Same Log Entry For Different Finds

Team_LPD

Guarantee that if someone posted on their site that cookie cutter responses would be deleted, I would be among the first to post something like "TFTC". Childish, yes. It's just one of my "preferred peeves". :laughing:

I agree. It would simply result in my writing a very short, bland found-it log rather than copying and pasting a short, bland found it log.

If Lep posted to this thread, he'd agree with me.

If it's not log-worthy, it's not hunt-worthy. The lame ones don't make my To Do list in the first place.

I respect your desire to only go after the ones that interest you. Personally, I tend to fall to the other end of the spectrum. Anything that makes it through the filtering that I have built into my PQs is fair game. Generally, I don't have a 'To Do' list. All of the caches returned by my PQ live in my PDA and GPSr. If I decide to cache, I just go after the nearest. Sometimes, it turns out to be a terrific cache. Other times, it is merely 'good'.

Either way, I log what I log.

Edited by sbell111

Cookie Cutter caches get Cookie Cutter logs. I don't see that as rude, but rather kind given what I could say about some of the uninspired, me-too collections of busted McCrap that litter some suburban areas here. I understand full well that families with kids, especially in strollers, may like this, so rather than knock the cache I simply acknowledge it was there and move on.

Amen to that brother.

I own a few caches and I have tried very hard to make each of them memorable in one way or another. I still get my share of "cookie cutter" logs, but I also get my fair share of, "Wow! Great cache. Thanks for bringing me here (or "back here" in the case of UMass alumni visiting my UMass caches)" logs. If you put little effort and thought into your cache hide, expect others to put little effort and thought into their find logs. If all you get is "Found it. TNLNSL. TFTC. Bye." over and over again, that should tell you something about how memorable your cache is.

Whenever possible when logging a find, I try to "tell the story" of my find. Occasionally I even exceed the 'max word' limit for find logs (did you even know there was one??). :laughing: Check out some of my find logs to see what I mean. I get as much pleasure out of recieving the owner's "Wow! Thanks for the great log entry!" emails as I do finding the cache. Just adds to the caching experience IMHO and makes you another friend out there in the caching 'universe'. <_<

Cheers,

Matt

As others have mentioned on this topic, I try to make my logs as appropriate as possible. There are times, like the day my wife and I found 7 caches while on a 350 mile drive, where I couldn't even remember all the caches we stopped at on the way, let alone which was which. Most of the memorable ones we referred to by the memorable features. I would normally log the finds on-line that night after getting home, but in this case we were going out of town, and I didn't get a chance to log them for several days, after getting back home. Some of those logs were difficult. Worse was remembering the names of the 3 DNF's we had encountered as well. If I'm lucky, I'll make it back to that area again next year to attempt the DNF's again, and to find a few more that we just didn't have time for. Lucky for me I was "religious" about updating the caches in Cachemate as soon as we got back to our van, otherwise I wouldn't have even remembered which cache I left the Jeep TB in (sorry, and old yellow one, not a new green one).

We were at a weekend dog competition and we managed to get 7 finds (and one DNF) en-route there, 5 on Saturday evening after the competition, and 2 more finds (and the other 2 DNF's) on the way back home. I manually enter the logs on-line for each cache I visit, and I try not to use "cut-and-paste" logs, although many of the logs end-up looking like I have a "template" because I am enjoying the hunt with my wife more than the finding of the caches, not that I don't like finding the caches mind you. :o

I've done that once or twice when I've lost my notes, but ordinarily try to keep them different. This cache is an example of one that accepts Original, Unique, Personalized Logs Only

April 27 by fiddlin around (105 found)

TFTH

February 1 by tennis40love (1357 found)

Being less than an original person, I've contemplated just what I might write to meet the demands made in order to chronicle this very original, unique, personalized cache since I first read the cache page a few months ago. I find this cache to be a unique caching opportunity, in that you're not pleased with an effortless TFTH, but are requiring an original, unique, personalized log. I'm sincerely impressed with the way you have personalized the cache page by sharing pictures of your dream car and now must struggle to produce a fourth sentence since I've already discussed original, unique and personalized in these initial three sentence. I now wish to articulate my earnest gratitude for your hard work in placing this original, unique, personalized cache for us to find today which requires me to spend a little extra time and thought in logging it.

January 7 by huggy_d1 (2403 found)

I originally (and still do) despised logging requirements. I find them to be like telling me I didn't actually find the cache and pen my name in the log as my online log represents. In other words, I feel additional logging requirements are telling me I am lying about actually finding the cache. I hope my personal opinions are taken as just that, an opinion. From what I can tell, even my opinionated log meets the silly log requirements.

While I understand that maybe it's not the most thrilling thing to a hider to get a short, bland log entry, by the same token, I hated essay writing in school, and didn't exactly get into this hobby to do more essay writing. That said, I'll try to say something about the cache, but since I tend to log fairly late, sometimes the caches just kinda blend together.

Just logging a cache is OK..but, man! It's so fun to read a good story once in awhile. I discovered one discussion topic in the forums that rocks! If you're looking for a smile, go to the topic, "Funniest logs stories" (or something like that...my computer is still dial-up and I'm too lazy to go to the precise title). I hate TFTH and TFTC...would like to see, "YRAIWTMY" or "ILTCAWTMI"

"You rock and I want to meet you" "I like this cache and want to marry it."

What about cookie-cutter logs when the little ones want to branch off and have their own caching name? They might say, "Cached this with Momma (fill-in caching name) and my brother (fill in caching name), but now I'm back-logging because I'm on my own?

Personally, I dislike the "found it, TFTC" logs...if you liked it say so, if you didn't...say so too. I'm not trying to start a fight, but I'm throwing this circumstance out there.

Not only kids, but what about geodivorces?