Forum Censorship

Let me begin by saying that I feel that this post would be better served in the GeoCoin Discussion board, because that is where this issue originated, but as directed by the moderator, I am posting it here in one of the General Forums, and I felt that this one was as good as any.

Yesterday, I created a new thread to comment on what I felt was an overstep by a moderator, and, as a result, my thread was closed and I received the following message:

Please do not open a new thread for topics that have been closed.

Your post referring to Team 360's post and link to his profile have been removed.

If you wish to discuss the moderators, or thier actions, feel free to do so in the General Forums, but do NOT link to material that was removed for being offensive, whether you agree or not.

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.

- FSM

And so, as the Flying Spaghetti Monster stated, I would like to discuss the Moderator's actions.

I understand that this is meant to be a family friendly website, but the posts in question were hardly offensive in my opinion. I'm not allowed to link to them, but based on the info from FSMs message to me, you can probably find that discussion and even an image of said offensive coin. If you can't find em, PM me and I'd be happy to privately tell you where you can find them.

So, my question is, who determines what's offensive and what isn't. I'll bet ya that most of ya on any given night tune into watch Leno, Letterman, or any number of comedians that regularly crack jokes about the topic in question. And I'd bet my bottom dollar that most of ya laugh at those jokes as hard as I do. So why can't we have a little laugh about it here too? People need to lighten up and laugh a little.

I will also admit that I posted an image on another thread that was deemed offensive and removed, and for that I do apologize. But I would also ask, why is it that a picture of a squirrell with rather large cojones is removed, howver, posts talking about cojones, etc., and even linking to outside sites discussing the definition of cojones is not also censored?

After all that babbling, I guess my question is, why are different posters treated differently? The Forum Guidelines say that whether a person has 1 post or 5,000 posts, they should be treated the same, but I don't see that happening here.

Discuss.

P.S. Team 360 was originally given a 3 day suspension by FSM, followed by an indefinite suspension from the forums imposed by Jeremy. Personally, I feel that it is unfortunate that he can't be a part of this discussion.

Hard to define in any definitive way - but most of us know it when we see it.

Having said that - TPTB and moderators probably know it when they see it without any written directions. Without seeing the referenced materials - sounds like it should have been locked. IMHO.

Edited by StarBrand

Having said that - TPTB and moderators probably know it when they see it without any written directions. Without seeing the referenced materials - sounds like it should have been locked. IMHO.

ANd just how can you draw that conclusion without even having SEEN the referenced materials?

Stripes, sorry I can't formulate an intelligent answer to your question, but I'm not familiar with the issues. All I can offer are generalities;

This is their playground. They make the rules to fit their needs. The Powers That Be have created these forums, so they get to decide how people play in them. You have the right to create your own forums if you don't like how TPTB run this one. That may come off sounding callous and even sarcastic, but it's not intended to be. I like posting the occasional "snarky" or off color comment as my sense of humor sees fit, and since I'm doing so in someone else's playground, I have no doubt that I'm gonna get spanked some day. When that day comes, I'll patiently await my chance to return. Just call me a forum addict. :anitongue:

I remember a while back someone posted a photo of a fat man in a speedo, viewed riding a bicycle from the rear. Would you want your kids to see that. Sure it's funny, but gross and offensive as well. It was removed by the Mods. I'd rather miss out on some funny stuff than see these forums go to pot with obscene and vulgar posts, jokes, and images. You know if you let people have an inch they will take a mile.

I'm glad this place is Moderated, and at the current level. I like seeing a nice, organized, discussion board where I don't have to worry much about seeing something offensive.

ANd just how can you draw that conclusion without even having SEEN the referenced materials?

I've seen it, and many, many other things as well. It's their site, so it's their rules, but I don't think I have ever seen censorship on anything that wasn't questionable. (it's usually outright unaccpectable. Were you here for the attack a couple months ago?)

Let me begin by saying that I feel that this post would be better served in the GeoCoin Discussion board, because that is where this issue originated, but as directed by the moderator, I am posting it here in one of the General Forums, and I felt that this one was as good as any.

[snip]

P.S. Team 360 was originally given a 3 day suspension by FSM, followed by an indefinite suspension from the forums imposed by Jeremy. Personally, I feel that it is unfortunate that he can't be a part of this discussion.

