Cache Maintainance

lakeuk

Noticed a cache I visited last year 'Don't Get Stumped' has become temporary unavailable due to the reviewers concern on whether the cache owner is in a position to maintain the cache if/when required - I'm sure the cache was original placed by a reviewer last year, but the current guy has caches all over the place (moving off track now)

Anyway this has got me thinking, what do people consider a reasonable distance to maintain their own cache in a reasonable time upon being notified of a problem/query.

On similar lines (and I know it's really none of my business) but I'm always intrigued by the owner of this cache and how he gets time to maintain his other caches:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

I guess that's why he's a pilot!

Helodriver is a USAF transpor pilot based in California and has a couple of great caches around those two medium sized American towns Mildenhall & Lakenheath. If you ever get the chance to do Planespotter on Spy Corner take it. You'll notice that although he has caches from Afganistan to New Mexico they are all close to USAF bases; and he does visit and maintain his caches to a good standard.

As regards the how far do you consider is a reasonable distance to maintain your own cache I don't look further than 100km in planning caches that I will maintain personnaly, and indeed the three most distant local caches I set I then passed them on to fellow cachers who lived more locally as a Christmas present :huh: I do have a couple which are nearlt 600 miles from home by road but I have a local cacher who looks after them and has a large sealed envelope with detailed written & pictorial *spoilers* in case emergency maintenace is required - they're not the sort of cache he likes; reasonable walk, no puzzles to solve nice picnic spot near the cache).

Edited by Jango & Boba Fett

Hmmm..... Must say I'm a little confused by this. The logs are all positive, no reported problems with the cache, it was found a mere fortnight since by a responsible, experienced cacher and the owner logged into the site yesterday.

The guidelines state:

As the cache owner, you are also responsible for physically checking your cache periodically, and especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.). You may temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to hunt for it until you have a chance to fix the problem. This feature is to allow you a reasonable time – normally a few weeks – in which to arrange a visit to your cache. In the event that a cache is not being properly maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an extended period of time, we may archive or transfer the listing.

If this is the way things are going, then it's a sad day. I reckon the quickest I could get to any of my caches and back is around 53 hours. So, I suppose it's time to put my caches to bed and acccept that given I am never in one place for three months, I can't place any more.

Keen cache watchers will have noticed that the cache in question is now back in action thanks to a friendly explanation from the owner. There's more to this "job" than just reviewing new caches and quite a bit of "action" takes place behind the scenes, much of which never becomes public.

In the case of cache maintenance, there are no hard and fast rules. As a general rule if a new cache is within 50 miles of the owner's home location it is assumed to be OK. Outside that we will probably ask about maintenance plans. If you are willing and able to sort out problems with a cache within a "reasonable" time there is no distance limit. What is "reasonable"? It all depends. If a cache is in a high traffic area and gets several visits a week, then we might think a shorter reaction time more appropriate than for a remote cache that only gets visited every few months.

I would say that a reaction time of 53 hours is WELL within anything we might consider appropriate so no worries there! :P

We like to go by the rule that as long as we can cycle to a cache to maintain it should we happen to be without a vehicle then thats a good enough distance away. Being without a vehicle has happened to us for several long periods of time and during one of those periods we cycled from home to Luton airport in a day, a trip of 112 miles to go on a cycling holiday.

So inside 50 miles would be a good rule of thumb. :P

I think 50 miles is a liberal and adequate distance.For me it is time rather than distance.

I am in West London and I keep to caches N/NW/SW and W of where I live as going East can take an age.

My brother lives SE but it takes 1.5 hours on the road to his place yet he is only 20 odd miles away.

I see him rarely except when we meet up centrally.As long as he buys me a pint. :P