Waymarking.com 2.0 Preview!

are GPX downloads on the horizion?

Another thread mentioned LOC files, then GPX, once the site redesign had been completed and implemented.

I like the tabs being at the top, helps allow for bigger pages w/o the nav bar on the left. :laughing:

edit to add the link to the post that answers the LOC and "when" questions.

Edited by robert

Really like the newly proposed layout. Especially the "Post Card" feel to the top corner... that to me captures the escence of Waymarking!

Question: Will the "Post Card Image" be added by using the "Set as Default" command from the Gallery?

and it wouldn't be me without....

Suggestion: There is 'dead space' to the right of the coordinates... can we get little icons shoved in there for "Download LOC", "Download GPX", "Add to Bookmark List" to name a few? Or somewhere?

:laughing: The Blue Quasar

Looks good. I wonder what good changes will be on the submission page and my waymarks page.

We haven't looked at the submission page as much, but the My Waymarks page will have the sorting you've always wanted. Category and Group edits will be performed on a more intuitive "tabbed" page for the different type of edits (category settings, group ranks, variables, etc).

does this mean no more beta? is there a prospective date for this occasion?

No decision yet on whether it will come out of beta. We'll probably let you guys decide that after you play with the new version. We're hoping to have it in production by the beginning of next month.

Really like the newly proposed layout. Especially the "Post Card" feel to the top corner... that to me captures the escence of Waymarking!

Question: Will the "Post Card Image" be added by using the "Set as Default" command from the Gallery?

Yep.

and it wouldn't be me without....

Suggestion: There is 'dead space' to the right of the coordinates... can we get little icons shoved in there for "Download LOC", "Download GPX", "Add to Bookmark List" to name a few? Or somewhere?

;) The Blue Quasar

Finding space for the icons is not really what's holding up that feature, but that's a good suggestion! ;)

mtn-man Posted Today, 08:39 AM

I got a live preview while visiting froggy central last week. I was VERY impressed. Nice work lackeys.

So unfair :(

Geocaching volunteer reviews get to see sneak peeks... even though they don't have any authority in Waymarking...

What is this company coming to? :P

So, OpinioNate... when can I start nagging you about a Groundspeak super site again? I've got lots of ideas to keep you employed for a few years. :D

:P The Blue Quasar

OpinioNate

post Today, 11:08 AM

Post #14

Groundspeak Lackey

(The Blue Quasar @ Aug 13 2006, 12:01 PM) *

So, OpinioNate... when can I start nagging you about a Groundspeak super site again? I've got lots of ideas to keep you employed for a few years. tongue_animated.gif

cool.gif The Blue Quasar

We're always open to new ideas. You know that. big_smile.gif

It might be better to wait till the beta test part has passed. I'm still trying to promote the idea of Groundspeak.com becoming the Member Account feature area, while Geocaching.com and Waymarking.com become exclusively used for listing sites.

I don't know if that would help, or steamline, or just be a useful re-org. Maybe it would be pointless, or confusing.

Perhaps if I sat down myself, and goofed around with some kind of proposal, tossed it over to you to either say "Nope... you're wasting your time" or "Hmmm, well maybe... but there is a lot more to it than you've thought of.", or "Eventually if we feel this is needed."

But until Waymarking 2.0 is lauched and has completed the beta test, it would be best to see what is developed. But then again, what do I know ? (don't answer!) :)

:) The Blue Quasar

any more teasing we can get?

nice looking map. i wonder what the differences in the 'waterfall' map and 'Waymarking map' will be.

i would venture to offer that a 'supersite' is unnecessary, but some sort of official linkage between the sites would be helpful--for instance: try getting to my Waymarking profile from these Waymarking forum posts. when i attempt to look at user profiles (WM.com) from the user name links, i get the GC.com profiles. this probably revolves around the 'lack of a Waymarking forum "home"' though.

I'm still trying to promote the idea of Groundspeak.com becoming the Member Account feature area, while Geocaching.com and Waymarking.com become exclusively used for listing sites.

We've been talking about this for some time now. It is, however, an extremely large project so it will take time. We have some other major upgrades to do that before then.

Thanks for the reply Jeremy!

I can well imagine that it would a HUGE job. And with the occational 'negative feedback' :laughing: you guys have received about some previous decisions you've made for the GOOD of the games, this one will be interesting.

