Virtuals

Browser

I know Virtuals are a bit contentious and that when all's said and done, it's only a game, but...

I have two Virtual caches on a Greek island and today received two e-mails claiming finds.

The first cache is inside a castle and requires the seeker to enter and find a turret to gain the answer to a question, then e-mail the answer to me. The description advises that the castle is closed on Mondays.

Claim 1 :

Hi,

we are currently in #######. Went to ##### but it was closed

and we only had the hire car for the day...I am assuming the answer is ####

as the is the the town, really enjoyed looking tround the town

anuway and had a cold beer at The Kastro..

Let me know if we can log this as a find..

Cheers

######

The second cache is on the highest point of the island and requires the seeker to e-mail the date on the survey point there to claim a find.

Claim 2 :

Hi, sorry to bother you again, just wondering if I can log #### as

well...

We got to the parking spot but it was a scorching day and didn't want

to take XXX & YYYY all the way up in the heat. I would have took the

hire car up but for some reason my wife was against this..

Cheers

#######

Now I'm not having a personal dig at anyone and I really don't want to point the finger (that's not the point of this post), But would any of you have allowed these claims ?

Browser

I know Virtuals are a bit contentious and that when all's said and done, it's only a game, but...

I have two Virtual caches on a Greek island and today received two e-mails claiming finds.

The first cache is inside a castle and requires the seeker to enter and find a turret to gain the answer to a question, then e-mail the answer to me. The description advises that the castle is closed on Mondays.

Claim 1 :

Hi,

Cheers

######

The second cache is on the highest point of the island and requires the seeker to e-mail the date on the survey point there to claim a find.

Claim 2 :

well...

Cheers

#######

Now I'm not having a personal dig at anyone and I really don't want to point the finger (that's not the point of this post), But would any of you have allowed these claims ?

Browser

That's a simple one. No correct confirmation info = no find.

a.

Claim 1 :

Hi,

Cheers

######

Claim 2 :

well...

Cheers

#######

Browser

That's a simple one. No correct confirmation info = no find.

a.

Totally agree.

On the first one; if they convinced me that there was no possible way for them to visit on any other day but Monday (say, they are on holiday but going home that day), I might be lenient and allow it - but I'd ask them to edit the log so others don't try it on.

I agree with everyone... but I'm glad I don't own a virtual.

It must make the owner feel like a miserable sod to deny logs to people, even if their claims are clearly spurious.

After all, if your significant other had dragged you off on holiday to a place with almost no caches (surely that couldn't be deliberate, could it), and the virtual was your only chance to get a new country on your list, you'd really really want it to be wllooed, wouldn't you? :huh:

.... do this once and others will follow the example.

Must agree on that, the whole point of a virtual is that you need to see and prove that you have actually seen the thing/information/..., otherwise I could sit here and trawl through a list of virtuals while googling in another window. As it says:

A virtual cache is a cache that exists in a form of a location. Depending on the cache "hider," a virtual cache could be to answer a question about a location, an interesting spot, a task, etc. The reward for these caches is the location itself and sharing information about your visit.

Because of the nature of these geocaches, you must actually visit the location and acquire the coordinates there before you can post. In addition, although many locations are interesting, a virtual cache should be out of the ordinary enough to warrant logging a visit.

Another nail in the coffin - I'd not allow either to be logged as a find. I might have let A go if I'd not had the not about it being closed on Mondays on the page. You did, so it's their own fault they had a wasted journey. At least in terms of finds. I own a Virtual too and hate being firm with people who've got the question/s wrong, but it has to be done. If you bend the rules that far today, tomorrow it'll be tupperware in the streets and anarchy!

Hmmm.... can see both sides of this one. I think if it was me, it would depend if they have been able to log any other caches whilst on holiday, assuming they haven't, I think I'd allow the first one providing they could post a photo showing them at the castle. As for the second, they haven't actually been to the point in question, so I don't think I would.

We were at the castle in September 2004 but unfortunately six months before we started geocaching. We have plenty of pictures of us sans GPSr in the castle but it just wouldn't feel right to try and log a find on this one.

Since the castle is visible from quite a distance perhaps allowing logs from people who drove past it might follow?

They were decent enough to send you a polite enquiry rather than actually logging a find. I'd politely invite them to log a DNF or Note for both: it's only a game, so it doesn't really matter whether they get a smiley or not. So they may as well submit the most suitable type of log - "Found it" doesn't really describe what they did.

As they failed to supply the required proof of visit (good excuse or not), they'll surely appreciate that attempting to claim a find is just taking it all a bit too seriously!

HH

Thanks to all who answered - I don't feel quite so heartless now ;)

From your replies I think that I may have asked the wrong question :

Not "Would any of you have allowed these claims ?"

but "How many of you would have claimed these caches under the same circumstances ?"

Regards

Browser

Well, with the first one, I'd also have a good look around, try and get as close as possible to the co-ords (That's why you've brought us to the virtual), and if I couldn't get the answer, I'd email asking if you could let me log it.

With the second one, if I couldn't be bothered / didn't want to drag the kids up the hill in the heat, I wouldn't even dream of logging it - I'd post a note.

Well, with the first one, I'd also have a good look around, try and get as close as possible to the co-ords (That's why you've brought us to the virtual), and if I couldn't get the answer, I'd email asking if you could let me log it.

With the second one, if I couldn't be bothered / didn't want to drag the kids up the hill in the heat, I wouldn't even dream of logging it - I'd post a note.

Yep , what he said :D

Cave Troll

Claim 1 :

Hi,

EEK - didn't we do that exact same thing at THAT cache in 2004 or was it 2005 :D