I was lucky enough to see the image in question, and I laughed my head off. It certainly beat the endless discussions on why micros stink. I think team360 should actually make it into a geocoin. It would be cool!

Edited by Sioneva

I remember a while back someone posted a photo of a fat man in a speedo, viewed riding a bicycle from the rear. Would you want your kids to see that. Sure it's funny, but gross and offensive as well. It was removed by the Mods. I'd rather miss out on some funny stuff than see these forums go to pot with obscene and vulgar posts, jokes, and images. You know if you let people have an inch they will take a mile.

I'm glad this place is Moderated, and at the current level. I like seeing a nice, organized, discussion board where I don't have to worry much about seeing something offensive.

Based on your description, I Would agree that was offensive and didn't belong. I even admit that an image I posted yesterday probably didn't belong, and was appropriately removed, however, similar posts that used text to describe what I used an image for were NOT censored.

The image removal that I am discussing was hardly offensive. Politically incorrect, perhaps. Just to give a little description of it, it's basically a hack on illegal immigrants from mexico, and it shows 3 people running along with a geocache in their hand.

I've seen it, and many, many other things as well. It's their site, so it's their rules, but I don't think I have ever seen censorship on anything that wasn't questionable. (it's usually outright unaccpectable. Were you here for the attack a couple months ago?)

What attack was that? I think I Must have missed it.

I think I have a pretty high tolerance level for objectionable material. I laugh at non-PC stuff all the time, I don't however feel the need to post that to this forum. Just because I don't find it objectionable doesn't mean that it's okay to post.

For such swift action to have been taken I'm sure the mods must have received several complaints.

I enjoy certain adult behaviours outside of geocaching that I don't want to see here. There's a time and a place for everything. Comparing behaviour here to watching Leno or Richard Pryor doesn't work - I choose to watch neither of them, and have the ability to choose not to turn them on.

Here, if I want to follow a thread I have no choice but read every post. 'If you don't like it, don't read it' doesn't apply in a forum, as all participants must first read it before knowing if they'll like it.

That means that posts have to be moderated in an attempt to maintain an atmosphere that appeals to the largest percentage of the audience as well as to the management.

While I can speak for neither group, it is my belief that the largest audience and the management want these forums to be G-Rated, like in the movies, unoffensive to the General public.

As to why some folks are treated differently, I believe that there are favored posters here... folks are not treated equally, but it has more to do with your history in the game and these forums, and your relationship with the Reviewers and Moderators, than it does find or post count. It's not fair, but that's life - the same inequality exists in your church or workplace. Certain personalities and patterns of behaviour are simply more (or less) attractive than others and will always be treated differently.

I too have spoken out when I thought Moderation was heavy-handed, sometimes I was right, sometimes wrong, but almost always shut down - TPTB aren't very tolerant of public criticism, and it is their playground.

On the other hand, it takes a Moderator with judgement, powers and the authority to use them to keep a place like this in line. We are simply too large and diverse a population to police ourselves, so Moderators have to do it. Trust me, I have been a forum moderator on other sites, and it is a thankless but required role.

On the whole I think our Mods are doing a wonderful job and I fel quite comfortable with my son and daughter reading them. That is as it should be.

All I can add is that there really is a big difference in reading the written word "cojones" and seeing an actual picture of "cojones'. (I've seen the pic before and thought it was, uh, tacky. Perhaps not having any cojones myself predisposes me to be disgusted by them :anitongue: )

Anyway, a picture is worth a thousand words, eh?

because we nominate Moderators we think can do a good job and allow them to do it. You can't give a person a job and second-guess their every move, you have to trust them to do the job as they see fit.

I may occassionally disagree but I trust them to do their best to look out for all our interests.

While I can speak for neither group, it is my belief that the largest audience and the management want these forums to be G-Rated, like in the movies, unoffensive to the General public.

A post that talks about "cojones" and LINKS TO AN OUTSIDE SOURCE describing them in more detail hardly keeps the forums "G-Rated."

Discuss.

Here's an update. Not only was he suspended from the forums, he's now a Banned Member.

Team 360 touched on a topic that requires a very thick skin to be indifferent to. It's something that polarizes people, like religion, especially in certain parts of the U.S. People will either get offended, or laugh in agreement.

I have no problem if the thread was locked and the link removed, because there is enough information (and references) to figure out what it was all about. I didn't react too strongly, because my opinion is that blame and mockery should be directed at the business and political leaders. :anitongue:

As to what happened to Team 360, that's between him and TPTB. I wonder if the outcome would have been different had he posted in the Off Topic forums?