For what it's worth, you guys have made good decisions on alterations, even when some people haven't agreed. Sometimes the hard decisions have to be made. You can't please everyone all the time. Sometimes you have to make the change to be able to move forward.

But yes, I can sure see why that suggestion would be a long process to implement.

I'm glad to see that you guys are entertaining it, even if it a few years away. As Groundspeak grows, it may be inevitable. As are the discussions between those agreed and opposed.

:lol: The Blue Quasar

Everything looks great so far and can not wait for the release. I hope the new site will re-size the "my page". Side scrolling is a pain.

Not sure what you mean by this, unless your screen resolution really low. In any case, the new format removes the left column so you shouldn't have any issues.

Everything looks great so far and can not wait for the release. I hope the new site will re-size the "my page". Side scrolling is a pain.

Not sure what you mean by this, unless your screen resolution really low. In any case, the new format removes the left column so you shouldn't have any issues.

It is the map that drtmn has on his profile page. It is too big. Being as big as it is, it makes the page oversized so you have to scroll to the side to see the whole profile. My map on my profile page makes mine do the same thing.

It is the map that drtmn has on his profile page. It is too big. Being as big as it is, it makes the page oversized so you have to scroll to the side to see the whole profile. My map on my profile page makes mine do the same thing.

Oh, I see. Well the new Waymarking.com update won't affect the geocaching.com layout so resizing your map is the best bet.

Oh, I see. Well the new Waymarking.com update won't affect the geocaching.com layout so resizing your map is the best bet.

the profile (click on my name to see that page) is the same page on both sites....updating one changes the other.....another reason we all would like them to be officially linked to each other...so we can go from on to the other at a click....

Thanks for tip mtn-man, I did not think about the map being to big. I had resized it for the gc.com page until I got it where I wanted it.

In any case, the new format removes the left column so you shouldn't have any issues.

Thats good news! Keep up the great works guys. Looking fwd. to the release.

Whatever. I'm glad you're having fun with the page layouts, but there's basic functionality missing still.

I've worked at making Waymarking part of my geocaching experience. I've characterized it as "GeoCaching is still the Meat, Waymarking is the Potatoes" - and have argued locally that Waymarking is a positive addition to geocaching. I have a Waymarking T-shirt and I wear it to events, at much risk to life and limb. My local community refers to me as "waymarkin' WalruZ" and mostly scoffs, although there are a few converts.

The scoffers argue that they won't even consider it without a pocket query equivalent.

As far as I'm concerned, if I could ask for any one thing, it would be a "filter out visited waymarks" checkbox. I am over 300 visits, and without that it is becoming hard to find the newly added waymarks in the long list of what I've already visited. I can live with everything else, but that is my pain point right now.

does this mean no more beta? is there a prospective date for this occasion?

No decision yet on whether it will come out of beta. We'll probably let you guys decide that after you play with the new version. We're hoping to have it in production by the beginning of next month.

it has been a month, and it is almost halfway through 'that month'.

we could at least have a weekly teaser or something.....

Okay okay, here you go.

In case it's not immediately obvious, the large image in the middle is what happens when you mouse-over the smaller images. This screen capture was taken a couple weeks ago so there will be some small changes such as a date submitted below the image.

As for our delayed update... stop making feature suggestions! :laughing:

Such as:

As far as I'm concerned, if I could ask for any one thing, it would be a "filter out visited waymarks" checkbox.

PS: The "Search Location" feature at the top right will also filter image results. e.g. You can enter "Paris, France" and see all Nature images near there!

Edited by OpinioNate

i like the rollover balloons. and can the search apply to more than locations? what about variable searching/election to display?

i think 'our' issue with this process is this 'major' overhaul.....otherwise we have been getting bits and pieces along the way. for months now, everything has been included in this update. we have had nothing but new categories....

As for our delayed update... stop making feature suggestions! :antenna:

Such as:

As far as I'm concerned, if I could ask for any one thing, it would be a "filter out visited waymarks" checkbox.

It's a fairly reasonable request. I'm not asking to rework the way things get logged, or implement a new XML schema, just a checkbox that supresses the display of waymarks I've already visited.

The Geocaching site can do that.