Has your GPS ever been VERY wrong

Last weekend I was in SE Ohio (around N 39 33, W 82 30) but when I turned on my GPS (Garmin Legend) it thought I was around S 33, W 169 (NE of New Zealand). It had at least 3 satellites and reasonable accuracy. I turned it off and on and it recognized where I was.

Anybody else ever have this happen? I've been geocaching for 4 years and this was a first for me.

Last weekend I was in SE Ohio (around N 39 33, W 82 30) but when I turned on my GPS (Garmin Legend) it thought I was around S 33, W 169 (NE of New Zealand). It had at least 3 satellites and reasonable accuracy. I turned it off and on and it recognized where I was.

Anybody else ever have this happen? I've been geocaching for 4 years and this was a first for me.

:huh: that's funny! My daughter's did that when it "lost itself" but she got it fixed. That was long long ago. No remembrance in these brain cells of the why or the fix, sorry but... did you find the cache? :P

A few years ago, my GPS showed me as being near Worcester, MA (near my old stompng grounds) when in fact, I was near Rochester, NY. It also showed my average speed as more than 900 MPH, and that was in a 6-cyl. Jeep - if I had been driving a Hemi back then, maybe it would have been a bit more believable :huh:. The first chance I got, I called Garmin tech support, and they advised me to send the unit in under warranty for replacement. The new one showed up and I never had that problems again.

Several months later, there was some discussion here about this sort of rare and odd occurrence; seems that it can happen, even if the GPS is not faulty/defective..... not sure of the exact reason. Maybe somebody here can recall the details and better explain this concept.

I've had it happen a couple times, both while the unit was in the first stages of acquiring satellite reception. None was quite so dramatic though. The best for me was when the unit decided I was in Ontario, and plotted a short track log several hundred miles northwest of my actual location before figuring out that I was actually located in Michigan. I forget what speed it logged, but it was in the hundreds of miles per hour.

Edited by andylphoto