Streets and Trips Locator

Hi everyone,

This question is pretty basic but here goes: A friend gave me a new registrable Streets and Trips CD. The only problem is that it was "just" Streets and Trips and it didn't have the GPS Locator. The locator that comes with the full package is a Pharos 360 USB GPS receiver. I know you can purchase them (the GPS) separately but are there any alternatives that would be just as good and a lot cheaper? Thanks. :P

P.S. I currently use a Garmin eTrex Vista which will not talk to Streets and Trips.

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

Spanner might be what you're looking for. It works for me.

Spanner can't be used with the GPSmap 60CSx, can it? I've been trying to do the same thing as Konnarock Kid but haven't been able to find the right setting. I just broke down and bought Garmins' MapSource City Navigator North America NT... If there is a way to use my 60CSx, I'll return the software (haven't opened it yet.)

Konnarock, did you have luck with spanner?

Thanks Everyone :-)

WBF617

Howard

I have been using my Vista and my 60CSX with Streets and Trips since I bought them. I am using no extra software. You need to get a serial cable for your devices. Both support NMEA output, which is needed by Streets and Trips. Works great! I use it on the airplane when I travel.

Hi Puddlewalker,

My current cable for the etrex is a serial (comes with it). Can I get a serial to USB adapter in order to connect it to my laptop and did it plug and play or do you have to make some setting changes? Thanks. ;)

What version is it?

Also to talk to S&T I'm prett sure your Vista interface needs to be set to NMEA IN/NMEA OUT. Did you try that?

Hi Bluedeuce,

My Streets and Trips is version 2006. My etrex connects to my computer via a serial cable. Can I use an adapter to convert the serial end to USB? Thanks. ;)

Yes but you have to be careful which one you buy as the first serial to usb converter I got for the Etrex yellow wouldn't work. I bought another one at newegg after doing more research (read the user reviews there they are very good) and it works like a charm. We have Streets and Trips too and hook the etrex up now without a problem to the laptop

I have been using my Vista and my 60CSX with Streets and Trips since I bought them. I am using no extra software. You need to get a serial cable for your devices. Both support NMEA output, which is needed by Streets and Trips. Works great! I use it on the airplane when I travel.

Hi Puddlewalker,

My current cable for the etrex is a serial (comes with it). Can I get a serial to USB adapter in order to connect it to my laptop and did it plug and play or do you have to make some setting changes? Thanks. :D

Yes, you can get an adapter at any electronic store. That is exactly what I have done. Works great.

I have no problem using a serial to usb adapter with my etrex venture & ms streets and trips. The adapter that use is an iogear. It comes with a driver and I haven't had any problems. Click on the link to view the adapter.http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GUC232A

Thanks to everyone for your help. Geopenguins, your adapter solution looks reliable and cost effective. I will probably go that route. :P

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

you could try the Delorme Earthmate GPS it comes with software for 99 bucks. Or like you said you can get the Pharos GPS for 99 bucks as well from the Pharos website. I have the locater from S&T and use it with the Delorme street atlas program. It works great for me. I don't geocache but I am in field service and cover and entire state so it finds address pretty good, haven't had any problems yet. I also have a Vista Cx I got for hunting this fall, so I really haven't had a chance to use that much yet. Also you can get other GPS locators including the Pharos on Ebay.