Possible 2007 MWGB Locations?

Bjorn74

if i could make a recomendation how about rice creek park reserve in lino lakes mn actually the little icon next to my name is the map. although there may be parking trouble im sure that can be solved with a lil extra walking. but this park has a nice beach with 2 large picnic pavillions it still may be too small but idk how many people would actually come. there also is a fancy golf coarse and 4 miles of paved trails nice park your event may be to large though but this location is close to minneapolis

How many campsites are there?

We had over 500 cachers this year so figure 700 to 1000 next year.

Wulf

No way will they be able to handle the numbers.

Rice Creek County Park has only 78 campsites, plus a "group camp" area.

Bunker Hill Campground, approx. 15-20 miles away, has 44.

Linky for the above 2 campgrounds.

Those are the only two listed on the Anoka County Park page.

There is one other small campsite at Rice Lake State Park, which looks to be at least 2-5 miles away from Rice Creek Co. Park.

Info page on the campground says it has 42 drive-in sites, 5 walk-in sites (less than 25 feet from parking area), and 4 cart-in sites (100 ft. from parking area). 16 of the sites are electric, the rest are "rustic".

Edited by PAWSitraction

if i could make a recomendation how about rice creek park reserve in lino lakes mn actually the little icon next to my name is the map. although there may be parking trouble im sure that can be solved with a lil extra walking. but this park has a nice beach with 2 large picnic pavillions it still may be too small but idk how many people would actually come. there also is a fancy golf coarse and 4 miles of paved trails nice park your event may be to large though but this location is close to minneapolis

It doesn't sound like it is in Northern Indiana where the organizers want to hold the MWGB in 2007.

How many campsites are there?

We had over 500 cachers this year so figure 700 to 1000 next year.

Wulf

No way will they be able to handle the numbers.

Rice Creek County Park has only 78 campsites, plus a "group camp" area.

Bunker Hill Campground, approx. 15-20 miles away, has 44.

Linky for the above 2 campgrounds.

Those are the only two listed on the Anoka County Park page.

There is one other small campsite at Rice Lake State Park, which looks to be at least 2-5 miles away from Rice Creek Co. Park.

Info page on the campground says it has 42 drive-in sites, 5 walk-in sites (less than 25 feet from parking area), and 4 cart-in sites (100 ft. from parking area). 16 of the sites are electric, the rest are "rustic".

eek well who knows if all r going to camp some may stay in a hotel although theres another park in anoka county near bunker called coon rapids dam park its got less then the two but idk how many campsites agian now is that rice co park is that the one in forest lake because i know there was a place to camp in forest lake. also minneapolis is less than 30 mins away from rice creek 35 from bunker and there r many hotels in minneapolis. besides the new one thats expected to finish this year 3 mins from rice creek park this place also has a nice canoe and kyak route.

How about having it in Danville, IN, just west of Indy?

I was just at the BRAND NEW Hendricks County 4-H Fairgrounds and Convention Center. It was much larger than I anticipated and they supposedly have loads of camping. This facility just opened for the first time late last month so when I say new, I mean there is still straw over the grassed areas. They also have plenty of indoor facilities.

I do not believe they have a website yet, but I can certianly get some info if interested.

We were at the pow wow on Sunday at St Patrick County Park outside South Bend. It's big enough for the Geobash, it has a large barn for indoor functions and a 5000 seat outdoor theater for the band. There's plenty of hotels and restaurants close by and it's not far from the I-80/90 toll road.

Just a thought...

Wulf

That's a nice park there. They even hold concerts there in the summer. Good pick TTI!

We were at the pow wow on Sunday at St Patrick County Park outside South Bend. It's big enough for the Geobash, it has a large barn for indoor functions and a 5000 seat outdoor theater for the band. There's plenty of hotels and restaurants close by and it's not far from the I-80/90 toll road.

Just a thought...

Wulf

That's a nice park there. They even hold concerts there in the summer. Good pick TTI!

Plus it meets the close to IL requirement and I have met one of the Park Rangers ( whom is also a geocacher) ... so this particular park is very Cacher Friendly , and we know they don't mind having events there !