Because I generally trust the mods...

...that and your general description.

As to what happened to Team 360, that's between him and TPTB. I wonder if the outcome would have been different had he posted in the Off Topic forums?

That is a great question, and quite honestly, one I wondered about myself. If that's the case, perhaps the thread could have just been moved?

I'd love for the mods to weigh in on this issue at any time. I would like to thank you for not locking this thread and allowing this discussion to proceed as it has. Feel free to add any insights you'd like to.

Not knowing anything about this issue I was able to do a quick peak and shame shame, don't have to search too hard. Sometimes it is fun to swat a hornets nest and sometimes it's fun to get stung.

looks like the bees went away :anitongue: thank you :anitongue:

Edited by bogleman

I'd love for the mods to weigh in on this issue at any time. I would like to thank you for not locking this thread and allowing this discussion to proceed as it has. Feel free to add any insights you'd like to.

I have asked the moderators not to post to this topic. This issue is between Team360 and Groundspeak and will not be addressed in a public forum. I can assure you, however, that we are doing what we believe to be in the best interests of the geocaching community, as we always do.

So, my question is, who determines what's offensive and what isn't.

Interested geocachers who have shown an ability to make good judgement and behave properly in the forums. For giving their time overseeing spam attacks, watching out for personal flames and closing the interminable "test" threads they receive some t-shirts and hats, the ocassional Jeep travel bug and a monthly envelope containing bupkus.

I've been censored and barred. I've also got away with a lot. I've also gone to a lot of forums with little or no moderating and I like this one best.

Edited by Torry

Interested geocachers who have shown an ability to make good judgement and behave properly in the forums. For giving their time overseeing spam attacks, watching out for personal flames and closing the interminable "test" threads they receive some t-shirts and hats, the ocassional Jeep travel bug and a monthly envelope containing bupkus.

I've been censored and barred. I've also got away with a lot. I've also gone to a lot of forums with little or no moderating and I like this one best.

Thanks, Torry. There will be a little extra bupkus in your envelope this month. :anitongue:

Oh, wait. You don't get the monthly envelopes, do you. Nevermind. :anitongue:

I have asked the moderators not to post to this topic. This issue is between Team360 and Groundspeak and will not be addressed in a public forum. I can assure you, however, that we are doing what we believe to be in the best interests of the geocaching community, as we always do.

Jeremy--

I was not looking for you to comment on the specifics of the issues with Team 360. What I would like to hear is some epxlanation as to why similar posts are not treated the same, specifically, my image, which I admit was in bad taste and should have been removed, was removed, but a text post dealing with the same matter, and linking to equally offensive material from another site, was NOT censored?

I was not looking for you to comment on the specifics of the issues with Team 360. What I would like to hear is some epxlanation as to why similar posts are not treated the same, specifically, my image, which I admit was in bad taste and should have been removed, was removed, but a text post dealing with the same matter, and linking to equally offensive material from another site, was NOT censored?

Nobody's perfect.

Jeremy--

Perhaps the moderator was trying to respect your wish to allow those who were truly interested in the item or image or information to access it while insuring that those who might be casually viewing the thread would not have to see it. Rather like the paper wrapper around the Penthouse magazines in the convenience store. If you are truly interested you can pick it up and check it out... if you're walking by with your kid neither of you need to see it.

Seems like the moderators were giving you a break by allowing you to present what you admit was an item in poor taste. Pretty nice of them, if you ask me.

Edited by Torry

What I would like to hear is some epxlanation as to why similar posts are not treated the same, specifically, my image, which I admit was in bad taste and should have been removed, was removed, but a text post dealing with the same matter, and linking to equally offensive material from another site, was NOT censored?

Probably lack of omnipresence.

If you're offended with a post, use that handy report button. We're only mere mortals.

I've been in these forums longer than most of you and I've never seen unfair censorship. What I have seen is a very dedicated and tolerant group of Moderaters. Team 360 has been around almost as long as I have and he knows the limits. The problem is that he likes to push the limit. He reminds me of Sept1c_tank who finally pushed it too far, and is now banned, only not as bad.

