The degree confluence project

wilboy

I have just been perusing a website called The degree confluence project. I don't remember why or how I got there, but it is certainly something for us geocachers. I will let the website explain itself and what the purpose is. I am hoping I can do 49N,123W. It is just off Point Roberts and Tsawassen in the middle of Mudbay. Wilboy

I have just been perusing a website called The degree confluence project. I don't remember why or how I got there, but it is certainly something for us geocachers. I will let the website explain itself and what the purpose is. I am hoping I can do 49N,123W. It is just off Point Roberts and Tsawassen in the middle of Mudbay. Wilboy

This used to be discussed quite often in the forums. I think the novelty wore off a bit once most of the confluences in populated areas had been visited. The challenge was to be the first person to document a visit to the confluence. Sort of like an old locationless cache. I'd prefer Waymarking, where the first visitor writes up the page, but then future visitors can log their experience, too.

Come to think of it, nothing says that confluences couldn't be a Waymarking category...

For the best stories, do a search for posts by JamieZ and using confluence as the keyword. His trip to China was especially memorable. Maybe he'll see this thread!

I have a puzzle cache that starts at the local degree confluence. It's a cache in honor of Century finds (100th, 200th, 1,000th, etc.).

The cache is a puzzle where you have to solve some "easy" puzzles to get the coordinates for the first stage, and this is at the local confluence. I think a lot of people miss the "ending in all zeros" connection between the confluence coordinates and a century find, and therefore a few people end up trying to find the first stage at 34°00.000 84°00.100 (or something similar).