Star

Actually we have almost made a decision, barring anything unexpected. Close to our original target area and in our price range. Mucho camping on-venue and (we think) several hotels within a very short drive, possibly within walking distance.

A little more urban but we felt that was okay as last year it seemed hard to get out and find food, ice, etc.

We're learning more about the contract, camping options for us, catering, etc. before committing but if I put a percentage on it, we're 90% decided.

I'm working on the '07 home page and it'll be up to coincide with the location announcement. Then we're really off and running.

I've also got the paperwork to apply for a world record attempt of Duck Duck Goose. I think the current record (from my research) is around 500 - I think we can beat that without problem on Saturday.

Along with the venue we'll also have the preliminary schedule.

BTW, things we have learned:

- Close to Chicago == $$$ because it's close to Chicago

- Western Indiana == $$$ because it's like the RV capital of the world and they have a zillion RV rallies a year and no issue getting top dollar for venues on any given week.

So we're a scosh further east than we had hoped, but it's still a great spot IMO.

Edited by trippy1976

Just a thought but Indiana University-Bloomington might actually rent out its fieldhouse to us as a group...

There is also the Monroe Co. fairgrounds which have a tremendous amount of indoor facilities

There are:

plenty of hotels nearby

plenty of camping in nearby dnr properties(paynetown and brown county)

plenty of free camping in the hoosier national forest

plenty of restaurants and 2 wineries

plenty of local award winning breweries

plenty of hiking caches

plenty of urban ammo can caches(thats right urban ammo cans!)

a superior 5/5 cache(if I may say so) GCTK66

If bloomington doesn't sound good to anyone then my vote would be somewhere in indiana since it hasn't been in Indiana yet.

I'm working on the '07 home page and it'll be up to coincide with the location announcement. Then we're really off and running.

Cannot wait to hear when & where...we had a BLAST at the last one...just hope we can make the next one!

I've also got the paperwork to apply for a world record attempt of Duck Duck Goose. I think the current record (from my research) is around 500 - I think we can beat that without problem on Saturday.

Hmmm...is it still Duck Duck Goose if you call it Cacher Cacher Muggle? I would hate to have to run around that circle!

Since I answered a lot of questions at the Indiana Fall Picnic this weekend, I'll share a little more.

We are hoping to have a contract in place by Wednesday (so I can attend an event in Columbus, OH) and then we should be ready to make the announcement. The current sticking point are available dates. They have an event that may be rescheduled out of our prefered period. Otherwise, we'll be taking door #2. It will meet the most important criteria for the event: Easy Access and Reasonable Distance for folks coming from our biggest areas of support. Bonuses are really close proximity to hotels and their cooperation at such an early stage.

It's time to get excited! It's time to start looking for ducks! (The Nashville, IN sock store was a great place to start looking this weekend.)

it's time to get excited! It's time to start looking for ducks! (The Nashville, IN sock store was a great place to start looking this weekend.)

That would be "For Bare Feet"! www.forbarefeet.com

They are a locally owned company with their factory in the old Helmsburg High School, at Helmsburg, Indiana. (Just a few miles west of Bean Blossom) :D

HINT: If you wanted MWGB logo socks, they would design and make them for you. [:D]

Glad you had a good time in Brown County!

Whew. I redid the website template and am much happier. Ben and I have been talking and have a lot of ideas in the works for '07. It's going to be flipping sweet.

Registration will not be going online for several months as we're completely reworking our registration process to make it a little more intuitive and to meet our needs for custom swag, etc. better.

Also we will see the advent of the volunteer database this year. We'll be asking anyone who can volunteer to help with... well... anything... to submit an entry into the volunteer database. "The plan" is to have a selection like

I'm willing to assist with the following (select all that apply):

- MWGB Planning

- MWGB Staff

- Assist with local geocaching organizations

- Assist with local events

Then over the course of 2007 we will make the database available to the leadership of Geocaching Organizations in the midwest. So we'll leverage the database for MWGB planning and it will also be a tool for the entire midwest community. We're looking forward in the coming years to making more and more tools that are broadly useful available to the general midwest community (like... event registration for instance)

Trippy, you know what I'm volunteering for!!!! And I'm happy to do it!!!