You also need to keep in mind that Moderaters are more apt to come down harder on repeat offenders and ones that have been around long enough to know better. I've some Moderaters in person and consider them friends. That didn't stop them from slapping my hand when I needed it.

As to Team 360 being banned....you don't know what was being said in an exchange of emails and PM's, and I assure you from personal experience there were exchanges being made.

Keep up the good work Moderaters the majority of us support you!

El Diablo

I can only assume that it was pretty bad to get banned. I'm sure he must have been warned and ingnored the warning. I agree that there were probably email messages exchanged regarding his issue before he was banned. I find it sad that things got to this point.

Too bad they don't have the warn meters activated. I've never got a PM from a mod but I'm sure that I've spiked my meter once or twice debating issues. Is there a list, or a way to see banned members?

afterthought-I saw the image too and got a good laugh out of it.

Edited by hikergps

Oh, they send you a PM. Trust me. :huh:

Not always. I went right from typing to a weeklong vacation without ever hearing why- although I suspect I know, I wasnt notifed. Thats alright tho, I've since learned a lesson.

What I would like to hear is some epxlanation as to why similar posts are not treated the same, specifically, my image, which I admit was in bad taste and should have been removed, was removed, but a text post dealing with the same matter, and linking to equally offensive material from another site, was NOT censored?

Probably lack of omnipresence.

If you're offended with a post, use that handy report button. We're only mere mortals.

I've seen and myself made links to other sites that may be deemed less than "family friendly", mostly because of language. I'll usually put a warning after the link stating a warning about its nature. Thanks to the warning, nobody ever clicked the "notify" button, so those posts went largely ignored by the mods.

Pictures embedded in posts are hard to ignore, and "surprise" links are as well, and those are what gets reported.

The mods may not catch every post, but if nobody clicks the button, or if the people who might be offended are able to figure out where the link goes and stays away, that's possibly why the linking post was not censored moderated.

The coin mod made it very clear it crossed the line. Not kinda, very much so.

What attack was that? I think I Must have missed it.

I'll tell you off line so not to derail.

The coin mod didn't make much of anything clear at all. The original thread is a worthless reference having had all material deleted. An image of the coin is (or is it was by now?) in Team360's profile. You can't figure out what happened, why it was shut down, why they got suspended from the forums, and so you can't figure out how to toe the line yourself.

I can say with full authority that FSM and Earth both use to much zeal at enforcing guidelines and in so doing create some of the angst they are trying to blot out. Yet though I can say that, what good is it if I can't point out the examples and say exactly why I think they tend to be overzealouse?

Based on experience though I can honestly say that any thread about a joke geocoin won't be tolerated. Except of course for the ones that are tolerated. I can't tell what makes one ok and one over the line.

I've been in these forums longer than most of you and I've never seen unfair censorship....

Having read you in these forums and The Sandbox, the proof that unfair censorship happens is quite simply that you still post and SepticTank is gone. I've seen you both at your worst and it's no contest. They got rid of the wrong person. (Mod note: The lack of cut and past evidence and the use of indirect references that the readers can look up if they choose, does push a guideline on citing examples and yet were I to post the material that had me form my opinion, I'd blow right past the guidelines...)

I have been harrassed over a post on why the Benchmarking forums are more tame than the general forums. Must have been a pre-emptive PM because my post was well within any bounds this site has set. As a general rule I have a very good idea when I'm pushing the line and I was nowhere near that line.

Edited by Renegade Knight

...Please do not open a new thread for topics that have been closed...

If I have the right topic in mind, it's one I posted too. The orginal topic was a joke coin thread. The next topic was a "What the heck happened" thread. Not a "Here is the joke coin thread again" topic. While we may or may not agree on if the topic should have been shut down, edited, and the account banned from posting privlidges we should at least be able to discuss it. I don't think your post should have been shut down. Hopefully this one will remain.

If I have the right topic in mind, it's one I posted too. The orginal topic was a joke coin thread. The next topic was a "What the heck happened" thread. Not a "Here is the joke coin thread again" topic. While we may or may not agree on if the topic should have been shut down, edited, and the account banned from posting privlidges we should at least be able to discuss it. I don't think your post should have been shut down. Hopefully this one will remain.

