help with Axim x51

After caching with me, my friend went out and bought a Axim x51 that has a GPS thinking to use it for geocaching as well as fill his PDA needs. However, the software it came with does not allow for coordinate input. I have seen on the forums that people do use this unit to geocache so our question is how? What software does he need?

(we know the gps works as he can put in addresses and get driving instructions, he just can't cache with it)

I have an x51, but not the Dell GPS package.

I think that the GPS option on an Axim can be used just like a standard (non-proprietary) GPSr on a serial port. If so, there's lots of other navigation software you can try. For something relatively cheap and simple, you can try out something like Cachemate with the Cachenav plugin or BeelineGPS to navigate to caches.

There's also a GPS section of the forums on aximsite.com that might be of help for software options.

Oh, and he's going to want to get a good protective case for that Axim. Handheld GPSr's are made to take a fair bit of the common abuse (dropping, dunking, etc.) that occurs during caching which would break a PDA.

Mapopolis is a voice and visual autonavigation system that allows creating waypoints using coordinates. Besides the street maps for routing, it has the compass rose, arrow, distance to waypoit, etc for use in the woods.

Best part is that you can overlay all the cache waypoints uint their maplet program called gpxtomaplet. This way as you drive around you can see where all the caches are and tap them, get info about them and route to them automatically.

You can try tehir program for free for 9 days.

After caching with me, my friend went out and bought a Axim x51 that has a GPS thinking to use it for geocaching as well as fill his PDA needs. However, the software it came with does not allow for coordinate input. I have seen on the forums that people do use this unit to geocache so our question is how? What software does he need?

(we know the gps works as he can put in addresses and get driving instructions, he just can't cache with it)

I'm using an X51v for caching hooked up with a BT Globalsat receiver. The software I use is BeelineGPS but I use iGuidance for street names to get close. So far it's worked good for me. Gonna give Backcountry a try though for a comparison.

Since your friend has a PDA, he has the nice option of trying out different software and seeing which one works best for him. A lot of them have trials so you won't have to pay for it unless you like it and want to keep it.