I had hoped to volunteer for that too, but alas, it seems my 10 year old daughter will be joining me this year.

I do plan to get a pair of two way radios and teach her how to use one (while I keep the other one) so I can attend while she is asleep.

SCRRRREEEEW!!!!

Driver....

Taken from the Midwest Geobash Forums:

Hokay. So we're getting some ducks (knuck) in a row, but here are the vitals as they stand:

When: July 20-22

Where: Noble County Fairground, Kendallville, IN

Website Update: Very soon.

So here's the jazz. We've shrunk the event to 3 official days. If you have strong interest in volunteering, add a day to the front of that. We're doing a special volunteers-only day prior to the event so we can sanely do setup and thank our volunteers in a proper fashion. We felt bad that some may not have been thanked as much as others because they just kind of stepped up and we were so busy. Rest assured - the only way in heck this happens is the generous support of all attendees smile.gif

The dates are still technically tentative until a contract is signed. We have a meeting scheduled to do that so it's not ultra-tentative.

We won't know the full details on the on-venue camping until the contracts get signed, but the early indications are that we will not be managing/selling camping as part of registration this year. This (as are most things at this early stage) is subject to change.

We are having Friday/Saturday catered and will be offering tickets as part of a registration package at the meal cost. We will buy a small number of extra "at door" tickets which we intend to gouge shamelessly. Menu is TBD, but should be a nicer meal than last year.

We are working on sponsor packages.

A new website will be coming online soon. If you haven't noticed the flashing red alert lights - these forums are pretty much under attack. All hands - prepare to abandon ship. We'll be leaving these old rusty digs for a new forum. Sadly - our posts and accounts will not be following us. SO - if you have anything here near and dear to your heart (a sig line, an avatar, a favorite topic, etc.) make sure to preserve it for The Great Migration Of 2006 (or 2007)

Last year we had the new site online on November 27 and I'm working furiously to beat that by 20+ days.

As usual - the new site will be pretty much useless smile.gif Except the forums, pretty much everything posted there is so preliminary you should treat it as lies. LIES! Except date/place. That we're pretty sure about.

Once we move, Ben and I will be paying more attention to the forums. We'll probably be hitting up volunteers one on one giving '06 victims first refusal on a repeat performance. Hurrah to them btw!

Also soon we will be getting the block at the hotel so anyone planning to join the Hotel Gypsies - stay tuned.

Hope this numbs that aching feeling in your stomach for more detail. smile.gif I know it's been a while since MWGB06. 262 days and counting until MWGB07!!! See you guys there.

I had a great time at the '06 Bash...had fun helping with the TBs!! I would love to lend a hand ANYWHERE needed, but loved the experience last year!! Put me in, anywhere at all, I'll be happy to lend a hand. CONSIDER THIS MY WAY OF VOLUNTEERING!!!! SERIOUSLY...CONTACT ME IF YOU WOULD LIKE MY SERVICES!!! Depending on the schedule at our place of business, we MAY have an extra golf cart to lend too...MAYBE!!

My only worry...last year, we signed up for an electric campsite. The only electric spots available seemed to be right in the middle of the pack!! While I'm not a recluse by any means, I didn't like the idea of "smelling what everyone else had for dinner that night" if you know what I mean. :( And, I don't think the tents offer much as sound barriers from those "all-nighter's" (not to mention against runaway golf carts :D ). We finally settled in a nice little spot in the parking lot (many of you probably saw us).

Another problem was the lack of ability to have personal campfires...while this wasn't TOO much of a problem (we planned ahead), it would be nice to be able to have your own fire to enjoy...that's a HUGE part of camping (and since I don't drink, I'd rather NOT visit the host sites...not that you guys are BAD or anything...just not my idea of fun).

I can't WAIT to get out there and enjoy all the great cache experiences, share our "tall-tales" and meet new cache friends!!