live tracking with 60c

Two suggestions. First, if you have Palm device, make sure that Hotsync isn't running on the laptop. Hotsync is pretty notorious for grabbing more ports than it is using.

Second, you may want to reload the drivers for the 60C. Garmin is pretty finnicky about how they get installed. A good discussion is here. The latest drivers for the 60C are here.

Edited by Sputnik 57

Just tried to connect my 60c to my new laptop with metro canada and the program cannot recieve location from gps. All other functions ... tranfering maps and waypoints work fine. Anyone know what the problem may be?

Thanks Ken

Garmin has removed Real Time tracking from Mapsource. Garmin Tech Support says to download "nRoute" from their site.

Ed

Also, are you using USB cable or Serial cable? Live tracking (I believe) requires a serial cable hookup to support NMEA data transfer.

And as the previous poster said, recent versions of Mapsource won't do live tracking. Use nRoute.....it's free.

I have done live tracking (via nRoute) using USB, so it does work.

Edited by CenTexDodger

Two reasons for Garmin to force the use of nRoute:

1) Forces you to use only the GPS that was unlocked, when tracking on the Laptop, and nRoute will test the connection, and if you are using another GPS that has not been unlocked on your Laptop, it won't work.

2) More powerful routing ability, and probably better routing than the Map60C by itself.