I brought this discussion to this forum because that's what Spaghetti Head told me to do. For that reason, I believe, this thread has been and will continue to be allowed to stay. I have invited the mods to come and express their opinions, but apparently Hitler, I mean Jeremy, (that was a Joke man, relax), by his own admission, has forbidden the rest of the mods from posting to this thread. Personally, I think that's unfortunate. Quite frankly, I think it would be better if they were allowed to come in here and say "Topics such as ________ are always forbidden." Or, "Feel free to make fun of (insert race of choice here) cause I happen to have friends who are (same race as before) and we joke like that together all the time.

I guess my biggest point is, the enforcement is not consistent. I filed my complaint about an extremely offensive post, and it is still there even though I know the mods are around cause I've seen them post/censor other posts/etc. since the time I filed my complaint.

I brought this discussion to this forum because that's what Spaghetti Head told me to do. For that reason, I believe, this thread has been and will continue to be allowed to stay. I have invited the mods to come and express their opinions, but apparently Hitler, I mean Jeremy, (that was a Joke man, relax), by his own admission, has forbidden the rest of the mods from posting to this thread. Personally, I think that's unfortunate. Quite frankly, I think it would be better if they were allowed to come in here and say "Topics such as ________ are always forbidden." Or, "Feel free to make fun of (insert race of choice here) cause I happen to have friends who are (same race as before) and we joke like that together all the time.

I guess my biggest point is, the enforcement is not consistent. I filed my complaint about an extremely offensive post, and it is still there even though I know the mods are around cause I've seen them post/censor other posts/etc. since the time I filed my complaint.

Calling the owner of the website Hitler as a joke is probably one of the things that will get your warn meter dinged.

Or worse.

Edited by Mopar

Jeremy isn't Hitler. He's a website owner that has set down guidelines and recruited people to help him maintain those guidelines. This is his sandbox. Play by his rules or go someplace else.

I get tired of people that complain about this site because they don't agree with how it's run. If you can make a better site...knock yourself out. You won't be the first to try or probably the last. This site has survived and is the top site for caching because of management, dedication, hard work, and the ability to operate for the majority rather than the minority.

The site isn't perfect, and isn't run by perfect people. It is however run by people that do what they think is best for the community overall.

I also wish the Moderaters could post here because you don't have a clue as to what they go through for little or no reward at all. These are your fellow cachers that have dedicated their time to make this an enjoyable experience for all. They have crawled out on a limb trying to good and hoping the malcontent doesn't saw it off behind them.

I could say more...but I would get in trouble for attacking. However I will accept PM's from anyone that disagrees with me. There you can say what you want just between us.

El Diablo

I also wish the Moderaters could post here because you don't have a clue as to what they go through for little or no reward at all. These are your fellow cachers that have dedicated their time to make this an enjoyable experience for all. They have crawled out on a limb trying to good and hoping the malcontent doesn't saw it off behind them.

I could say more...but I would get in trouble for attacking. However I will accept PM's from anyone that disagrees with me. There you can say what you want just between us.

El Diablo

Feel free to PM me any additional stuff you wanted to say. I'd love to hear it, and understand you not wanting to get in troubble.

Jeremy isn't Hitler. He's a website owner that has set down guidelines and recruited people to help him maintain those guidelines. This is his sandbox. Play by his rules or go someplace else.

I get tired of people that complain about this site because they don't agree with how it's run. If you can make a better site...knock yourself out. You won't be the first to try or probably the last. This site has survived and is the top site for caching because of management, dedication, hard work, and the ability to operate for the majority rather than the minority.

The site isn't perfect, and isn't run by perfect people. It is however run by people that do what they think is best for the community overall.

El Diablo

Good post.

I've been in these forums longer than most of you and I've never seen unfair censorship....

Having read you in these forums and The Sandbox, the proof that unfair censorship happens is quite simply that you still post and SepticTank is gone. I've seen you both at your worst and it's no contest. They got rid of the wrong person. (Mod note: The lack of cut and past evidence and the use of indirect references that the readers can look up if they choose, does push a guideline on citing examples and yet were I to post the material that had me form my opinion, I'd blow right past the guidelines...)

RK, without taking sides, I'll back you up as far as forum behavior in the now closed for good and up for sale "Sandbox" domain. Folks, he's tellin' it straight. They slung more than just mud in there.

While I never posted one word there, I lurked often because it was interesting to say the least to see how some people acted over there. Shocking is a nice adjective. I miss the old Sandbox for the eye opening facets into the character of some of our more well known members by the way they behaved over there and the masochism that brought them back time and again.