardinal rules (one NP rule and one GC rule) and border line breaks another (GC rule), I'm surprised it hasn't been reported and disabled. This one is just too risky and shows no respect for the wildlife.

Just to illustrate Nkuhlu. When we arrived here to do the cache, there was a full grown elephant right next to the picnic spot between the cache and the picnic spot.

Also, a lot of packaging companies around Gauteng sells "honey jars", if that is your size <_< for under R5 per jar, clean and brand new.

Regarding Nkhulu - the opinions above are quite clear.

I have contacted the cache owner, who is not a local, explained the issue, and offered to assist him with moving this cache to a safe spot that does not require rules to be broken. Hope it gets sorted out soon.

This subject has run it's course, so I'll close down the thread (if I can work out how)

Edited by Fish Eagle