eTrex Legend problem

My Legend keeps telling me that it's been disconnected from its power source and will shut itself off in 30 seconds unless I press a button to continue. It seems to think that it was plugged into a power outlet, was unplugged, and doesn't have batteries in it. It often doesn't actually shut itself off, but it's unusable because I can't get the pop-up message to go away.

To my knowledge, I've never had this unit powered by anything other than batteries. I've had this problem crop up regardless of the type of battery I use. Turning the unit off and restarting it has no effect. I've tried cleaning the electrical contacts with no success. Taking the batteries out and replacing them has no effect.

Any ideas?

There is a setting in the Setup menu that tells the GPS what to do when disconnected from power. I have no idea why the Legend is doing that, but you should be able to go to the setup menu and set it not to power down when disconnected. Maybe someone with their Legend nearby can give you the key strokes.

I don't believe the standard Legend has the function, but for the C and above it's under setup/system set up.

(I haven't been out to the Garmin site for a while. I don't know that the Legend C, 60cs, 76cs are discontinued already. The good ol' Legend is still alive and kicking. Not surprised however)